Don't fret when the Sox don't sweep

JUGGERNAUT

Generally I agree with Juggernauts initial post in this thread. If the Sox keep winning series the odds are substantially in their favor that they are going to win the division, and they way it's going, worst case scenario win the wild-card.

But, with many solid ideas there is room for exceptions, and the game tomorrow is one where Ozzie needs to try and win that game.

For starters, they have the day off on thursday, so no real need to rest the bull-pen, he should go balls out with match-ups and the like, including not pushing el duque to far

The Twins have Santana going tomorrow, while I know he isn't last years Santana he is still one hell of a pitcher, and I give the Twins a great shot to win tomorrow. Couple that with the Twins playing Thursday why the Sox are idle, the Sox could win this series with 2 out of 3, but still easily lose a game and half with a Twins win on Thursday. 2 and 1/2 looks a hell of alot worse than 3 and 1/2.

I know it's still early, and the difference in standings right now is is merely psychological, I would still like to see Ozzie pull back on his "get guys ABs and playing time" thought process, and play his normal line-up tomorrow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Ozuna IN

Widge IN

Timo IN

Everett IN?

I actually wouldn't mind having the first two in. We might actually get some production from the 3B spot and Widge has hit well all year. Timo and Everett would mean Ozzie is in "get everyone PT because we already won the series" mode.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:42 AM)
The Twins have Santana going tomorrow, while I know he isn't last years Santana he is still one hell of a pitcher, and I give the Twins a great shot to win tomorrow. 

Johan Santana:

0.94 WHIP (4th in baseball)

12.7 K/9 IP

1.3 BB/9 IP

That's pretty damn close to the Santana of last year, and you know that he's just gonna continue to improve on that WHIP and ERA from here on out.

Johan Santana:

0.94 WHIP (4th in baseball)

12.7 K/9 IP

1.3 BB/9 IP

That's pretty damn close to the Santana of last year, and you know that he's just gonna continue to improve on that WHIP and ERA from here on out.

He's a different pitcher than last year. He struggled a little in May but Hunter noticed he was tipping his pitches. Since then he's produced 3 dominating starts( 22IP/7R). The biggest difference is that he leads his team in IP. His 83.1IP in 12GS is comparable to Garcia's 82IP in as many starts for the CSox.

To highlight just how magical this season is for the CSox look at how his #'s compare to Freddy Garcia this year:

Garcia Away 2.28ERA 0.82WHIP .188BAA

Garcia Grass 3.33ERA 1.07WHIP .229BAA

Santa Away 3.07ERA 0.98WHIP .223BAA

Santa Grass 3.96ERA 1.12WHIP .250BAA

No one can claim Ozzie didn't manage to win last night. Iguchi was ailing so Harris got the start at 2B. The only sub was Thomas for a Contreras AB in the late innings.

With his stellar night Cotts rose to #5 on the NPERA rankings for top level relief pitchers.

I remember the debates we had in the off-season. Adkins vs Cotts. I felt Cotts was capable of having a good year based on some really fine stretches of scoreless IP he had last year. I'm glad he's even exceeded my expectations.

Will Ozzie go for the sweep or go for getting his subs work tonight? In this series Pods (.300 OBP), Crede (.333 OBP). Expect Everett & Ozuna tonight.

AJ (.450 OBP), Dye (.667 OBP), Koney (.667 OBP, 4R, 2RBI). I suspect will see Widger for AJ, but Ozzie is insane if he benches Dye or Koney tonight.

Guest JimH

With their lefthander going, maybe he will put Ozuna at 2B if Iguchi's back is still bothering him. Possibly Everett in LF instead of Podsednik as well, and Widger.

Ozuna, Widger, Everett. Since Harris played Tue there was no need to keep him in there with Iguchi healthy enough to play. Iguchi's presence helped the B team. A lot.

Iguchi scored twice & drove in two when the game was still on the line.

He helped the CSox gain a 5-4 lead before the pen took over.

Maybe Ozzie learned something last night. Don't sub both Crede & Iguchi

on the same days if you can help it.

I think Perez' failure to play is writing on the wall that his days are numbered. The papers report Harris is the odd man out when/if Gload returns but Perez is fast becoming a forgotten man.

The CSox needed this game as Santana gave his best performance of the year. 106 pitch, 4H, CG, SO. My only hope is that is extra workload this year will wear him out come Aug. He's avg'g a little over 7IP per start this year. Last yr at this time he avg'd 6 2/3. It might be wishful thinking on my part though. Despite the extra workload he's only avg'g 102 pitches per start. That's rock solid. It seems the tipping pitches was thing Hunter picked up on in May was really holding him back.