Marlins, anyone?

whitesoxin'

The Marlins are my second favorite team, and I was wondering if anyone else followed them. I love the approach the team has and thanks to Oz, we finally have it this year. Pierre and Castillo at the top of that order is deadly and then they have Delgado, Cabrera, Lowell, and Lo Duca and that is one hell of a lineup.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 21, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
The Marlins are my second favorite team, and I was wondering if anyone else followed them. I love the approach the team has and thanks to Oz, we finally have it this year. Pierre and Castillo at the top of that order is deadly and then they have Delgado, Cabrera, Lowell, and Lo Duca and that is one hell of a lineup.

I'm with you there. They have been really similar to us this year in that they have had great pitching, and an underachieving offense. Difference is we have been a lot better in the close ones, and the records reflect that.

The NL East is pretty balanced so far this year, but IMO I expect the Marlins to end up winning that division and finally ending the Braves reign.

This year, I've grown to liking a lot of teams in the NL.

Marlins -- I love the way Willis, Beckett, and Burnett go about there business. I've heard Burnett is a jag in the clubhouse (true or not?), but he's got nasty stuff. Ditto Beckett, and Willis is one of the funnest players in the game.

Cardinals -- I can watch that lineup all day. Pujols-Rolen-Walker-Edmonds is the best four hitters in a row in all of baseball. Plus, they were the first team that I ever loved, yes, before the beloved Pale Hose -- so, I've kind of liked them since I remember...

Brewers -- I dunno, I've just grown to liking this team over the past year or so, and the Carlos Lee deal sealed it. Overbay, Sheets, Lee, Jenkins, Hardy, and in some years, Weeks and Fielder. Plus, if I get into Marquette, I'm going to go see them play a lot.

And, finally, the Dodgers -- Mostly because I'm a DePodesta fan, but JD Drew is probably my favorite OF'er in all of baseball, and I like Valentin/Penny/Lowe/Brazoban.

on the topic of liking teams:

Rockies: young team, barmes is amazing and they are a good hitting team and if the pitching works they will be amazing

mariners: like them since they had griffey, now they need is pitching and their hitting to click and they will be special (also going to a game baltimore at seattle)

reds: ryan freel is incredible and they have a dangerous lineup, if only they had pitching

Pierre has a .263 AVG right now. That’s the lowest batting average I’ve seen him have. I’m not saying he’ll keep it that way the rest of the season, but I much rather have PODS right now. :D

QUOTE(Yoda @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Pierre has a .263 AVG right now. That’s the lowest batting average I’ve seen him have. I’m not saying he’ll keep it that way the rest of the season, but I much rather have PODS right now.  :D

id rather have pods also

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 21, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
This year, I've grown to liking a lot of teams in the NL.

Marlins -- I love the way Willis, Beckett, and Burnett go about there business.  I've heard Burnett is a jag in the clubhouse (true or not?), but he's got nasty stuff.  Ditto Beckett, and Willis is one of the funnest players in the game.

Cardinals -- I can watch that lineup all day.  Pujols-Rolen-Walker-Edmonds is the best four hitters in a row in all of baseball.  Plus, they were the first team that I ever loved, yes, before the beloved Pale Hose -- so, I've kind of liked them since I remember...

Brewers -- I dunno, I've just grown to liking this team over the past year or so, and the Carlos Lee deal sealed it.  Overbay, Sheets, Lee, Jenkins, Hardy, and in some years, Weeks and Fielder.  Plus, if I get into Marquette, I'm going to go see them play a lot.

And, finally, the Dodgers -- Mostly because I'm a DePodesta fan, but JD Drew is probably my favorite OF'er in all of baseball, and I like Valentin/Penny/Lowe/Brazoban.

I'm with you on everything except the Dodgers. The Brewers always do a great job of beating up on the Cubs and I've always liked the Cardinals. It would have been awesome if the Cards could have beat the BoSox last year in the WS. Also, I always liked Larry Walker a lot and it is great to see him get to be on a winning team finally. The Cardinals have the best fans in the majors too, I love seeing their spirit. Hopefully we can have that much enthusiasm on the south side one day.

The Marlins have a special place in my heart due to the 2003 playoffs.

I live by St. Jane’s and they had the Our Lady of the Millennium statue up during the playoffs that year. This is a 40 foot tall Madonna that comes on the back of semi-trailer. They raise it up hydraulically in the church parking lot. People come from miles around to say the rosary and other prayers.

At my house we called her Our Lady of the Marlins and fervently prayed for her help in defeating the cubs. The power of prayer is real, the cub lost in the most ignoble manner imaginable. At Thanksgiving that year grace ended ‘God bless the cook, those who have left us (names…), and God Bless the Florida Marlins.

Like everyone else I had noticed the Marlins in the second half that year but I didn’t really watch them until the playoffs against the Giants. I remember saying “I love these guys, they play just like the old White Sox.” They won by riding a couple hot pitchers, a couple hot bats and not doing anything stupid. I went to US Cellular to see them during the hurricane game, when they beat Gary Majewski by just doing their jobs as the Expo’s self-destructed. They did nothing spectacular, no heroism, just played 9 solid innings of baseball and waited them out.

Now people are saying the White Sox are playing like the Marlins but I think both the White Sox and the Marlins are really playing like the old White Sox I grew up watching.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 21, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)

I do as they are also my second favorite team. The huge number of young players on their team gives them a chance to be very good for a very long time, provided they spend the money to keep them (Beckett, Cabrera, Pierre, Willis, etc...)

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
The Marlins have a special place in my heart due to the 2003 playoffs. 

I live by St. Jane’s and they had the Our Lady of the Millennium statue up during the playoffs that year.  This is a 40 foot tall Madonna that comes on the back of semi-trailer.  They raise it up hydraulically in the church parking lot.  People come from miles around to say the rosary and other prayers. 

At my house we called her Our Lady of the Marlins and fervently prayed for her help in defeating the cubs.  The power of prayer is real, the cub lost in the most ignoble manner imaginable.  At Thanksgiving that year grace ended ‘God bless the cook, those who have left us (names…), and God Bless the Florida Marlins.

Like everyone else I had noticed the Marlins in the second half that year but I didn’t really watch them until the playoffs against the Giants. I remember saying “I love these guys, they play just like the old White Sox.”  They won by riding a couple hot pitchers, a couple hot bats and not doing anything stupid.  I went to US Cellular to see them during the hurricane game, when they beat Gary Majewski by just doing their jobs as the Expo’s self-destructed. They did nothing spectacular, no heroism, just played 9 solid innings of baseball and waited them out.

Now people are saying the White Sox are playing like the Marlins but I think both the White Sox and the Marlins are really playing like the old White Sox I grew up watching.

Then lets start saying some rosaries for the Sox :bang

For all the Marlin fans, what is the deal with Lowell this year? What's his contract situation? Would the Marlins deal him and do you think he is a good buy low player? Would you like to see the sox trade for him? do you think he would turn it around here? how is he defensively.