Barons Lineup Projection

BHAMBARONS

Talked to Barons Media Director and he gave a potential lineup he of course realizes that it is still way to early to tell but this is what they were and some of his comments:

1B Travis Hinton ( Needs a Break Out Year tough hitting league and Very Tough Yard Defense is shaky)

2B: Andy Gonzalez/Pedro Lopez (Pedro is more developed at this point)

3B: Josh Feilds (Best Power hitter in Sox's System maybe needs to start at Winston)

SS: Same an 2nd

LF: Casey Rogowski (Best Batting eye in Sox's System)

CF: Brian Anderson or Michael Spidale ( Just a Matter of who doesn't make Charlotte Roster)

RF: Ryan Sweeney (Best Avg Hitter in System)

SP 1: Brandon McCarthy (Believes that McCarthy needs to start in Bham. And has excellent Strike Zone contro 89-92 MPH)

SP 2: Sean Tracey (Best Fastball 93-94 MPH)

SP 3: Kris Honel (Injuries)

SP 4: Corwin Malone (Same as Honel)

SP 5: Heath Phillips (Has a good Sinker)

Bullpen:

B.J. Lamura, Dwyane Pollok and the rest he isn't sure of

I was just seeing what anyone else though of these projections

Thanks Tom

Let's hope both Honel and Malone can get through a whole season injury free and put up some good numbers, it would definitely help our pitching depth in the minors, although we've got a number of good younger arms down at Winston Salem and Kanny.

Malone will start the season in extended spring training and will not be ready to start in the rotation at Birmingham.

Good info, not surprising to me. Even if he were completely healthy, which I do not believe he is, he is frankly better off in extended spring training.

Very important to ensure his mechanics are correct before he gets back into higher competition.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
Good info, not surprising to me.  Even if he were completely healthy, which I do not believe he is, he is frankly better off in extended spring training.

Very important to ensure his mechanics are correct before he gets back into higher competition.

From what I was told, his rehab is going well. But they (and Corwin agreed) felt it would be better for him to stay in extended until he is ready to step into a rotation, rather than start off and build himself up out of a bullpen.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
im just hoping and praying that McCarthy and Honel arenta busts  like our other highly toughted pitching prospects(diaz,rauch...)

also that anderson and sweeney arent busts like joe borchard :pray

I don't think McCarthy will dissapoint you but at this point I wouldn't expect too much out of Kris. Honel has definately had some setbacks with injuries and unless he regains his confidence (which will happen with a pickup in velocity) I think there is a good shot he doesn't pan out.

But thats just my 2 cents.

Well, Jason, aren't we the fountain of pessimism?

Well, I'll counter that!

Kris Honel will be a HOF, record over 4000 strikeouts, 512 Wins, and have precisely 11 and a half perfect games. Per season.

Alright, I'm done with me being stupid now. I predict: Will get a shot, won't do much. But he wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be decent.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 03:37 AM)
I don't think McCarthy will dissapoint you but at this point I wouldn't expect too much out of Kris.  Honel has definately had some setbacks with injuries and unless he regains his confidence (which will happen with a pickup in velocity) I think there is a good shot he doesn't pan out. 

But thats just my 2 cents.

I concur

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
on WSI some guy said he talked to Honels dad and he said that Honel was fully ready for next season and cant wait to compete so i guess thats good news.  Also refering to an earlier post i dont think diaz was really ever highly toughted pitching prospect.

Not sure how to say this properly...... Honel's dad would not say anything else, even if Kris' arm was about to fall off. I am not saying he is wrong, but just consider the source.

• 2 weeks later...
on WSI some guy said he talked to Honels dad and he said that Honel was fully ready for next season and cant wait to compete so i guess thats good news.  Also refering to an earlier post i dont think diaz was really ever highly toughted pitching prospect.

Yes he was, he was one of the top pitching specs according to many sites and he had a mid 90s fastball back in the day :crying

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
Yes he was, he was one of the top pitching specs according to many sites and he had a mid 90s fastball back in the day :crying

When exactly did he have a mid-90's fastball? I know it wasn't this past year in Birmingham. And it wasn't the year before in Winston-Salem.

I played high school baseball in the Catholic League against Honel and faced him in 2001. At that time he was throwing 95 and had the most disgusting, unhittable knucklecurve I had ever seen. He struck out 8 of the first 9 he saw, but then we somewhat knew what we were up against and adjusted our approaches. The point is Kris has/had some REALLY NASTY STUFF. I thought for sure Kris would make it to the show someday. I was really happy that he was selected by the Sox because I thought from what I saw in my 3 at-bats that this kid had some dominating stuff.

A sad part of this story is that Kris' character sucks. I personally do not know him, but I've heard some stories about him from after he signed the deal with the Sox, and they'll just make you shake your head and say "what a prick!" He also didn't show up for the Catholic League All-Star game which was a priviledge to everyone else there, but I suppose Kris had some more important things going on.

Since high school, he's lost some of his velocity. I believe he's topping out at 91MPH, but obviously had the injury last year. I really hope that Kris can rebound and earn a call from Kenny asking him to join the fellas on the South Side whether he's a prick or not. The fact is that Kris is very talented and in 2001 was definitely worthy of the number 16 overall pick.

As a side note, my school countered with Cesar Carrillo who is now the ace at The University of Miami. We lost 5-2, but Cesar will be another to keep an eye on. Another side note: I finished the game going 1-2, with a K, HBP and a single :D

Edited by BaseballNick

Ya, Honel is a confident guy, I can verify that. I alwyas thought it was the good kind of confidence, but I'm sure some of it got to his head. High draft pick, big signing bonus, you have to be really well grounded not to let it get to you.

Good stuff Nick.

I think this recent trade won't have a beginning of the season effect on the Barons lineup just because I think the Sox would be wise to start Owen at WS.