Guillen learns from his Botch mistake

sox-r-us

I, for one, am happy that Ozzie is going to go with matchups etc to decide who closes a given game.

========================

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Closer du jour?

It appears that, for now, Dustin Hermanson will get first call over Shingo Takatsu to be the closer, having saved all three of his chances, including Saturday's.

"That's not fair to Shingo to say that," Guillen said. "His last outing, he was not throwing the way we thought he should be throwing and that's why we made the move [saturday]. We'll give Shingo the opportunity to come back, and when he throws the ball better, he will be there."

Guillen said Hermanson, Takatsu and lefty Damaso Marte all would close games, depending on the situation.

"I'm going with whoever is going to help us win games," he said. "I made a big mistake last year to stay with my closer (Billy Koch). This year I just need to win games. That's my job."

I do not know about that. I hope Ozzie looks at actual stats while picking the closer for a given game (eg look at Shingo's #s against LH hitters etc). If he goes by instinct, and we blow a few saves, I think the criticism is warranted.

I personally am sick of the closer hype in baseball. One inning is one inning, it should not matter where in the game it is pitched. If my team was up 1 and I had the heart of the order coming up in the 8th, I would be pitching my closer in the 8th rather than the 9th. But that is me.

One thing that did bother me from that article though was Ozzie saying that this year he is trying to win, implying he was not trying to win last year when he kept sticking with Botch.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
I do not know about that. I hope Ozzie looks at actual stats while picking the closer for a given game (eg look at Shingo's #s against LH hitters etc). If he goes by instinct, and we blow a few saves, I think the criticism is warranted.

He has said he doesn't look at stats. Now i don't know how true this is but i know he has said it.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 2, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
On a different note, at Chicagosports.com, they have a poll on who is the best pitcher right now in Chi town. Vote for Jon or Buerhle fellas. The only Cub on the options is Zambrano.

The best pitcher RIGHT NOW is Garland.

The best pitcher on the Sox is Buerhle.

The best pitcher in Chicago.........(gulp).............could be Zambrano.

If he was able to control his f***tardedness, Zambrano WOULD be the best pitcher in Chicago, no doubt.

I hate watching him pitch, it's frustrating as hell to see that kind of talent battle with that kind of immaturity. But he's very talented and no amount of Kool-Aid negates that.

Closers are over-rated unless you have a Gagne-type or Wagner-type pitcher in the BP which the Sox do not. I really believe the colder, thinner air of a Chicago spring really effects Shingo's pitches and he should be used sparingly (i.e., not in tied or 1-run lead games late) until the weather warms up AND DEFINITELY not in the closers role until then.

I'm perfectly fine with closer by committee. Glad Ozzie seems to be a manager that learns (and learns quickly) from his past mistakes.