39 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #4?

• Cedric Benson - RB
    • Mike Williams - WR
    • Braylon Edwards - WR
    • Cadillac Williams - RB
    • Derrick Johnson - LB
    • Other

Edwards is the top WR in the draft. He has the 40 time. Therefore, I think Angelo and company would go with him here.

However, I have been preaching trade down here forever...a trade down here, IMO, is the smartest choice. One of Derrick Johnson, Troy Williamson, and Cadillac Williams will be available at 12, and the Bears could use any of them, quite frankly...all could very well be playmakers at their spots, though DJ and Caddy moreso then Williamson. And at 28, you take a CB from a group of like Miller-Washington-Browner-McFadden for depth or even a possible starter.

In the 2nd round, you can take a receiver(like Mathis, who I absolutely love) if you dont in the first, you can take a RB for depth(though I would wait till 4th round, quite honestly, and I would look to pick up a guy like Moats, Harris, Houston, or Addy's boy Gore)...perhaps, if they feel necessary, they can trade and get a 3rd round pick and assure themselves of getting a back, but I don't think that's necessary.

So anyways, after rambling, I'll say that I think if they stay at 4, they'll take Edwards, but if they don't, they would be making a wise choice.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
I'm really starting to think the Bears are gonna take Cedric Benson.

And why wouldn't they?

Four straight years with over 1,000 yards rushing. The kid is a natural talent. He can and will contribute from the first time he steps on the field he rookie year. If drafted, the Bears have the RB of the future. He's got a winning personality, a nice look with the dreds, and a good head on his shoulders. He could be the face of the organization in two years time.

I'm SO Pro-Benson it's sick.

Brylan Edwards

No on

Mike Williams.. David Terll Part 2

Benson.. Why Draft A RB when you have one in Jones.. Who was the best player on the offense last year?

Derick Johnson.. The Bears don't need more Defesive help this early in the Draft.. IMO Day 1 is all Offense for the bears.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Brylan Edwards

No on

Benson.. Why Draft A RB when you have one in Jones.. Who was the best player on the offense last year?

Derick Johnson.. The Bears don't need more Defesive help this early in the Draft.. IMO Day 1 is all Offense for the bears.

Ok how about you explain why not on Edwards.

Mike Williams is nothing like DT, Williams can run better routes and he catches anything that is thrown at him.

Jones was our best player last year.... but how much is that saying?

and Derrick Johnson is a stud LB with the skills to be the next Ray Lewis.

in all actuality it will be any of these 4 guys or Ronnie Brown if he lasts this long. Anyones guess is as good as the next.

Me personally id like s to either go with Williams or Derrick Johnson.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Brylan Edwards

No on

Sorry dude, but you are way off on that.

-Mike Williams as the next David Terrell? No friggin way. Williams is a really quite the talent. The main difference between Terrell and Williams: Williams catches each and every "catchable" ball thrown to him. EVERY ONE. You never, and I mean never, see him dropping balls he should catch. Immediately, that puts him in front of both Terrell and Edwards. As many will tell you, Edwards drops his fair share of easy, "catchable" balls. He has a much better head on his shoulder. He catches everything in sight and he is a serious redzone presence (something Terrell never was).

-Why Benson? Read the post above. This kid is really talented runner. I am a big fan of Thomas Jones, but Benson is the RB of the future. He has the makeup to be one of the league's premier backs, truly, in the upper-tier.

-I agree with you on Derrick Johnson. Although he is going to be a great one in the NFL, he simply doesn't fit at the #4 spot. He'll fall and a team will be happy to snag him. Unless someone really slips in the second or third round, day one should be all O.

Shouldn't the fourth pick be someone who will have an immediate impact?

I wouldn't mind the Bears grabbing Benson, but if they do, they should probably just look to dump Thomas Jones. While running back by committee is sounds nice and all, in reality, players are so competitive that they want the bulk of the carries (the majority of times).

I'd assume there'd be some market for Jones, but Lovie loves depth, so they'd probably keep both.

I'd still go with Derrick Johnson, but I can't see myself being mad if they grab Benson/Williams. The only pick I'd be mad at is if they grabbed a QB...

Ok how about you explain why not on Edwards.

