the future of the southside

LosMediasBlancas

Not sure how many of you know the southside of the city real well, but I happened to be driving near Western and Pershing (39th) over the weekend. There is an old building which used to house the Chicago Public School headquarters, directly across the street from McKinley Park. Anyway, I saw a banner which read: 'so and so lofts coming 2006", so I went in and picked up some literature. They have 2 and 3 bedroom lofts from $270-320K. The woman was telling me that Bridegport and the surrounding areas are gonna boom and will be the new Lincoln Park in 5-7 years. Of course it got me thinking about the Sox and neighborhood and the fan base. I live on the northside, so I'm out of touch, this might be old news to some of you guys.

How do you guys feel about all of this??

living in Bridgeport, it's definitely changing. property cost is rising by the day, bigger houses and condos are being built, trucking and meat companies are slowly moving out of the Back of the Yards and Pershing area, and Halsted will eventually be a strip of stores like Starbucks and the likes.

The area round the Cell won't ever be a party haven, but within a few years, it's going to be MUCH different in terms of the way people look at it. With the renovations to the Cell, things can only get better for the White Sox on the financial end.

I'm obviously not from Chicago, but I think that'd be great if the area around the Cell started booming. I've never had any problems with all the games I've gone to, and I don't know of anyone who has. However, when I mention that I went to a Sox game, I always find myself hearing people complaining about the area. It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if it started growing.

It's going to expand way beyond Brideport. The woman also showed me the plans for all the different businesses that will be going up in the area.....Home Depot, Borders Books, Starbucks, etc.

Everything in the city goes in cycles and things are about to change again. Look for attendance to be a lot more balanced between both Chicago teams in the not so distant future. :headbang

Thought this article from Friday's Sun Times was relevant here.

Neighborhood bridges city and suburbs

January 21, 2005

BY LARRY FINLEY Real Estate Reporter

After a stay in the suburbs and a few North Side neighborhoods, Bridgeport proved to be just what the young couple wanted -- "a suburb in the city." Bridgeport now has the large, modern homes they were looking for, plus a real neighborly feel, explained Peggy Walsh, who lives there with her husband, Joe, a Chicago school teacher, and their two daughters.

"It's like living in a suburb in the city," she said. "It is very friendly. You know the people. I've met some of the people through my kids. They are the same ages and can play with each other."

The couple and their girls, Maggie, 4, and Kate, 2, have a 4-bedroom brick home in Bridgeport Village, the Near Southwest Side development that covers about 40 new city blocks along the South Branch of the Chicago River, near 3300 S. Racine.

"I lived in Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Old Town and River North," she said. "Then we moved to the suburbs for a year and didn't like it. That's when we moved into the city and it was perfect."

Walsh commutes to work at a major public relations firm downtown, either by car or on the CTA Orange Line, she said. On her trips, she is pleased to see the number of new homes in the area being built and rehabilitated.

"The proximity to the Loop is very, very convenient and there is not a lot of congestion," she said. "I moved from the North Side. I was accustomed to the traffic and never finding a parking place."

She does her major grocery shopping in the South Loop, which is between downtown and her home neighborhood. Hopefully all the new construction will encourage more commercial and retail development, she said.

Ald. James Balcer (11th) said that help is on the way. Plans are in the works to bring in more retailers as part of the city's Halsted Street redevelopment plan, he said.

"More high-end commercial development, including restaurants, shopping and mixed-in residential will be developed along Halsted," he explained.

Since Bridgeport Village began two years ago, about 10 other residential developments have started in the area, including more single-family homes, town houses and condominiums.

The number of young couples and families from popular North Side neighborhoods moving into the new, upscale development has been significant, according to Thomas A. Snitzer, president of Snitzer Homes.

"About 45 percent are from the North Side, meaning Lincoln Park, DePaul, Lake View and River North," Snitzer said. "About 25 percent are coming from the South Loop and West Loop area."

The remainder of the first 100-plus buyers there have been from the immediate neighborhood, out-of-town or the suburbs, he said. Most of them are young families or couples who want to start families, Snitzer said.

The first residents to move there were looking for housing that seemed a good value and was convenient to the Loop, he said.

"Now, people are moving here because of the community that's developed," Snitzer said. "We have had several local block properties and there are tons of kids, kids who can go out at night. It's safe. You get to know your neighbors."

People are looking for larger, single-family homes there, he said, some with optional third floors, double lots and elevators.

Home prices start at about $875,000 for a three-story, 5-bedroom model, with more than 5,700 square feet and a finished basement. The largest homes are priced at more than $1 million, have more than 6,000 square feet of space and are on 32- or 38-foot lots.

"We are almost sold out and will announce plans for more homes in the spring," he said. The sales office is at Racine Avenue and 33rd Street, (773) 254-9200.

The Bridgeport Station Lofts, at 35th and Morgan, is bringing new-construction lofts to a neighborhood that has been heavily single-family, explained Paul Marks, co-developer with Paul Dincin in Tandem Developers LLC.

"Our buyers are the sons and daughters of Bridgeport people who have a connection to the neighborhood," Marks said. "They are familiar with the neighborhood and have found an opportunity to buy something that has been unobtainable or extremely expensive until now."

Many of the residents there are buying their first home, he said. Many work for the police or fire department or the city schools, Marks said. The same combination was attracted to their earlier Bridgeport building, the Union Lofts, at 939 W. 35th St.

The Bridgeport Station Lofts all have balconies and include 1-bedroom plans at $186,900; 1-bedroom, plus den, for $209,000, and 2-bedrooms for $264,900. The 66-unit building is brick and limestone and has both indoor and outdoor parking. The four-story includes a lobby with a video security system.

Another major single-family development, Bridgeport Landing, is awaiting approval from the city for 3-1/2-acres near the river, at 2500 S. Senour.

The 42 homes, by C.A. Development, will include 29 two-story plans and 13 three-level homes. Prices are expected to start from about the mid-$300,000s to the $400,000s, according to Paul Bertsche, company vice president.

The traditional-style homes will have 3 to 7 bedrooms, 3 or 3-1/2 baths and 2,450 to 3,200 square feet. They include basements, 2-car garages and decks. Lot sizes will range from about 271/2 by 100 feet to 34 by 113 feet.

The homes, Bertsche said, should appeal to "working-class families, including policemen, fire fighters and school teachers."

The development is within about 100 yards of the South Branch of the Chicago River. Plans call for the reconstruction of Mary Street, at 1100 West, which was vacated about 30 years ago, Bertsche said. The information number for Bridgeport Landing is (773) 777-8910.

Bridgeport's popularity has attracted suburban developer James McNaughton Builders, of Hinsdale, to the city for his first Chicago project. (630) 655-0559.

He has introduced the McKinley Park Manor, 15 single-family homes and 20 town houses on Pershing Road, between Ashland and Damen.

"We are very pleased and optimistic so far," McNaughton said. "People have been coming in from the neighborhood. They want to upgrade and stay in the area."

The 3-bedroom, single-family houses start at about $450,000 and include 2-1/2 baths and 2-car garages. They average 2,200 square feet. A third floor can be added to increase the space to 3,000 square feet for about $530,000. The first floors are handicapped accessible.

Standards include: granite counter tops, air conditioning, red oak or tile flooring, carpeting, appliances and unfinished basements.

The 2,000-square-foot town houses are all three levels, with 3 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths and 2-car garages. The ground floor also has a recreation room and laundry. The second floor has a kitchen, family room, great room, study and balcony. The bedrooms and 2 baths are on the top floor. Prices start at $310,000.

the bad thing is that a lot of companies and small businesses are getting/will get forced out of the area for stores like Starbucks and Home Depot.

From the White Sox perspective though, this development is a big win.

You can find brand new, 2 bedroom condos that are going up on the west side, kinda near the United Center in the 200K range. Yes, the neighborhood is still rough, it's a bad idea if you have kids. BUT, if you're single or a young couple and are looking for a gold mine investment, do it. The homes and parking are secure, so you don't really have to hang out in the neighborhood. In less than a year or that same condo will go for 275-300K. A friend of mine did that, he made 150K profit in a year. Took the cash and moved to a home in a great neighborhood. It's easy cash if you can stick it out a year or two.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
Are there any homes in the 150-200K range in the Chicago area, or is that just funny?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Last year they had ads for the condos going up around 35th and state.  I wonder how those did?  I'll bet they exploded in price.

