buehrle vs wood career stats

smalls2598

Not sure where the thread is but I can provide you with some stats if you wish. These are all as of the end of last season.

Wins-Loss Record:

Buehrle- 69-45

Wood- 67-50

(Wood also broke into the league 2 seasons before Buehrle)

Complete Games:

Buehrle- 15

Wood- 11

Shutouts:

Buehrle- 5

Wood- 5

Career ERA:

Buehrle- 3.76

Wood- 3.63

Career ERA+

Buehrle- 125

Wood- 117

This is just a short list of stats. If you would like to compare more yourself I have the links for you.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/buehrma01.shtml - Buehrle

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/woodke02.shtml - Wood

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
On average, how may runs do their teams score while they're on the hill?

That does have a little something to do with the amount of wins each has.

Also note that Buehrle has never been on a team that finished below .500, while Wood has pitched on 2 teams that have not won 70 games.

Wood has also been on teams that have won 88, 88, 89, and 90 games, while Buehrle has never been on a team that has won more then 86(unless you count 2000, and I don't even though he did pitch for the team...he started only 3 games the entire year for the Sox)

So that kind of evens out.

Buehrle has been the better pitcher over his career, and is making way less money. I think that is the key behind this.

My favorite stat is the career K/BB's of them...

Wood - 2.36 K/BB

Buehrle - 2.42 K/BB

Given, Buehrle is more of a control pitcher, so he should not walk as many...I just think it is a funny number...the point of a good power pitcher is to use the pitches effeciently when striking people out. Wood has not exactly done that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
That does have a little something to do with the amount of wins each has.

Also note that Buehrle has never been on a team that finished below .500, while Wood has pitched on 2 teams that have not won 70 games.

Wood has also been on teams that have won 88, 88, 89, and 90 games, while Buehrle has never been on a team that has won more then 86(unless you count 2000, and I don't even though he did pitch for the team...he started only 3 games the entire year for the Sox)

So that kind of evens out.

Buehrle has been the better pitcher over his career, and is making way less money.  I think that is the key behind this. 

My favorite stat is the career K/BB's of them...

Wood - 2.36 K/BB

Buehrle - 2.42 K/BB

Given, Buehrle is more of a control pitcher, so he should not walk as many...I just think it is a funny number...the point of a good power pitcher is to use the pitches effeciently when striking people out.  Wood has not exactly done that.

I was thinking of mentioning that too Wite. The K/BB stat. I looked up some of Wood's walk numbers over a full season and they are pretty ridiculous. That along with his wild pitches and league leading hit batsmen.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I bet Wood has had a lot lees run support, so he has less wins but a lower ERA. To me, ERA is the thing I look at. It's neck and neck, in the long run, Mark will prove to be better, he will outlast Wood.

Mark also pitches in the A.L. where ERA always tends to be higher.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Here's to hoping Buehrle gets to 100 wins within the next two years...  :cheers  :drink

I think that is well within the realm of possibility. He averages like 16 wins a year and he needs 30 between this season and next. It is certainly doable.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Don't forget about the walks and HBP's.

So what? He obviously still strikes out a s***load of batters, making his K/BB pretty similar to Buehrle's despite Buehrle's pinpoint control.

I don't know why you're making him sound so terrible. Is he as good as Buehrle? I wouldn't say so. Is he terrible? Hell no...

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I was thinking of mentioning that too Wite.  The K/BB stat.  I looked up some of Wood's walk numbers over a full  season and they are pretty ridiculous.  That along with his wild pitches and league leading hit batsmen.

He struck out 18!

A new league record!

He also walked 18.

Another new league record. He also hit the batter, the mascot, the announcer and the sports writer....

So what?  He obviously still strikes out a s***load of batters, making his K/BB pretty similar to Buehrle's despite Buehrle's pinpoint control.

I don't know why you're making him sound so terrible.  Is he as good as Buehrle?  I wouldn't say so.  Is he terrible?  Hell no...

Did I ever say that Wood was terrible? Please show me where I said that. The fact is that Wood is overrated.

By the way, do you try to dissect each and every one of my posts and try to prove me wrong? Keep trying. Grudges are for losers.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Did I ever say that Wood was terrible?  Please show me where I said that.  The fact is that Wood is overrated.

By the way, do you try to dissect each and every one of my posts and try to prove me wrong?  Keep trying.  Grudges are for losers.

Dissecting each of your posts? No. I saw you harping on it in the other thread in "Around the Horn", and I was gonna comment on it in one of the two, just happened to be here. b**** b**** b****... :rolly

Your comments just sounded like you think he's terrible. No, you never said he's terrible, but that just seemed to come off that way -- such as putting "stellar career numbers" in green. If I misunderstood you, say so, and I apologize.

Why exactly would I have the grudge again? For what reason? Remember, you were the one who PM'ed me, not vice versa. ;)

I'd say four, but that just an estimated guess...

It's less because of pinch-hitters.

But does it matter? If the DH in the A.L. doesn't affect pitchers, why do most baseball analysts say that there is around a 1 run difference in pitchers' ERAs when going from the N.L. to the A.L.?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
It's less because of pinch-hitters.

But does it matter?  If the DH in the A.L. doesn't affect pitchers, why do most baseball analysts say that there is around a 1 run difference in pitchers' ERAs when going from the N.L. to the A.L.?

It is not a full run different from the the n.l. to the a.l. It is more like half a run. Some pitchers more some pitchers less but it all equals out.