What exactly is Timo Perez' purpose on this team?

redandwhite

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:08 AM)
Eric Valent is a much better hitter than Timo has ever been.  He's a very good hitter against righty pitching.  The other guys you listed are bad......but is Timo really better than them?  I bet most of them can actually play defense.

When has timo ever proven to be a bad defender... not to mention the cannon of an arm he has... just because people dont like the way he catches the ball doesnt make him bad in the field.....

Its ok to rip on Timo because he sucks but ripping on his defense is just kind of stupid.... :bang

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:11 AM)
When has timo ever proven to be a bad defender... not to mention the cannon of an arm he has... just because people dont like the way he catches the ball doesnt make him bad in the field.....

He has absolutely no range at all! I've never seen a player have more balls drop right at his feet than Timo.

This might sound stupid but I'd Take Joe Borc-K-ard over Perez. At least with Borch pinch hitting he's still going to give you that one hundred something average but a chance to park a ball. I've never seen someone get as much mileage off of 2-3 clutch hits as Timo did last year. He got a million bucks and a roster spot despite sucking. Why is he still here? This might be an Andrew Gannon situation.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)

Its ok to rip on Timo because he sucks but ripping on his defense is just kind of stupid.... :bang

If crede keeps his eye on the ball 3 days ago that Timo throw to 3rd makes one of the top plays of the week.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:12 AM)
This might sound stupid but I'd Take Joe Borc-K-ard over Perez. At least with Borch pinch hitting he's still going to give you that one hundred something average but a chance to park a ball. I've never seen someone get as much mileage off of 2-3 clutch hits as Timo did last year. He got a million bucks and a roster spot despite sucking. Why is he still here? This might be an Andrew Gannon situation.

I agree with you. Borchard also gives you the switch hitting ability, which might make the opposing team bring in a new reliever, etc.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:13 AM)
Wilson Valdez, Jose Hernandez, Calvin Pickering, Roger Cedeno

You really think Timo is better than those guys? Remember, all these bench guys have a particular role. Timo has been absolutely brutal in his role this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
I agree with you.  Borchard also gives you the switch hitting ability, which might make the opposing team bring in a new reliever, etc.

It's a nice idea maybe in concept but there's no reason Joe B. should be in the Majors now or anywhere in the near future.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
You really think Timo is better than those guys?  Remember, all these bench guys have a particular role.  Timo has been absolutely brutal in his role this season.

Fans of their respective teams would no doubt take Timo over those guys. If you really look hard enough, almost every team has a Timo.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
I agree with you.  Borchard also gives you the switch hitting ability, which might make the opposing team bring in a new reliever, etc.

This guy couldn't even cut it in the Mexican leauges. What makes you think he belongs here in the majors?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
Greg Dobbs, Eric Valent, Eric Bruntlett, Bobby Higginson, Mark DeRosa....Timo Perez can be arguably better than all of those clowns.

126 at-bats for bruntlett in his career... he does not count.

81 career at-bats for dobbs he does not count.

I guess you could count valent but he only has had one year of over 42 at-bats.

Higginson is much worse than timo considering his contract.

Derosa is definitely not worse than timo. Derosa can play multiple positions while timo cannot play one.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:17 AM)
This guy couldn't even cut it in the Mexican leauges.  What makes you think he belongs here in the majors?

Because of how he finished the season last year, and the way he swung the bat in ST. Yes, Borchard sucks. But if it came down to who I'd rather have up down one with 2 outs.....I'd take Borchard over Timo.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:19 AM)
I think a few posters are misjudging parts of this thread as a Borch lovefest. It isn't. It's just pointing that a guy who struggles as much as Borchard is still more valuable than a dog like Timo.

Agreed, thanks for stating this.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:12 AM)
He has absolutely no range at all!  I've never seen a player have more balls drop right at his feet than Timo.

last year Timo Perez range factor in right field was 2.06 and he did that with no errors... to compare this year Jermaine Dye's range is 1.67 with .942 fielding percentage....

This year Jaque Jones has a 2.02 range factor and he is considered a good defensive OF....

Im not saying Timo is a gold glover but he is pretty much an average fielder and he has that really good arm which helps his case...so rip on him all you want but nothing really to say about his hitting

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:23 AM)
last year Timo Perez range factor in right field was 2.06 and he did that with no errors... to compare this year Jermaine Dye's range is 1.67 with .942 fielding percentage....

Thanks for backing up your argument with statistics. It's better than just saying because you like/dislike him, etc. However, I'm just judging Timo's awful range on what I actually see on the field. He plays SO deep for every hitter, and lets numerous balls fall in front of him that Rowand would easily have caught.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)

This year Jaque Jones has a 2.02 range factor and he is considered a good defensive OF....

Im not saying Timo is a gold glover but he is pretty much an average fielder and he has that really good arm which helps his case...so rip on him all you want but nothing really to say about his hitting

2.06 factor is piss poor. Dye's range factor is so bad it's not even funny. Jones career range factor is 2.40, at this point he is .38 point below that. I doubt it stays that way all year long.

The higher the range factor the better.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:29 AM)
2.06 factor is piss poor. Dye's range factor is so bad it's not even funny. Jones career range factor is 2.40, at this point he is .38 point below that. I doubt it stays that way all year long.

The higher the range factor the better.

Id say 2.06 is around average... and yeah Dye is piss poor and he was apposed to be good with the glove not to mention all the extra errors he has committed.

Remember 2.06 is being done while not playing everyday so that can affect a player too...