Your 2005 Kansas City Royals

AirScott

here's maybe the biggest compliment they'll receive all year: "They play hard. They're not very good, but they play hard." - John Kruk

something needs to be done with these owners that refuse to spend money. if you don't have the desire for your team to win, why buy a baseball team? at least give them a chance, throw the fans a bone every few years. in the case of the Royals, "rebuilding" is just some bulls*** that they hide behind, because a good place to start rebuilding (or even prevent having to) is to keep a 28 year old 5-tool centerfielder. sorry, but I just need to vent, because the way I see it, is to get fans in the seats you need to make some effort to put a quality team on the field, or else fans just won't show up. but then I'm disproven by the good people of Miami, whose Florida Marlins can't crack the top 20 in MLB attendance, even the year after a World Series victory.

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
but then I'm disproven by the good people of Miami, whose Florida Marlins can't crack the top 20 in MLB attendance, even the year after a World Series victory.

Miami is a bad sport town in regards to attendence. The Dolphins even in their Hay Day always struggle to get people to come to the stadium. And that's saying a lot conisdering the Dolphins have on of the best fan base in the NFL

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
I feel your pain, thats why I'm in favor of a baseball floor at least. There doesn't have to be a baseball cap, but it would be nice, just a baseball floor at the minimum. Maybe something like 40 million.

I'm a White Sox fan, and at the moment I'm glad the Royals are in our division, and you're right, there should definitely be a floor. why should Steinbrenner pay more in luxury tax than the Royals and Devil Rays pay their entire roster?

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
royals seem to always lack the talent to make it to the playoffs, they need george brett back

In this age of baseball, he wouldn't be able to get them to the playoffs consistently. They can't re-sign any of their players, unless the player want to play for a losing team, and make less money.

QUOTE(Be Good @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
In this age of baseball, he wouldn't be able to get them to the playoffs consistently.

I don't understand. Explain, please. I think it would be easier for him to help his team get in. When he played, there were only 2 divisions in each league and no wild cards.

If I was the Royals, I would trade the farm for a minor league system and just hold on and build from single A on. Get all draft picks, draft only pitchers and speed players. Its harder to keep power hitters under contract. Develop the staff from within, and win.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
I feel your pain, thats why I'm in favor of a baseball floor at least. There doesn't have to be a baseball cap, but it would be nice, just a baseball floor at the minimum. Maybe something like 40 million.

Umm, Maybe if there was a cap some of these small market teams would have a chance.....f*** the floor I would rather restrict the big f***ers from signing everyone and everything

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 22, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
here's maybe the biggest compliment they'll receive all year:  "They play hard.  They're not very good, but they play hard." - John Kruk

something needs to be done with these owners that refuse to spend money.  if you don't have the desire for your team to win, why buy a baseball team?  at least give them a chance, throw the fans a bone every few years.  in the case of the Royals, "rebuilding" is just some bulls*** that they hide behind, because a good place to start rebuilding (or even prevent having to) is to keep a 28 year old 5-tool centerfielder.  sorry, but I just need to vent, because the way I see it, is to get fans in the seats you need to make some effort to put a quality team on the field, or else fans just won't show up.  but then I'm disproven by the good people of Miami, whose Florida Marlins can't crack the top 20 in MLB attendance, even the year after a World Series victory.

Resigning 1 player for 7 years and $17 mill or so a season, especially considering he is a career .353/.489/.842 hitter is not only financial suicide for $60 mill payroll team(let alone a $35-45 mill team such as the Royals), but it kills what you can do with a team too. I know Glass should spend more on the team, but he doesn't, because you have to realize that the last time he opened the pocket book a little was last year...a year they lost 104 games.

You also have to spend the money wisely. The Mets payroll is $100+ mill, the White Sox in the mid $60's, and the Marlins below $60 mill. The Mets are of course in 4th place in the NL East, the Marlins are in first place in the NL East, and the Sox are the best team in the majors.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
I don't understand. Explain, please. I think it would be easier for him to help his team get in. When he played, there were only 2 divisions in each league and no wild cards.

Who else are the Royals going to get. Brett would take up half there pay roll. This age of baseball it is nearly impossible for teams like the Royals to contend.

QUOTE(Be Good @ May 26, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Who else are the Royals going to get. Brett would take up half there pay roll.  This age of baseball it is nearly impossible for teams like the Royals to contend.

Please explain to me then how the A's won 90+ games from 00-04, how the Twins have won the won 90+ games from 02-04, how the Marlins won the World Series in 03

Edited by witesoxfan

Manuel may be in the running to try and right the ship. Good luck, my friend.

Former White Sox manager Jerry Manuel is one of four finalists for the Kansas City Royals vacancy, sources said, and will interview for the job Friday.

Manuel, currently the first-base coach for the New York Mets, compiled a 500-471 record managing the Sox from 1998 to 2003, earning American League Manager of the Year honors in 2000 when he led the Sox to the Central Division title.

Royals general manager Allard Baird said he hopes to make an announcement sometime next week. Two of the other candidates for the job, according to the Kansas City Star, are former big-league managers Art Howe and Terry Collins.

Manuel's strength is building a young, inexperienced team, and he would have a gargantuan task if he gets the Royals job. They entered Wednesday's game with a 13-32 record. The Mets gave Manuel permission to seek the job, which became open when Tony Pena abruptly quit earlier this month.

If Manuel were to be named Royals manager, he would return to U.S. Cellular Field on June 21 to go head-to-head against the man who replaced him, Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 26, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Please explain to me then how the A's won 90+ games from 00-04, how the Twins have won the won 90+ games from 02-04, how the Marlins won the World Series in 03

The Twins are in a division where all five teams are ranked 15 in below in payroll, expect our Sox are 13. (at least in '04). Some one from the AL central has to win. So the Twins winning the divions (ranked 2nd in payroll in the div.) is no surpise. And they only advanced on to the CS once If I can remember.

I have no argument though with the A's and Marlins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1778397 ('04 payroll, I couldn't find this years)

QUOTE(Be Good @ May 26, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
The Twins are in a division where all five teams are ranked 15 in below in payroll, expect our Sox are 13. (at least in '04).  Some one from the AL central has to win.  So the Twins winning the divions (ranked 2nd in payroll in the div.) is no surpise.  And they only advanced on to the CS once If I can remember.

I have no argument though with the A's and Marlins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1778397 ('04 payroll, I couldn't find this years)

The Royals are in the same division as the Twins

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)

their payrolls were at least $50 million, and the royals are at 36 million, it is not possible to win with a payroll of less than 50 million now, because when your payroll is that low you cant afford to sign someone for 5-7 million our else your f***ed.

also the yankees are the ones that baseball needs to go after, baseball needs to do revene sharing and salary cap or else you will only see red sox and yankees in the alcs for the next 100 years

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 26, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Resigning 1 player for 7 years and $17 mill or so a season, especially considering he is a career .353/.489/.842 hitter is not only financial suicide for $60 mill payroll team(let alone a $35-45 mill team such as the Royals), but it kills what you can do with a team too.  I know Glass should spend more on the team, but he doesn't, because you have to realize that the last time he opened the pocket book a little was last year...a year they lost 104 games.

I'm about two weeks late to looking at the replies after I thought my thread had died, but who exactly did they sign? Juan Gonzalez and Benito Santiago? not exactly prime free agents, and nobody from the 2003 team showed up for 04.