SouthSide Bars ...

retro1983hat

I live in the NW suburbs and would like to go to one of the bars around the Cell when I go to one of my Ozzie's nine games this year. Besides Jimbos, what are some of the other ones that you can walk to (safely) before and after the games.

Well, if the criteria is "walk to" then your options are limited in Bridgeport. Here are some of my favorite places to get a cold beer and perhaps a sandwich either before or after the game (not necessarily in order of preference):

Ricobene's, 26th and Wells. Breaded steak sandwiches have gone downhill but you can get pizza by the slice or a very good Italian beef. They have Bud, Bud Light, and Michelob on draught for a reasonable price. Very casual.

Puffer's, 33rd and Halsted. Both the crowd and the beer selection are a bit unique, lots of Sox fans in there. No food but several varieties of beer.

Schallers Pump, 37th and Halsted. Oldest tavern in the city. Good, cheap food, MGD and Miller Lite on draught, lots of cheap beer in cans. Family owned and operated since 1881.

There's a bar at 32nd and Normal that quickman likes, it's just a corner tavern, called either Home Plate or First Base. It's ok for a beer, not much else. Neighborhood crowd.

I do not recommend the Catchers Inn at 35th and Lithuanica. It was a little scary the last two times I was in there, and I'm originally from Bridgeport and generally can navigate through just about any scenario.

Cobblestone's at 39th and Normal is more of a small Italian restaurant (good food) and a small bar area, although I'm told they remodeled.

Jimbo's is probably the best for Sox fans, both before and after a game, and as you mention is walking distance.

There is another tavern which can be kind of fun after the games called Shinnicks at 38th and Union. No draught beer but it's kind of a cop/fireman bar so obviously it's very safe. The Shinnick family and the Schaller family are related by marriage and after a nite game it gets to be a decent party in there. They might have food but not much to speak of.

The best place of course is my 92 yr. old great aunt's house, seeing as she keeps the fridge stocked with all sorts of cold beer for me ... however, it's via invite only :lol:

A great place to stop for a burger/chili and a cold beer either before or after the games is Lindy's Chili at Archer and Western, another Chicago institution, since 1924. They have Rolling Rock on draught, among others. Get a burger, bowl of chili and ask for the fries to be well done. Very good, and cheap.

IMO the best Italian food in the neighborhood is Bertucci's at 24th and Princeton.

There is another very old tavern which is kinda quiet but they have very cold MGD in bottles, that's Boston Tavern on 26th just west of Canal. Similarly, the Redwoods Lounge at 33rd and Wallace. Redwoods is a neighborhood place and a good place to just hang out for a while and listen to the senior citizen guys tell White Sox stories. Don't expect to run across many women in there though.

Two good places for Mexican food are Tacos Erindera, soon moving to 32nd and Halsted, and Pancho Pistoles which is at 31st and Union. Pancho Pistoles serves liquor, Tacos Erendira will be BYOB for a while. Great margaritas at Pancho Pistoles and it gets quite lively in there at night, but it's more a restaurant than bar. They have a new upstairs area as well and it's a place I recommend. Tacos Erindera is currently at 35th and Halsted and has IMO some of the best burritos in the city, cheap too. Authentic Mexican.

There you go, that should give you a head start.

Well, if the criteria is "walk to" then your options are limited in Bridgeport. Here are some of my favorite places to get a cold beer and perhaps a sandwich either before or after the game (not necessarily in order of preference):

I do not recommend the Catchers Inn at 35th and Lithuanica. It was a little scary the last two times I was in there, and I'm originally from Bridgeport and generally can navigate through just about any scenario.

Jim , thanks for that very informative response. I would just like to add a few things.

Firstly, regarding the Catcher's Inn. I completely understand your opinion. However, I'm from Buffalo Grove and I've been there several times and I get such a hoot out of it. Yes, it is a dump and one should be prepared for that. But, this is about as authentic a neighborhood bar as there is. There are definitely regulars there and they are Sox fans and they are fun to observe and converse with if you choose. Also, the drinks couldn't be any cheaper. I don't think I could drink $10 worth of booze there without passing out. They now have a big screen and music videos too. I brought my wife once, who was raised in Glencoe, and she had fun with me - I've never had a problem of any kind there.

Also, I love to go to Chinatown before a game - if you want to eat a meal and walk around.

I'd love to hear of more experiences from people.

