Rosters

Bullard

Well the rosters are pretty much set. I noticed a post that mentioned I would most likely begin the year in Charlotte. Well unfortunately the post did not come true. I am the opening night starter in Bham. I had a good spring but after all the guys came down from big league camp, some of us in the org. were pushed back a level or two. So along with myself here is the rest of the Bham team for 2005:

Starters

Bullard

Tracey

Pacheco

Lubisich

Honel

Relievers

Meaux

Reynoso

Malone

Pollok

Jenks

Lamura

Willie Glen

Infield

Rogo

Gray

Gonzo

Haggerty

Fields

Reyes

Catchers

Aceves

Stewart

OF

Owens

Young

Sweeney

Blakely

For Charlotte it goes something like this:

Starters

Adkins

Stewart

McCarthy

Phillips

Villacis

Relievers

Baj

Smith

Fields

Winklesas

Sanders

Munoz

Walker

Infielders

Toca

Becker

Trace Coquillette

Lopez

Donny Leon

Felix Martinez

OF

Biko

Anderson

Spidale

Giambi

Alvarez

Borchard

C

Davis

Casanova

Burke

I dont recall the other 3 affiliates rosters, mainly because I didnt even look at them! Hopefully this info will help make the beginning of the season a little easier to prepare for.

Bull :crying

Thanks for that Bull, it looks like you were squeezed out of a rotation spot by a couple of factors out of your control, but we're all rooting for ya.

I'm a little suprised to see Heath Phillips starting at Charlotte, after only 1 full year at B-Ham, but he had a nice BB/K ratio and he doesn't walk many, so hopefully he can make the most of his oppurtunity, I doubt he'll have an ERA better than what he posted last year, 4.02 though. Rex, knows more about him than anyone, so it'll be interesting to see his thoughts on everything.

And it's good to see Munoz in the pen, that's where his future should be long - term. Hopefully he can pitch like he did early last season.

And Chris Young, skipping high A ball at Winstom - Salem going straight to Birmingham, that's interesting indeed.

Bull thanks for the info and sorry to hear you are coming back to Birmingham. Perhaps I'll let you buy me a beer or two sometime this year. I know this isn't where you want to be, but I you have been good for Birmingham, so it's good to have you back. :cheers on the Opening Night start.

Some of this surprised me........ I had heard Young was making a push to start in Bham, but didn't really think it would happen. I am excited about getting to see him play. I pretty much knew Lopez was headed for AAA, especially when Valdez was lost.

One thing that surprised me is that Malone will be heading north. I had been told he would rehab in extended ST until he was ready to start. Heard that as recently as the beginning of ST.

Phillips and Villacis both making the AAA rotation did surprise me some also. I had hopes for Bull making the Charlotte bullpen, but when you have five deserving lefties, something has to give. In all honesty, I had kind of forgotten about Dave Sanders.

The AA bullpen should be pretty strong. I didn't know the Sox has signed Willie Glen, but I think he will help. He is a smallish guy who has a pretty good arm. He played college ball at Evansville, so I have been somewhat familiar with him.

Ace has got be sick of Bham, but its a chance to play ball.

Looking at AAA, six outfielders seems pretty odd. You listed 27 players on the AAA roster so someone will have to move somewhere, whether it is in a trade or the DL. As listed, there are 12 pitchers, six infielder, six outfielders and three catchers. Something has to give there.

I'm surprised Becker got sent to Charlotte, but then again I was surprised to see that he had re-signed anyway. I hope Spidale gets the chance to play everyday, but I don't see it happening. Bull, any chance Spidale's arm had gotten any better????

Where did Felix Martinez come from? I have heard of Coquillete, but don't know anything about him.

That's all, off the top of my head. Thanks again, Bull. PM me if you want to buy me a beer sometime! :)

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
Is that Pedro Lopez in AAA???

now you can see how the loss of Valdez has a ripple effect on the entire org.

I don't get why this guy is thought of so highly in the org. His numbers aren't very good. I expect him to struggle in AAA, at least at first, just because he hasn't done exceptionally well at the lower levels. Plus, he barely played any AA. And what's with Young skipping W-S? So much for him being 'raw'.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 06:52 AM)
I don't get why this guy is thought of so highly in the org. His numbers aren't very good. I expect him to struggle in AAA, at least at first, just because he hasn't done exceptionally well at the lower levels. Plus, he barely played any AA. And what's with Young skipping W-S? So much for him being 'raw'.