They haven't done anything yet. The permits are not all approved and because of that we can't sign a contract to build... :angry:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
You can find brand new, 2 bedroom condos that are going up on the west side, kinda near the United Center in the 200K range.  Yes, the neighborhood is still rough, it's a bad idea if you have kids. BUT, if you're single or a young couple and are looking for a gold mine investment, do it. The homes and parking are secure, so you don't really have to hang out in the neighborhood.  In less than a year or that same condo will go for 275-300K. A friend of mine did that, he made 150K profit in a year. Took the cash and moved to a home in a great neighborhood. It's easy cash if you can stick it out a year or two.

yeah, just go to a booming area, like Bridgeport, and then look for stuff in the surrounding areas, because most likely it will spread that way. For instance, in Bridgeport, west of Halsted. At least that's my opinion.

That's a good point, but those places will be bought out for big loot. They'll just take the loot and set up elsewhere.

QUOTE(Molto @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
the bad thing is that a lot of companies and small businesses are getting/will get forced out of the area for stores like Starbucks and Home Depot.

From the White Sox perspective though, this development is a big win.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
That's a good point, but those places will be bought out for big loot.  They'll just take the loot and set up elsewhere.

when you are dealing with small businesses, it's easier said than done.

or if you are dealing with imminent domain, which is too common in Chicago.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Ouch. :angry:

Tell me about it. It's a long treck back to Plainfield at 10:30 after the games. We started looking elsewhere for a place. Got a few leads.. hopefully we'll make a decision soon and have a place down there by May.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
The trick is to get in early, before the boom.   Make friends with people in city planning and developing or builders.   They can give you tips on where things will be in 3-5 years down the road.

The houses next to us are going for 400K and up. Ours was appraised at 250K (we begged them to go as low as possible due to taxes and such), but we have been offered 300K and up (no, we aren't selling, but people are convinced ours is one built by the guy doing the new houses).

Considering Brian paid 92K, we put 100K in it for additions and such, and since we owe a good bit less than that total, we stand to make a pretty penny if we walk away. (We've been tossing around the idea of moving near Springfield for a couple years now.)

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Tell me about it. It's a long treck back to Plainfield at 10:30 after the games. We started looking elsewhere for a place. Got a few leads.. hopefully we'll make a decision soon and have a place down there by May.

Stumbling home from Jimbos>>>>>>>Driving home from Jimbo's.

All of this is nice but it doesn't change that which immediately surrounds the Cell.

My recommendations:

1-Swap the south lots for east lots in front of the OF side of the park. This means moving the school & others to the land occupied by the south lots. This would make it more convenient to park because then you just exit the Ryan & find an entrance to the east lot parking. It should amount to a shorter walk to your seat as well. The added space should remove the need to retain the lot west of the tracks. Makes the whole experience more of a Sox experience than a hood experience.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/attr...s_map2004-2.pdf

Make the space east of the OF concourse a LOT. That would remove the need for LOTS F & G (west of the tracks) & allow cars to enter/exit via Wentworth. If it means moving the school to where LOT F is then do it.

This now provides a clear view of the Park from both the Ryan & Wentworth. A few modifications to the OF concourse wall would help illuminate & gentrify the park as a whole. So when you driving down the Ryan you would not only see the park but it would look alive.

If you have more money & the state is willing to help expand the IIT campus to the south end of the park. That area would be perfect for moving the IIT Research Center. That's not a part of the campus frequented by students much. It's the business angle of the campus.

What you gain in the move is new space to expand the IIT student campus. With that expansion you might be able to push enrollment from about 5K to 10K. Ideally if you could get the college enrollment around the park up to 20K the Sox could easily avg 30K a game at the Cell.

This is why Wrigley has such a big advantage over the Cell. Between NW,

DePaul, DeVry, & other campuses w/in a few miles from the park they are drawing from about an enrollment area of 40K students. Compare that to the 5K that surround the Cell.