Firstly, regarding the Catcher's Inn. I completely understand your opinion. However, I'm from Buffalo Grove and I've been there several times and I get such a hoot out of it. Yes, it is a dump and one should be prepared for that. But, this is about as authentic a neighborhood bar as there is. There are definitely regulars there and they are Sox fans and they are fun to observe and converse with if you choose. Also, the drinks couldn't be any cheaper. I don't think I could drink $10 worth of booze there without passing out. They now have a big screen and music videos too. I brought my wife once, who was raised in Glencoe, and she had fun with me - I've never had a problem of any kind there.

Also, I love to go to Chinatown before a game - if you want to eat a meal and walk around.

I'd love to hear of more experiences from people.

Very glad you posted this.

Just goes to show, things can be different from nite to nite. I will cautiously give Catchers Inn another try, maybe before a game this time.

Agree totally on Chinatown. If a person walks around and isn't afraid to be a little adventurous, there are fantastic places there. I loved King Wah at 2225 S. Wentworth, it has now changed names. The chef is still the same but the owner is different. Tons of very good places in Chinatown.

I am not much of a Connies Pizza guy but that is also a renowned spot on Archer Ave. but there isn't much of a bar in there. If people like to get something quick and cheap and don't mind fried shrimp/fish ... The Chicago Shrimp Co. at 31st and roughly Parnell, and Lawrence Fisheries right at the Chicago River and Canal Street. Lawrence Fisheries is dirt cheap and they've been around for at least 50 years.

There's a decent Chinese place at 32nd and Halsted on the east side of the street called Ed's Potsticker House, it's open very late and they serve drinks in there. Also, Three Happiness has opened a place down the block (south) from Ed's, I have not eaten there yet but word around the neighborhood is it's pretty good.

One more ... an Italian sandwich pizza/sandwich place at the corner of 26th and Wallace ... it keeps changing names, I think it's Punky's now. That's an excellent place to pick up a few sandwiches and then go over to the lots and tailgate.

The article mentioned La Milanese at 32nd and May, about 1.5 miles west of the ballpark ... they are only open weekdays and there were rumors they were planning to close, don't know the current status.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
what about ponchonellos????  is it still there...  ???  I actually danced there..  and "picked up" !!!!!

not "pole dancing" just drunk dancing... just what ya want to see a drunk idiot dancing... but like I said it worked... although I never called her again..

what about ponchonellos????  is it still there...  ???  I actually danced there..  and "picked up" !!!!!

Punchinello's!!! Roughly 31st and Wells. That's a "hi ya doin'" joint.

Sometimes it's open, sometimes it's not. Sometimes there are mobsters in there, sometimes there aren't. Hi ya doin'.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)

I would not go to punchenello's unless you are from Bridgeport or know someone from Bridgeport and I would advise you DEFINTELY NOT try to pick up chicks there. The place is very cliquey... JMO...

I would stick with Jimbos, Shallers, or shinnicks. You also park for free at Shallers... :gosox3:

I would advise you DEFINTELY NOT try to pick up chicks there.  The place is very cliquey... JMO...

Agree.

Would go so far as to say it's the Understatement of the Year.

A Punchinellos story ...

One time I walk in there by myself before a Sox game, it's before the gates at the park opened up, maybe about 5 pm. I'm thirsty so I walk in.

Here's 6-7 guys with suits and ties and dark glasses, all yukking it up and having a few beers, two extremely attractive blonde women cavorting amongst the guys, and two well dressed bartenders behind the bar.

The place almost stops dead when I walk in, I happen to be wearing a blue dress shirt and dress slacks. I immediately know I do not belong, and start to walk out, just as one of the guys yells out, "We're Closed!"

It was just like that old Sesame Street song ... "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong."

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
Very glad you posted this.

Just goes to show, things can be different from nite to nite.  I will cautiously give Catchers Inn another try, maybe before a game this time.

Agree totally on Chinatown.  If a person walks around and isn't afraid to be a little adventurous, there are fantastic places there.  I loved King Wah at 2225 S. Wentworth, it has now changed names.  The chef is still the same but the owner is different.  Tons of very good places in Chinatown.

I am not much of a Connies Pizza guy but that is also a renowned spot on Archer Ave. but there isn't much of a bar in there.  If people like to get something quick and cheap and don't mind fried shrimp/fish ... The Chicago Shrimp Co. at 31st and roughly Parnell, and Lawrence Fisheries right at the Chicago River and Canal Street.  Lawrence Fisheries is dirt cheap and they've been around for at least 50 years.

