Rogers article about Frank

jackie hayes

Overstatement sux...

Frank hits for power, gets on base at a .400 clip (!), draws tons of walks, and you would rather have cheese whiz.  (2 years, $2 mil -- that MUST be a joke.)  Be realistic.  Frank is still, today, a great hitter.

Hits for power..

14 hr at home

4 hr on the road

But the ballpark has nothing to do with his stats?????? :bang

What would you rahter have 1 year for 1mil.,is that better? Anything more than 2-3 million is way to much money for a DH

Edited by AnthraxFan93

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
Maybe 3.. but lets see what he puts up this year before we start handing out more BS contracts much like Uribe's this year.

Maybe we should give THomas 17 mil a year cause 11 years ago he won an MVP  :rolly

Ok, obviously I don't think he should get 17. I'm not totally disagreeing with you either on the 10 mil for next year.

But, a pay cut? That is absurd and so is 2 or 3 mil per year

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
Below his worth?? WTF, 6 million when all he has to do his come up to hit 3-4times a game, compared to Caberea who playes the feild.. ooo one other question for you..

How Many WS rings does Thomas have compared to Caberea?

Thomas should get a 2 year 2mil deal with incentives..nothing more.

Do you really think it is easier to hit while not playing the ''feild'' ? If you think that is the case you would be very mistaken as stats have proven many times.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
MVP's and batting titles, How does that Help the team? It doesn't . 

Why is everytime I have an actually reality of a player you guys have to bring up Caberea? IS that your only arguement?

When was the last time Thomas did anything for this team?  Granted he is a great player just not worth what he is getting paid.  If we as a TEAM  are only having 70 mil payroll, sorry I don't want to have 1/7 of it on the DL for 1/2 a year.. Which is what Frank has done the past 4 years.

Simply the most retarded thing i have ever heard in my entire life. That mvp's and batting titles do not help a team. Wtf, are you on crack? By the way, who is this player you speak of on the sox making 1/7th of the payroll? :huh:

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Simply the most retarded thing i have ever heard in my entire life.  That mvp's and batting titles do not help a team. Wtf, are you on crack? By the way,  who is this player you speak of on the sox making 1/7th of the payroll? :huh:

It could have been Maggilo Ordonez, if it were up to some people.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Enough with the Cabrera talk, we all know we lost out on a great SS, its okay KW managed to cover his tracks

Your right Frank was not on the DL, but he didn't put up any decent numbers since 00, to be payed the type of money. 

When you sit there and say Thomas should get paid 10mil for 06 for .260/35/80 ish .. Who is the Cub Fan then? That is Sosa-like..And Sosa is vastly overpaid.

You do know that there is a 3.5 million dollar buy out right? Probally not. Anyway, the sox will not be be asking themselves if he is worth ten million dollars. The question they will be asking themselves is if he is worth 6.5 million dollars. Which the vast majority of baseball will tell you he is a bargain at that price. Considering he will put up better offensive numbers than 95% of baseball if not more when healthy.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Hits for power..

14 hr at home

4 hr on the road

But the ballpark has nothing to do with his stats??????  :bang

What would you rahter have 1 year for 1mil.,is that better? Anything more than 2-3 million is way to much money for a DH

Are you saying he does not hit for power? Never can tell with you. Just so you know he only played 74 games last year and if i recall correctly the last 19 games he played he was pretty hurt. In that time span his average declined from .298 to .271. In that time span he only hit two homeruns. Good chance if he did not get injured last year he was more than capable of leading the american league in homeruns. I am guessing it would have not been good enough if he only led the american league and not all of baseball though, correct? You are talking just plain ol' silly with the amount of money he deserves.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
You do know that there is a 3.5 million dollar buy out right? Probally not. Anyway, the sox will not be be asking themselves if he is worth ten million dollars. The question they will be asking themselves is if he is worth 6.5 million dollars. Which the vast majority of baseball will tell you he is a bargain at that price. Considering he will put up better offensive numbers than 95% of baseball if not more when healthy.

