Update on Frank

Ozzie Montana

Even though we already knew this, I'm just gonna post this anyways.

per rotoworld

Frank Thomas - DH - CWS

Frank Thomas (ankle) is expected to return from the disabled list Monday.

Thomas has been recovering from a fractured ankle for 11 months and is currently rehabbing at Triple-A. “If he tells me the same thing he did two days ago, that he feels great, he’s cutting well on it, he’s going from first to third, that he feels like he can come back and help, then he’s the one coming back on Monday,” general manager Ken Williams said. May. 29 - 5:38 am et

Source: Arlington Heights Daily Herald

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Thomas due back Monday

Guillen will work slugger into mix as he sees fit

ARLINGTON -- The White Sox, who have struggled to score runs at times this year, will get an infusion of proven offense when they return home on Monday. Say hello to Frank Thomas.

Following a late-night conversation with general manager Ken Williams on Saturday, Thomas began making plans to greet the White Sox as they begin a homestand against the Angels. Williams let Thomas make the final determination on whether he's ready for Major League action, and Thomas gave himself the thumbs-up.

The White Sox have a roster spot open after right-hander Brandon McCarthy was sent down on Friday night. With Thomas in the lineup as a designated hitter, the hope is that it will take some pressure off other hitters and make Chicago a more productive offensive club overall.

"Frank's ready to play," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "It's like making a trade. If Frank's healthy, he can help this team and make our offense better."

Guillen said he plans to rotate his lineup upon Thomas' arrival. Thomas could be part of that rotation.

"I'm not promising Frank that he'll be playing every day," Guillen said. "We need the people here to play also. I'm going to make the best lineup I can to win the game."

Thomas hasn't played for the White Sox since July 6 last season. It has taken him nearly 11 months to get back after fracturing a bone in his left ankle and undergoing surgery.

Thomas joins a club which got off to a blistering start and stands atop the American League Central. Whereas the White Sox have at times in the past gone only as well as Thomas, he's now a complementary piece to an already solid team.

"We've been winning with different people," Guillen said. "We haven't had to wait on one player to get hot. Every day, it's somebody different. Hopefully, we'll continue to do that."

Friday move: Because of Saturday's rainout and an off-day on Thursday, the White Sox won't have to activate Orlando Hernandez until Friday. That's when he'll come off the disabled list to start against the Indians.

The White Sox will have to make a corresponding move at that time.

"Everybody is pushed back," Guillen said. "El Duque is fine. If we weren't sure about that, we wouldn't have sent Brandon McCarthy down."

Interleague planning: The timing of the Thomas return works well for the White Sox, considering their upcoming schedule.

After a six-game homestand against the Angels and Indians, Chicago will go on the road to face National League clubs Colorado and San Diego.

Thomas is expected to have a lot of designated hitter opportunities in his first week back. He'll then probably be used primarily as a pinch-hitter in the second week as the White Sox play in NL venues.

"[First baseman Paul] Konerko has to be in the lineup," Guillen said. "Frank will have to take extra hitting. He can come early and hit early, or we can play him if we need to."

"I'm not promising Frank that he'll be playing every day," Guillen said. "We need the people here to play also. I'm going to make the best lineup I can to win the game."

I hope you're joking Ozzie. You must be seeing the same corpseball that we are seeing. Frank should be the DH everyday. Dead and Everett can take turns playing RF poorly.

Edited by Jabroni

I hope you're joking Ozzie.  You must be seeing the same corpseball that we are seeing.  Frank should be the DH everyday.  Dead and Everett can take turns playing RF poorly.

Why does Guillen have such a hard on for Frank? Is it jealousy? I wish Ozzie would just shut the f*** up and pencil him in at the three spot. Hell, even Terry Bevington could figure that out.

Why does Guillen have such a hard on for Frank?  Is it jealousy?  I wish Ozzie would just shut the f*** up and pencil him in at the three spot. Hell, even Terry Bevington could figure that out.

Ozzie wants to make Frank and the other players know who's the boss. It's kind of lame though considering Frank is the greatest hitter in White Sox history and he's the only one who could possibly save this corpseball offense.

Guest JimH

I don't think Guillen has an issue with Frank at all. This guy will take a while to round into form and there will be certain days when his ankle is sore and a match up might not be favorable.

The other guys do have to play, they are all proven hitters even though their numbers have been down this year (speaking specifically of Dye and Everett). The weather is warming up, these guys will do better although we don't know how much better. The playing time will be shared, it's a good problem to have. Everyone will stay fresh.

I don't think Guillen has an issue with Frank at all.  This guy will take a while to round into form and there will be certain days when his ankle is sore and a match up might not be favorable.

The other guys do have to play, they are all proven hitters even though their numbers have been down this year (speaking specifically of Dye and Everett).  The weather is warming up, these guys will do better although we don't know how much better.  The playing time will be shared, it's a good problem to have.  Everyone will stay fresh.

Everett is NOT a proven hitter. He has only three 20 home run seasons. Frank had 19 at the all-star break last year.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Everett is NOT a proven hitter.  He has only three 20 home run seasons.  Frank had 19 at the all-star break last year.

So he's not a proven hitter because he doesn't drive the ball out of the park. If that's the case, Mark Grace is on line 1 and would like to talk with you.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
Mark Grace was a punching Judy hitter playing a power position.

And Everett was once a right fielder. Yup, no power hitters there either. :huh:

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
You just made my point for me by claiming that Everett plays a power position and can't hit for power.  Thank you.

:banghead

Then by your logic, Ichiro musn't be worth a damn. And Tony Gwynn all of these years was stealing money from the Padres because his season high was 18 HR.

What was I thinking?

:banghead

Then by your logic, Ichiro musn't be worth a damn.  And Tony Gwynn all of these years was stealing money from the Padres because his season high was 18 HR.

What was I thinking?

Grace was barely a .300 hitter...not .330 and up. Poor inference on your part.

Edited by I-HATE-CREDE