Baseball Suspends Second Steroid User

bjm676

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3532262

Piedra gets 10-day suspension

NEW YORK (AP) - Colorado Rockies outfielder Jorge Piedra was suspended 10 days Monday for violating baseball's new policy on performance-enhancing drugs, becoming the second player to be publicly identified under the major leagues' tougher rules.

The suspension begins with the Rockies game at Arizona on Monday night, the commissioner's office said.

Piedra was recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs of the Pacific Coast League on Wednesday and sent back down the next day.

"It's unfortunate," said commissioner Bud Selig, who was in Boston for the Red Sox-Yankees game. "I'm afraid this probably won't be the last one."

Tampa Bay outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended for 10 days last Monday. He said he tested positive from a supplement he bought over the counter before Jan. 15, when it was made a controlled substance.

Selig wouldn't say whether he believed Sanchez. "I want to be kind," Selig said. "He did not fight his suspension, and I'll rest my case on that."

Under the new policy that took effect last month, steroids and other performance-enchancing substances are the only drugs to draw a 10-day suspension. Baseball officials and the players' union agreed they would not disclose the exact substance for which a player tests positive.

The Rockies issued a statement Monday calling the situation "unfortunate."

"As an organization we have, and will continue to support Major League Baseball and its drug testing policies," team president Keli McGregor said.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
For those tieing the Cubs to steroids...Piedra was a former Cubs farm hand :)

I Remember seeing a post somewhere on this board with people talking about all the Cubs farmhands that had been suspended the first go round.

They had 7, iirc. Plus, the guy from the Sox was a former Cub farm hand and ... s*** ... I can't remember his name.... Ranger's catcher that played for the Sox and the Cubs. This guy makes 10 current or former Cubs.