There's a decent Chinese place at 32nd and Halsted on the east side of the street called Ed's Potsticker House, it's open very late and they serve drinks in there.  Also, Three Happiness has opened a place down the block (south) from Ed's, I have not eaten there yet but word around the neighborhood is it's pretty good.

One more ... an Italian sandwich pizza/sandwich place at the corner of 26th and Wallace ... it keeps changing names, I think it's Punky's now.  That's an excellent place to pick up a few sandwiches and then go over to the lots and tailgate.

The article mentioned La Milanese at 32nd and May, about 1.5 miles west of the ballpark ... they are only open weekdays and there were rumors they were planning to close, don't know the current status.

Punky's is still Punky's. There was a place there years ago, I knew the owners, that was pretty good, but they closed down and since it's jumped a few times from owner to owner. Now, I believe the business is pretty stable.

La Milanese is still around. They were going to close it down because the parents were going to retire, but the son decided to keep it open. They aren't open all-year round ... they don't really need to be.

As far as Mexican food ... Panchos Pistollas is pretty good, nice atmosphere clean, but I go to Los Commales (spelling?) ... it's not as popular within bridgeport, but I personally think it's better than the other two.

Gio's, which is located where my family's old place used to be (we retired and gave the business to them), is good. Prices are a bit high, but the food is good. It's always packed.

I'm not a bar guy ... don't drink or any of that stuff so I can't comment on bars.

As far as Mexican food ... Panchos Pistollas is pretty good, nice atmosphere clean, but I go to Los Commales (spelling?) ... it's not as popular within bridgeport, but I personally think it's better than the other two.

Is that the place on 31st St. near the currency exchange at 31st and Wallace?

The Bedalow's used to own the place at 26th and Wallace (at least 12 years ago) and you're right it has changed hands a few times.

I also like that Chinese place right across the street, if for no other reason than to say hello to the Charlie's Angels ball buster looking woman behind the counter. She is about the only woman I know that I consider calling "sir".

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Yes, I know it now, it's out near Lindy's.

there are a few of them. one is closer, by like Archview.

I usually go there with a friend of mine, who's Mexican, because I never see non-Mexican other then myself. Plus, the workers speak very very little english. that's kinda why it isn't as popular as a Panchos Pistollas, at least in my opinion. Panchos is more for neighborhood people.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
not "pole dancing" just drunk dancing...  just what ya want to see a drunk idiot dancing...  but like I said it worked...  although I never called her again..

I wouldn't suggest going back there... :ph34r:

There was a Mexican joint somewhere on 31st street that served 15-inch long burritos.  I haven't been there in over ten years, so I have no idea if it is still there.

That was Pancho Pistoles in its previous incarnation. It was basically a takeout joint with a few formica tables. Now it's a very nice sit down place with reasonable prices and a full liquor license.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Agree.

Would go so far as to say it's the Understatement of the Year.

A Punchinellos story ...

One time I walk in there by myself before a Sox game, it's before the gates at the park opened up, maybe about 5 pm.  I'm thirsty so I walk in.

Here's 6-7 guys with suits and ties and dark glasses, all yukking it up and having a few beers, two extremely attractive blonde women cavorting amongst the guys, and two well dressed bartenders behind the bar.

The place almost stops dead when I walk in, I happen to be wearing a blue dress shirt and dress slacks.  I immediately know I do not belong, and start to walk out, just as one of the guys yells out, "We're Closed!"

It was just like that old Sesame Street song ... "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong."

Well it didn't seem that bad to me since I am welcome there ;)

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Well it didn't seem that bad to me since I am welcome there ;)

LMAO.. :lol:

Frist time I took Jim there he went in without me cause I was on the phone.. after 45 seconds I realize I sent him in alone :unsure: .. I walk in and there he was smoking a cigar with a few of the other "customers" ;)

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Schallers Pump, 37th and Halsted.  Oldest tavern in the city.  Good, cheap food, MGD and Miller Lite on draught, lots of cheap beer in cans.  Family owned and operated since 1881.

There is another tavern which can be kind of fun after the games called Shinnicks at 38th and Union.  No draught beer but it's kind of a cop/fireman bar so obviously it's very safe.  The Shinnick family and the Schaller family are related by marriage and after a nite game it gets to be a decent party in there.  They might have food but not much to speak of.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

My Dad says it's actually 1880, and we were the first to get a liquor license in Chicago, not the Berghoff place. My Uncle George runs Shinnick's.