One more need

Cubs Suck23

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
The Sox still  need to make one more move to get a quality Middle IF... Anybody have any ideas who we can get...

Im hoping its Tony Graffanino

Barry Larkin 100%...if not him we might as well take our chances with Valdez and Ozuna

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
Larkin will not get the starts he is looking for so he is not an option.

I've rethought this. If we keep Harris, then Larkin is viable option for the Sox. If he won't agree to backup ... that's his problem. But he'd work for the Sox.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Giants resigned him.

when? I can't find it anywhere. He is on the 40 man roster...but according to ESPN's free agent tracker...he is still a free agent.

EDIT: Found it...my bad. ESPN is wrong.

http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=b...ofile&name=2086

at bottom of page

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
when?  I can't find it anywhere.  He is on the 40 man roster...but according to ESPN's free agent tracker...he is still a free agent.

Nov. 3, 2004 - 8:22 pm et

Giants re-signed shortstop Deivi Cruz to a one-year contract.

Only a one-year deal? Even Neifi Perez got a two-year deal from the Giants. Cruz's range at shortstop is declining and there's little reason to expect him to hit .292 again. Bringing him back isn't a terrible idea, but the Giants could have looked for upgrades at shortstop and still made this move a month from now.

Nov. 3, 2004 - 8:22 pm et

Deivi Cruz's one-year deal is worth $800,000 and includes $300,000 in incentives.

That's more reasonable than expected. At that price, GM Brian Sabean shouldn't hesitate to make Cruz a utilityman if someone better comes along.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
didn't you cover this in other threads, in fact this whole subject has been covered 4 times over in the 24 hours.

Yes, i have said it several times. I guess every still thinks he is a free agent because of the espn tracker.

I think Larkin could work.. take a look see

Monday game

1b Pauly

2b Icguchi ( I will learn to spell it by all-star break!)

SS Uribe

3b Crede

Tuesday

1b Pauly

2b Uribe

SS larkin

3b Crede

Wenesday

1b Pauly

2b icguchi

SS Larkin

3b Uribe

Thrsuday

1b Gload

2b Ichguchi

SS larkin

3b Crede

Friday

1b Pauly

2b Harris

SS uribe

3b Crede

DH Larkin

Just an example how we can keep our players fresh for down the stretch

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
He be playing about 4-5 times a week

3-4 in the field and 1 as the DH to save him.

You would start him in the field four times over uribe? Even three times? Why would you rather have him dh over everett or thomas? I see no gain offensively.

Something to consider, if the Nationals don't promise a starting job, no one will.

The Nationals, supposedly the only team actively pursuing Larkin, have a solid infield with Castilla, Guzman, Vido, Wilkerson (1B? Johnson?).

Larkin ain't going to get the starting job. If he wants to play bad enough, he's going to have to take whatever team offers him the most dough to play as a backup. He can wait for an injury, or maybe sign later in the season, but he ain't going to get a guarnteed starting job from ST.

EDIT: Book it.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
:nono Say NO to Iron Glove No Range Graffy

I agree. Graffy feels like a step backwards and would cost the Sox some talent via trade. I'd rather go with Larkin if he would come to the Sox. I think he could provide good veteran leadership. I've never heard anything negative about him over the years. I think a variation of Anthraxfan's plan could work. Larkin would not only be backing up Uribe, he would also back up Crede by sliding over Uribe to play 3rd. Would Larkin be willing and able to back up 2B too? Maybe Larkin would settle for 70 games, pinch hitting, and a World Series Championship ring with the new blood Sox. :headbang

Kool aid. I know, but I am so excited about this team.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Something to consider, if the Nationals don't promise a starting job, no one will.

The Nationals, supposedly the only team actively pursuing Larkin, have a solid infield with Castilla, Guzman, Vido, Wilkerson (1B? Johnson?).

Larkin ain't going to get the starting job.  If he wants to play bad enough, he's going to have to take whatever team offers him the most dough to play as a backup.  He can wait for an injury, or maybe sign later in the season, but he ain't going to get a guarnteed starting job from ST.

EDIT: Book it.

He wants nothing less than 90 games. So i don't see him ever playing again. He will just retire i think. Not like his career was anything to be ashamed of.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
He wants nothing less than 90 games. So i don't see him ever playing again. He will just retire i think. Not like his career was anything to be ashamed of.

Exactly, if he really wants to play, he'll accept a backup job. I think the Chicago's the perfect place for him. We can definately get him some starts and late inning work. If not, oh well, he a potential Hall of Famer and he can retire as a Red.