That was one of the surprises in the article (for me, anyway) -- Rogers made it sound as if Frank is as good as gone, no matter what he does this year. That makes no sense -- at $6.5 mil, how in the world can you not take that option? Jeromy Burnitz just got $5 mil, and we think we can do better than Frank w/ that sum?

Actually, you're not exactly correct. Frank's player option is $10 million. The White Sox team option is $12 million. Frank would have to choose to stay for $10 million. The White Sox could choose to give him $12 million or buyout his contract for $3.5 million, regardless of what Frank chooses. So if Frank declines his $10 million player option, the Sox would have to decide if he is worth $8.5 million ($12 million team option - $3.5 million buyout).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650383

The two-time AL MVP wound up re-signing with the only team he's ever played for, agreeing to a one-year deal with three mutual options that guaranteed him $22.5 million.

In addition to the $6 million option for next season, he has ones for $8 million in 2005 and $10 million in 2006, a year that has a $3.5 million club buyout attached to it.

Even if Thomas had declined the option, the White Sox could have held onto him by exercising an $8 million option. The White Sox also have options of $11 million in 2005 and $12 million in 2006.

Edited by Jabroni

It would be nice to see Frank get a long term, player/front office deal that ensures he stays with the Sox and in a couple years transitions into coaching staff or front office PR work.

Agreed. I don't exactly know how he is at tutoring other players but Frank could make a sick hitting coach when he retires.

And if you can honestly sit there and tell me that Frank is overpaid and needs to take a pay cut to stay with The Sox with some of the other salaries out there, then you have been listening to your I'm The Man CD way too damn loud.

I wouldn't exercise the $12 million option on Frank next year unless he does something this year to change my mind. If Frank exercised his $10 million option (which he will do) then I'd still think about buying him out at $3.5 million. Frank is getting older and injuries are becoming more common with him. As a guy who can't play the field, I wouldn't pay him big bucks.

I truly think Frank's time in Chicago is done.

To be using "because he won a World Series" argument, I guess we should sign every crappy player who has a championship ring because he won a World Series right?

Don't make me get into a stats argument now either.

No we just sign the ones who haven't won anything to 3-4 year deals to play SS, when their stats are vastly overrated because of thier home park. But, you guys here think that he is the next Tejada..

Gwety...Here is some simple math, If Frank makes 10 Mill Next season and our payroll is at 70..

__

=

1/7 of our payroll.. to give us Sosa like numbers..

I wouldn't exercise the $12 million option on Frank next year unless he does something this year to change my mind. If Frank exercised his $10 million option (which he will do) then I'd still think about buying him out at $3.5 million. Frank is getting older and injuries are becoming more common with him. As a guy who can't play the field, I wouldn't pay him big bucks.

I truly think Frank's time in Chicago is done.

The only way I pick up that 12mil is if Frank Wins the MVP.. otherwise we are paying 12mil a year for 1/2 a player. I just don't see him putting up .300/35/100 anytime soon.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
To be using "because he won a World Series" argument, I guess we should sign every crappy player who has a championship ring because he won a World Series right?

Don't make me get into a stats argument now either.

How many WS rings does Scott Schoenweis have?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Actually, you're not exactly correct.  Frank's player option is $10 million.  The White Sox team option is $12 million.  Frank would have to choose to stay for $10 million.  The White Sox could choose to give him $12 million or buyout his contract for $3.5 million, regardless of what Frank chooses.  So if Frank declines his $10 million player option, the Sox would have to decide if he is worth $8.5 million ($12 million team option - $3.5 million buyout).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650383

I believe they can still buy him out after exercises his ten million dollar option. No?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
There is an idea, buy him out and then have him play for league min for 2 years.. that should be fine.. about 4 mil

A hitter with a .434 OBP playing for the league min over the next 2 seasons. Alrighty then. :huh: