Ex-Sox Player Admits to Steroids!

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 03:10 AM)
From rotoworld:

Nomar Garciaparra will be outed as a steroids user in Jose Canseco's book, a source told Boston Dirt Dogs.

Claims made my Canseco should hardly be taken as fact, but they are being treated as news. Here's one more name to add to the list.

Wow, his name really is going to come out... I bet the Cubs thought they would ditch a lot of these issues when they dumped Sosa, now it's going to be a circus at ST for them

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
Wow, his name really is going to come out... I bet the Cubs thought they would ditch a lot of these issues when they dumped Sosa, now it's going to be a circus at ST for them

Don't gloat too damn much. We don't know who else is mentioned in that book.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Thats not actually true.

Canseco's statement was:

I injected Mark.

Either he did or he did not.

If he did, then there is no slander, defamation, etc because truth is a defense. You can not be truthful and be slanderous.

If he did not, then there is no possible way to say that he did not make the statement with out knowing it was false, or with out a reckless disregard for the truth.

By injecting himself into the statement, he has helped and hurt himself. He has first destroyed one of the arguments that he could have made in defending a defamation case, that eventhough it may be false it was not done with malice, but at the same time made it substantially harder for potential plaintiff because the burden is on them, and they will have to prove that Canseco did not do the things that he claims to have done, or seen what he claims to have seen.

Also the burden of proof in a Civil case is a lower standard, perponderance of the evidence, but that means that any plaintiff will have to bring evidence to negate Canseco's statements.

This is what will prove to be very hard. As unless they can bring in eye witnesses who can account for almost every action that was taken in the clubhouses etc, it will still come down to:

Does the jury believe Canseco, or do they believe the plaintiff?

Also, since Mark is going to be trying to prove he did not use steriods, the defense will be able to bring other evidence to prove that he did use steriods. Since the trial is public, will Mark and other players really want to go down that road.

My feeling is that they will not.

SB

Interesting choice of words there. :lol:

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
ProSportsDaily.com is quoting the Detroit Free Press (I think it was that paper) that Pudge Rodriquez has reported to spring training 20 pounds lighter. He must have worked out really hard this winter.

So has Carl Everett. :huh

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
So has Carl Everett. :huh

But Everett's weight loss was fat, due to his injuries. I think many guys will be looked at, esp those who have lost a lot of muscle weight. [Fat is another thing, like Joe Borowski, Adkins?]. I guess that's the nature of steriods. It casts suspicion on everyone

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
But Everett's weight loss was fat, due to his injuries. I think many guys will be looked at, esp those who have lost a lot of muscle weight. [Fat is another thing, like Joe Borowski, Adkins?]. I guess that's the nature of steriods. It casts suspicion on everyone

Yes, and IRod was implicated by Canseco. I really hate that this is hanging over baseball like a thick smoke cloud, but they brought it upon themselves.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
But he did have a ton of fat on him. His gut was at least 50+ inches. At Soxfest he claimed he was down to a 38 inch waist.

I guess I should have clarified. Everyone knows Everett NEEDED to lose weight, so I assumed no one would think I was implying the "S" word with Jurassic.