I love my vagina

MinnesotaSoxFan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
COme on Apu, you aren't that far removed from HS... a bunch of teenagers running around with the word "Vagina" on their shirts isn't disruptive?  These are the people fart jokes are made for.  These are the same kids that snicker everytime an anatomically correct term for any reproductive organ is used.  It IS disruptive, I don't think that is even an issue.

Fart Jokes are great! :lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always had dress codes down here... you couldnt wear a shirt like that, or anything with vulgur language or alcohal on it.. Hell in JR high you had to tuck in your shirt at all time, I hated it..

Never saw anyone with stupid shirts like that though

IF you think about it, everybody is offended by SOMETHING. So, maybe THX 1138 isn't too far off. We will all wear the same things.

Oh, and don't forget about the Naked Co-ed "Whatever" shirts and hats.

Leave it up to the parents, not to the school.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Or just disrupt class and make sure no one learns anything...

SS, I see your point, I'm just being a smartass. You have to admit though, there is some irony there. Take off the LOVE button, it's disrupting my history lesson on war and killing. Sometimes I don't think we give kids enough credit.

just got this in the mail yesterday, but here is an article about it...

Principal writing home about button stance

Nancy Wondrasch is prepared for a storm of publicity if Winona Senior High School students go ahead with plans to wear T-shirts to school bearing messages about vaginas and violence toward women.

The WSHS principal said she has received supportive and antagonistic e-mails and phone calls from people around the world for not allowing senior Carrie Rethlefsen to wear her "I (heart) my vagina" button in school.

Wondrasch said the American Civil Liberties Union has asked her to explain her reasoning. On Tuesday, Wondrasch said she and other high school staff are drawing up a letter to parents to explain the decision.

The mailing also will address what will happen to students if they wear "I (heart) my vagina" or "I support your vagina" shirts to school. Rethlefsen has ordered about 100 of the shirts for her peers, but as of Tuesday, hadn't set a date for the T-shirt excursion. She plans to inform the school before it happens.

Wondrasch said students are welcome to rally in front of the school wearing their shirts in a show of "free speech." She also has invited Rethlefsen to start a women's issues group, bring a speaker to school or set up a table with women's literature.

Rethlefsen and others say the button is meant to express pride in female sexuality and spark discussion about violence toward women.

However, if students wear the shirts or the buttons to school, they will be asked to replace or turn the shirts inside out or take the buttons off, the principal said.

If students refuse, they could be suspended for the equivalent of one school day, Wondrasch said. 

School board member Vicki Englich said neither she nor the school board is taking a position on the button issue because the superintendent has directed the principal to handle the situation.

Fellow board member Kelly Peter Herold said he also is leaving it up to the principal to decide whether the button is appropriate school attire.

"Democracy is messy," he said.

However, Herold said he is proud of the students who've worn the buttons.

"I'm highly offended that women continue to be abused," he said. "I'm not offended that young women are trying to find their political voice."

Wondrasch said she and other staff are reviewing precedent legal cases to make sure they're on the right footing. She said she's learned that just because the button can be viewed as offensive isn't reason enough to ban it.

The school will be on stronger legal footing if it argues the button is disruptive to the educational process, she said, which could be the result of it being offensive.

A separate issue is the possibility staff or students could view the button as sexual harassment, she said. If that were the case, the parties could file a complaint with the school.

Wondrasch is basing some of her reasoning on the Chambers v. Babbitt court case. It involves a Woodbury High School principal who banned a student, Elliot Chambers, from wearing a "Straight Pride" sweatshirt to school.

Minnesota District Court judge Donovan W. Frank ruled in Chambers' favor. Frank wrote that since Principal Dana Babbit's decision was based on the tendency of the shirt's message to offend others, the action was unconstitutional.

The judge wrote that if the principal's action had been based on a belief that "substantial disruption of or material interference with school activities" would ensue from a message pertaining to issues of sexuality, "then the action would have been constitutional."

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
SS, I see your point, I'm just being a smartass. You have to admit though, there is some irony there. Take off the LOVE button, it's disrupting my history lesson on war and killing.  Sometimes I don't think we give kids enough credit.

Meh, seeing teenagers today at a pretty close level, sometimes I wonder if we give them too much credit. :bang

We all know if it is something that could attract attention, good or bad, teens are drawn to it like moths. If it involves sex and offends teachers/parents all the better. If teens could act like adults, this wouldn't be necesary, but seeing as teachers hear giggles everytime the word "penis" or "vagina" is mentioned in sex ed class, I know these things would cause problems.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Meh, seeing teenagers today at a pretty close level, sometimes I wonder if we give them too much credit. :bang

We all know if it is something that could attract attention, good or bad, teens are drawn to it like moths.  If it involves sex and offends teachers/parents all the better.  If teens could act like adults, this wouldn't be necesary, but seeing as teachers hear giggles everytime the word "penis" or "vagina" is mentioned in sex ed class, I know these things would cause problems.

..but maybe if parents didn't let it bother them, the thrill would be gone for the kids.

She also has invited Rethlefsen to start a women's issues group, bring a speaker to school or set up a table with women's literature.

I bet this don't happen. It wouldn't be fun to join in and would hardly warrant any outside attetntion.

If the students wore pins and Tshirts that said "Abortion is Murder" how many of you would be standing up for their free speach rights?

Some things just don't belong in school...

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
I bet this don't happen.  It wouldn't be fun to join in and would hardly warrant any outside attetntion.

If the students wore pins and Tshirts that said "Abortion is Murder" how many of you would be standing up for their free speach rights?

Some things just don't belong in school...

apples and oranges.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
One is simply a personal statement about herself.    Personally, I wouldn't have a prob with the abortion t-shirt and I'm pro-choice.

Abortion is Murder is simply a personal statement on how you feel...they are one in the same to me...

Is it officially legal to wear an 'Abortion is Murder' pin to school?? yeah it probably is...Is it appropriate...No. Is it legal to wear 'I (heart) my vagina' or I support your vagina' t-shirt yeah it probably is...is it appropriate....No.

Common sense is all I ask...