AA will be a challenge for Young, but apparently he had a really good spring. The love for Lopez is all in his hands. He is extremely smooth at SS. Not so great a hitter, but a damned good defensive SS.

It's interesting that Jenks is in the bullpen in AA. Is he still injured?

Looking at his stats, he's only given up 5 HR's in 163 1/3 IP pitching in AA and above. Though he has a high BB total, that he's not giving up the long ball certainly helps keep his ER's low

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
Bull thanks for the info and sorry to hear you are coming back to Birmingham.  Perhaps I'll let you buy me a beer or two sometime this year. I know this isn't where you want to be, but I you have been good for Birmingham, so it's good to have you back.  :cheers on the Opening Night start.

Some of this surprised me........  I had heard Young was making a push to start in Bham, but didn't really think it would happen.  I am excited about getting to see him play.  I pretty much knew Lopez was headed for AAA, especially when Valdez was lost. 

One thing that surprised me is that Malone will be heading north.  I had been told he would rehab in extended ST until he was ready to start.  Heard that as recently as the beginning of ST. 

Phillips and Villacis both making the AAA rotation did surprise me some also.  I had hopes for Bull making the Charlotte bullpen, but when you have five deserving lefties, something has to give.  In all honesty, I had kind of forgotten about Dave Sanders. 

The AA bullpen should be pretty strong.  I didn't know the Sox has signed Willie Glen, but I think he will help.  He is a smallish guy who has a pretty good arm.  He played college ball at Evansville, so I have been somewhat familiar with him.

Ace has got be sick of Bham, but its a chance to play ball. 

Looking at AAA, six outfielders seems pretty odd.  You listed 27 players on the AAA roster so someone will have to move somewhere, whether it is in a trade or the DL.  As listed, there are 12 pitchers, six infielder, six outfielders and three catchers.  Something has to give there.

I'm surprised Becker got sent to Charlotte, but then again I was surprised to see that he had re-signed anyway.  I hope Spidale gets the chance to play everyday, but I don't see it happening.  Bull, any chance Spidale's arm had gotten any better????

Where did Felix Martinez come from?  I have heard of Coquillete, but don't know anything about him.

That's all, off the top of my head.  Thanks again, Bull.  PM me if you want to buy me a beer sometime! :)

I saw about 4-5 minor league games a few weeks ago. A few observations.....

Heath Phillips really looked good. I saw him pitch twice and he was blowing people away.

Spidale looked tremendous in the field and at the plate. He played center and leadoff during the AAA games and looked smooth out there making some nice grabs. He was really powdering the ball all over. His arm motion looks completely different. It looks normal to me. I saw him throw a runner out at second and one at third.

Some kid named Tartaglia can run. He played in a AA game and can fly. Dont know much else about him.

It seemed like everytime i saw Chris Young hit it was either a homer, flyout to the wall, or K.

Ulacia is in extended for a month, along with Person and Yofu. MArtel is headed to Winston. Giambi and Spidale are beginning the year on the DL as well in Charlotte. I also noticed today that the 5 starters in Winston are Rodriguez, Haigwood, Whisler, Bakker and Flores. JEnks will begin the year as the closer in Bham and no he's not injured. Some other names of notice in Winston are Hinton, Valido, Amador, Molina, Lee, Brice, Nanita, Wassserman, Haeger, O. Lopez, Dizard, and Fernie Hernandez. Thats all I can remeber, sorry.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
I'll be keeping a close eye on this years team at Birmy.

Lots of interesting names -- Bull, Honel, Tracey, Reynoso, Jenks, Rogo, Gonzalez, Fields, Owens, Sweeney, Young -- all guys that I'll be looking out for.

I get a front row seat :D

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Rex, what do you think about Munoz back in the bullpen?  I know that a lot of people feel that's where he's better suited, but do you think he'll be able to rebound from his poor numbers last season?

I think the bullpen is where he belongs. I can't recall his numbers last year. As far as I could tell, he had recovered just fine last year in Charlotte. Don't be fooled by the one start in Chicago.