Gload Update

Mr. Showtime

Suntimes

Upcoming interleague play is presenting plenty of headaches for Guillen, and one includes how soon Ross Gload might return to action. The left-handed-hitting first baseman has been on a rehab assignment recovering from shoulder inflammation. He is hitting .345 in eight games at Class AAA Charlotte, but activating Gload as interleague play is about to begin might only further complicate Guillen's crowded first base/DH situation.

''I don't think he can play the outfield because of his arm,'' Guillen said. ''That's why it's a big headache.''

SouthTown

By the end of the weekend, the Sox are expected to make a decision on injured backup first baseman Ross Gload.

Gload (injured shoulder) has been on a rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte, where he was hitting .345 in eight games entering Friday.

Guillen used outfielder Timo Perez at first base Wednesday, with Paul Konerko getting a rest. Gload is the best defensive first baseman on the 40-man roster, but it's a matter of whether or not he's ready.

"Right now, people are trying to test (Gload's) arm to see how he can do," Guillen said.

Meantime, if something should happen to Konerko, Guillen said he'd have no problem going with Perez again.

"Well, give me a Derrek Lee," Guillen said, "give me a Rafael Palmeiro, give me someone else, because (Perez is) the only one I have."

Guest JimH

Frank is taking ground balls at 1B this weekend to see if he can do it. My sense is they'd like to extend Gload's rehab assignment but from what they've said about his arm, it won't be good enough for the OF the whole year.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Frank is taking ground balls at 1B this weekend to see if he can do it.  My sense is they'd like to extend Gload's rehab assignment but from what they've said about his arm, it won't be good enough for the OF the whole year.

I can't remember the first to say it, but I think the poster may have really been on to something when he/she said Timo was audtioning for an OF/1B slot the other day. Ozzie is so freaking obsessed on having guys that can play multiple positions, he may very well leave one of the best LH in the organization down in Charlotte simply because his arm won't allow him to make the occasional spot start in the OF. This just amazes me; someone really needs to come in and slap some sense into Ozzie.

BRING HIS ASS UP!

He's always been decent in the OF. I'm not saying he's going to win a Gold glove any time soon, but nothing much too worry about. Never had the best arm out there though.

He did have 1 really bad game playing the OF and that was vs. the Cubs, which is why his rep as a bad OFer has stayed with him so long.

Great defensive 1b man as well.

So what?... The OF depth chart is like this without gload and Timo....

LF

Pods

Ozuna

Everett

CF

Rowand

Pods

Willie

Ozuna -- I haven't seen him play there, but I bet he could do it.

Everett(god please no, but we did see Dye @ SS so you never know)

RF

Dye

Everett

Ozuna

That certainly looks like enough warm bodies to fill out the bench... (Konerko can always play LF again)

Edited by Gene Honda Civic