Mike Williams is nothing like DT, Williams can run better routes and he catches anything that is thrown at him.

Jones was our best player last year.... but how much is that saying?

and Derrick Johnson is a stud LB with the skills to be the next Ray Lewis.

in all actuality it will be any of these 4 guys or Ronnie Brown if he lasts this long.  Anyones guess is as good as the next.

Me personally id like s to either go with Williams or Derrick Johnson.

Williams Runs a 4.6 40.. That is slow for a WR.. He spent an entire year trying to fix this and still managed a slow time. Williams is going to be the biggest bust in the draft. He was a middle 1st round pick in 04, and now becuase of this week draft class is a top 5 pick after not playing a year?

Jones..The man had NO O-line, NO QB and NOt one WR worth a damn.. and still managed to put up great numbers.. But, lets toss him to the side for another RB.. :chair

Derrick Johnson.. As much as you hype him up you would think that the other 3 teams above us would want him...Have 3 stud LB.. That does great for the OF.. RIght? We need help on that side of the ball Hunter is fund as our OLB..Look at Rosey and Holdman both were 4th ROund picks..You can get another LB on Day 2.

Now WHy on Edwards..

Great Hands, Fast, PLayed in the 2nd toughest confernece in football, is strong as hell, would make a nice addtion for grossman.

IMO, I want the bears to trade down grab 2 firsts.. Then draft heath Miller and Mark Clayton.. Fixes alot of needs on this team.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Jones..The man had NO O-line, NO QB and NOt one WR worth a damn.. and still managed to put up great numbers.. But, lets toss him to the side for another RB.. :chair

Two words: Value pick.

It's not a matter of tossing Jones aside, it's a matter of improving the RB position with one of the best talents in the draft. Jones is an above average back in the NFL. No argument there. No doubt about it. But, you need to think big picture. A Grossman-Benson tandum posses a serious offensive threat for years to come. I, too, and a big fan of Thoma Jones, but a talent the likes of Benson should not be overlooked simply because there is an above average back on the roster.

Two words: Value pick.

It's not a matter of tossing Jones aside, it's a matter of improving the RB position with one of the best talents in the draft.  Jones is an above average back in the NFL.  No argument there.  No doubt about it.  But, you need to think big picture.  A Grossman-Benson tandum posses a serious offensive threat for years to come.  I, too, and a big fan of Thoma Jones, but a talent the likes of Benson should not be overlooked simply because there is an above average back on the roster.

When Grossman/Line were healthy Jones lead the league in TD and Yards.. THat to me is more than above avg back.. Someone that leads the entire NFL, to me that is a great back..

WR is now the biggest need with OL, next in line RB and QB are the 2 least of our conserns..

I have no worries, JA is by far the best GM in the city and knows what he is doing.

Edited by AnthraxFan93

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
When Grossman/Line were healthy Jones lead the league in TD and Yards.. THat to me is more than above avg back.. Someone that leads the entire NFL, to me that is a great back..

WR is now the biggest need with OL, next in line RB and QB are the 2 least of our conserns..

I have no worries, JA is by far the best GM in the city and knows what he is doing.

Jones is not a "great" back. Tomlinson is a great back. Priest Holmes is a great back. Alexander is a great back. Ricky Williams was a great back.

Benson has the potential to rank amongst the great backs. Jones does not. Check out his past statistics. He has bounced around the league for a reason. He can actually be considered a bust for how high he was drafted. I'm not saying he isn't good, but he will never be amongst the league's elite.

Jones is not a "great" back.  Tomlinson is a great back.  Priest Holmes is a great back.  Alexander is a great back.  Ricky Williams was a great back.

Benson has the potential to rank amongst the great backs.  Jones does not.  Check out his past statistics.  He has bounced around the league for a reason.  He can actually be considered a bust for how high he was drafted.  I'm not saying he isn't good, but he will never be amongst the league's elite.

And what do all 3 of those "Great" back have in common???

A great OL.. something Jones never has had...

Look at the numbers.. There was a reason the Cheifs were after him the year before, in case Holmes could not start they wanted Jones.. Who can be an Elite back running behind one the worse lines in NFL history..

You can't sit there and say that Benson is going to be a stud.. in the NFL ...Jus think that back in 99 Cade McClown was touted as the most ready of all the QB coming out that year..

