We have a new pope!

YASNY

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
No offense WT.. but eye's got a point here. Some take this extremely serious.. can't there just be some respect for them and leave the "who gives a s***" comments from, at least, this thread..?  :huh

Thank you.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
I am glad that some of the women posting at another site I post at don't post here.  There would be WWIII in this thread.  :ph34r:

And the member list would be smaller. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
That's an awful lot of "naughty words" in a religious themed thread.  :ph34r:

Rock on to the new guy! Hope he does some good, though I am not expecting him to be doing evil stuff. Kind of would go against the job, eh?

You would think. Do I need tyo repost the link to the bad popes to refresh memories that it hasn't always been the case? :rolly

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Ok, I'll bite.

Pope Benedict is known as one of the largest advocates for traditional Catholic dogmatic teaching.  This man is extremelly popular amongst the Cardinals and is admired for his intellegence, piety, kindness and so on.  Could he have been elected by the Cardinals to guide the church during a time of much strife and interpretation, or was it, he was elected Holy Father and head of the Catholic Church to serve as "a stop gap in the vatican until one of the younger guys gets some experience under him?"

I'm done playing now.  Don't even bother responding.

There was a backlash in the Catholic Church that J2P2's reign was too long as Pope and that the College of Cardinals wants more control over the Papacy -- hence picking a man who is 78. Its more of a control thing for the Cardinals plus it makes the church less "stagnant" in that with J2P2, if you didn't believe in some of his stances, they risked losing a lot of people from the church since he had such a long reign. And yes, Ratzinger is going to further the cause of delegitimizing birth control in the 3rd world as a viable option to curb the AIDS epidemic & yes he does see Buddhists as the next big threat to be taken on by the Catholic church -- but at least he's no Urban 2 or Innocent 8.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
You would think.  Do I need tyo repost the link to the bad popes to refresh memories that it hasn't always been the case? :rolly

Actually, yeah, I lost it. :ph34r: (I knew you would play into my trap!!!)

But those guys were also around in some pretty archaic times. I am not thinking that a modern day Pope is going to be sending his dissenters (sic?) off to be beheaded!

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Surely you're joking?  This isn't the NFL draft.  We aren't grooming quarterbacks here.  The man is the leader of the Catholic Church.  I simply can't believe the class some of you have shown in this thread.

To joke about sports is one thing, to joke about religion is quite another.

/remembers why I never spend time in this forum.  Shame on me.

There's been a lot of speculation about the kind of pope the college of Cardinals were going to elect and how that would reflect on the Church in general. For those of us who grew up in the faith and have felt alienated from it because of specific stands that a diocese or a Church in general has taken.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
There's been a lot of speculation about the kind of pope the college of Cardinals were going to elect and how that would reflect on the Church in general. For those of us who grew up in the faith and have felt alienated from it because of specific stands that a diocese or a Church in general has taken.

Serious question. Do you honestly believe we will ever see the Catholic Church move towards the middle on issues like sex and sexuality?

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
No offense WT.. but eye's got a point here. Some take this extremely serious.. can't there just be some respect for them and leave the "who gives a s***" comments from, at least, this thread..?  :huh

I know some people take this very seriously and that's ok. Some don't and that's ok too. But I wasn't trying to make this a war in here, we're all on the same team here. We're all with God. I take Martin Luther's perspective like I said earlier, and I hope people respect that like I respect the pope. We don't need to swear at each other. That's just plain pathetic.

and I agree with Kid Gleason there, he did use a few strong swear words in there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Serious question.  Do you honestly believe we will ever see the Catholic Church move towards the middle on issues like sex and sexuality?

Not in your kids, kids, kids, kids, kids lifetime...

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
I know some people take this very seriously and that's ok. Some don't and that's ok too. But I wasn't trying to make this a war in here, we're all on the same team here. We're all with God. I take Martin Luther's perspective like I said earlier, and I hope people respect that like I respect the pope. We don't need to swear at each other. That's just plain pathetic.

and I agree with Kid Gleason there, he did use a few strong swear words in there.

As long as he left JC out of it.. I think God will forgive him. ;)

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)

Sorry for the strong words. It just really get on my nerves when people feel the need to destroy and bring down anything that they don't believe in. (Not saying you). This whole thread reminds me of the old days. I think FlaJim said something about cw. Well, it seems like he's here to me. This is so much like the Reagan thread it's scary.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Sorry for the strong words. It just really get on my nerves when people feel the need to destroy and bring down anything that they don't believe in. (Not saying you). This whole thread reminds me of the old days. I think FlaJim said something about cw. Well, it seems like he's here to me. This is so much like the Reagan thread it's scary.

I didn't mean to offend you and I should've use green on my post. I can see where you would get mad.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
I thought this thread was for Pope Donn Pall replacement.

You beat me too it, LOL. The way Cotts is botching every chance he gets, we might need Pope Donn Pall back.

On subject though, I'm not Catholic (I'm Methodist) but I'm always interested in history, and religous history, and in those senses, the last couple weeks have been very interesting and moving to watch unfold.

I don't know much specifically about Cardinal Ratzinger, but I heard he's was John Paul II's closest advisor, and IMHO that can't be anything but a very good sign. The sermon Cardinal Ratzinger delivered during the funeral was both artful and awesome no matter what one's specific faith. Hopefully those two signs point to a leader who, like John Paul, will be a brilliant spiritual example for Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I was somewhat hoping that Cardinal Arinze (sp?) from Nigeria would be the choice, because Africa needs a strong, moral, influential leader desperately right now. But regardless, God bless Benedict XVI.

Darn, I was hoping for a Hispanic pope...

What a momentous occasion! :)

Just some general comments...

I don't think you'll get kicked out of a Mass because you use a condom. It is clearly more of a social and cultural issue than religious. If you continue to engage in harmful activities that put your life in danger because it's the cultural norm, there's no need to blame the Church...

And it would be nice if posters were respectful of the topic at hand, but the anonimity of the internet is always going to attract assholes to make ridiculously dumb comments...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
I don't think you'll get kicked out of a Mass because you use a condom.  It is clearly more of a social and cultural issue than religious.  If you continue to engage in harmful activities that put your life in danger because it's the cultural norm, there's no need to blame the Church...

FWIW, the priest that married my wife and I knew that we were co-habitating prior to our wedding (the obvious implication being pre-marital sex) and had absolutely no problem with it.