In 95, Kijana Carter was a "Can't miss" RB.. and then poof gone

In 98 Curtis Enis, was another "Can't miss RB" ...enuff said..

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
And what do all 3 of those "Great" back have in common???

A great OL.. something Jones never has had...

Look at the numbers.. There was a reason the Cheifs were after him the year before, in case Holmes could not start they wanted Jones.. Who can be an Elite back running behind one the worse lines in NFL history..

You can't sit there and say that Benson is going to be a stud.. in the NFL ...Jus think that back in 99 Cade McClown was touted as the most ready of all the QB coming out that year..

In 95, Kijana Carter was a "Can't miss" RB.. and then poof gone

In 98 Curtis Enis, was another "Can't miss RB" ...enuff said..

By those standards, you can't say anyone will be a success in the NFL coming out of the college game.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Just a team that is relying on defense to win games, needs atleast 2 good running backs.

I don't think that thought is doubted.

I think what people are wondering is if you take that RB at 4, or if you take it at 36(or 39...whatever the Bears 2nd round pick is)

As an outsider looking in, I have mentioned it quite a few times...I think a trade down could be the smartest thing the Bears could do. If you trade down with San Diego(who has 12 and 28), you will likely be looking at atleast WR-CB/OL, and there is a chance, and I would actually say a good chance, that one of Cadillac and Benson slips to 12. For starters, you would already have Minnesota hoping and praying that Tampa Bay picks Caddy/Benson at 5, because if they don't, the best WR at 7 would be Troy Williamson...I think he is high at 9(though, unlike what I said before, I could see him going there to Washington)...he is way too high at 7. It essentially forces Minnesota to take like Derrick Johnson, and while that is not a bad thing, it keeps them away from what they wanted, that being an elite WR. If that were to happen(say, hypothetically, it goes SF-Rodgers, MIA-Brown, CLE-Smith, SD-Edwards, TB-MWill, TEN-XXX), that leaves only 1 team from 7 to 12 that needs a RB...Tennessee has Brown, Minnesota has RBs up the ass, Washington has Portis, Lions have Jones, Dallas has Jones...only Arizona has a need for a RB, and they could be looking at Rolle 1st round while trying to pick up JJ Arrington later on...if that were to happen, that leaves Chicago with their choice of Benson and Caddy...at 12, along with another 1st round pick to go with it.

Now, San Diego could take Williams(him being SoCal and all), Tampa Bay could then take Caddy/Benson, Minnesota would take Edwards, Arizona could then take the RB Tampa does not draft, and Williamson could go to Washington...but even then, you still have Derrick Johnson who will probably be available at 12, and he's not a bad value pick there at all.

As of right now, you will get Benson, Caddy, Williams, or Edwards at 4, guaranteed...so there is no risk there. However, trading down, while a risk for you to not get your man, I think is a smart move here.

umm Anthrax just messed up. For most of their careers Ricky Williams had a horrible line in Miami and the Chargers O-Line have been anything but good for Tomlinson. Fact is behind a good line Jones looked amazing but than we saw his true self when the line fell apart. What made it even worse, in the few games A-Train started with the same bad line he outperformed Jones.

Benson like Ricky and Tomlinson will make an impact even if we have a bad line something Thomas Jones for sure didnt do.

and we all ready saw what Benson could do with a bad offense, He was for basicly the whole time until that final game the Texas whole offense and he was able to carry them unlike Thomas Jones did for us.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
umm Anthrax just messed up.  For most of their careers Ricky Williams had a horrible line in Miami and the Chargers O-Line have been anything but good for Tomlinson.  Fact is behind a good line Jones looked amazing but than we saw his true self when the line fell apart.  What made it even worse, in the few games A-Train started with the same bad line he outperformed Jones.

Benson like Ricky and Tomlinson will make an impact even if we have a bad line something Thomas Jones for sure didnt do.

All I need to know about Benson is that he ran for over 1000 yards this past year with Vince Young as QB, who threw for 1849 yards. That tells me that Benson was probably facing 7 and 8 man boxes consistently, and was still running everywhere.

PS...Benson ran for 1834 yards...only 15 fewer yards then how many Young threw for.