Crazy Carl

KevHead0881

He's entitled to his opinion, but it also makes him sound ignorant. It's like saying "being left handed is just wrong". I have had gay friends, and it's obvious to me you're born that way. End of story.

Why the author asked him that question out of the blue... probably because he knew what Carl would say.. what else would you expect him to say.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
He's entitled to his opinion, but it also makes him sound ignorant.  It's like saying "being left handed is just wrong".  I have had gay friends, and it's obvious to me you're born that way.  End of story.

Why the author asked him that question out of the blue... probably because he knew what Carl would say.. what else would you expect him to say.

It is obvious to YOU. That is an opinion. It is a very debateable and controversial subject. There aren't any facts that back your opinion up. Just because one believes one way or another does not make someone ignorant.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
He's entitled to his opinion, but it also makes him sound ignorant.  It's like saying "being left handed is just wrong".  I have had gay friends, and it's obvious to me you're born that way.  End of story.

Basically what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make this a big political argument. He believes what he believes and he's entitled to think that way. As loony as his social commentary sounds though, he seems to be a decent guy.

To be honest, he can believe in the loch ness monster for all I care. As long as he helps us win games, I'm a happy guy.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
It's ironic that Carl calls fans ignorant of the game, talking about a subject they know nothing about. How does he explain the fossil record? Does anyone know what he's said about those huge skeletons in the Field Museum (assuming they're still there)?

I believe most fans are ignorant of the game. I really don't think there is any question about that. Have you listened to sports radio lately? There are some really ignorant fans out there. I believe fans that do know what they are talking about are not in the majority.

He thinks that all those bones are fake and that it is all a bunch of propaganda.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
I believe most fans are ignorant of the game. I really don't think there is any question about that. Have you listened to sports radio lately? There are some really ignorant fans out there. I believe fans that do know what they are talking about are not in the majority.

He thinks that all those bones are fake and that it is all a bunch of propaganda.

I agree many or most fans are plenty ignorant. I just find it ironic that Carl, obviously ignorant of science, has the nerve to call anyone ignorant.

Saying fossils are fake/propaganda is laughable. He's entitled to his beliefs, but such "thinking" is...well...the epitome of ignorance.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
I agree many or most fans are plenty ignorant. I just find it ironic that Carl, obviously ignorant of science, has the nerve to call anyone ignorant.

Saying fossils are fake/propaganda is laughable. He's entitled to his beliefs, but such "thinking" is...well...the epitome of ignorance.

Why is that? Because it's not the accepted norm? Because it varies from what the majority of society believe is fact? What if the majority of socierty believed that abortion was wrong? Would that make anyone that believed otherwise "ignorant"? Once upon a time, the majority of society believed the earth was the center of the universe. They believed that sun and stars revolved around the earth. The ones that observed the movement of the stars and planets and calculated that the earth wasn't the center of the universe, were they ignorant?

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
It's ironic that Carl calls fans ignorant of the game, talking about a subject they know nothing about. How does he explain the fossil record? Does anyone know what he's said about those huge skeletons in the Field Museum (assuming they're still there)?

haha! how bout it! people who don't think dinosaurs existed are very very ignorant

:banghead

but who cares, carl can believe in whatever he wants

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Why is that?  Because it's not the accepted norm?  Because it varies from what the majority of society believe is fact?  What if the majority of socierty believed that abortion was wrong?  Would that make anyone that believed otherwise "ignorant"? Once upon a time, the majority of society believed the earth was the center of the universe.  They believed that sun and stars revolved around the earth. The ones that observed the movement of the stars and planets and calculated that the earth wasn't the center of the universe, were they ignorant?

I'm not sure what you're asking, or whether you understood my post.

Yes, people used to believe the sun revolved around the earth. This has been proven false for centuries. Anyone who still believed this would indeed be ignorant. Belief is one thing. Scientific evidence another.

Carl is choosing to ignore the most convincing form of evidence - existence. Fossils exist. Dinosaurs existed. We have the bones to prove they did. Since the fossil record cannot be denied, Carl chooses to invent a conspiracy theory in order to validate his religious belief.

The accepted norm is irrelevant. Facts are not dependent on opinion. Some things are simply not open for debate. I am right handed regardless of what anyone else says, thinks or believes. Fossils have been found all over the world, by hundreds of scientists, for over a century. The findings have been meticulously documented and verified by hundreds of other scientists. Claiming it's all a giant conspiracy is beyond ignorance; it's childlike.

Abortion is irrelevant as well. Abortion is an action, a procedure. Any action is open to debate - from wearing seatbelts to alcohol use to abortion. Evidence is subject to interpretation, but it cannot be denied. Carl is manipulating his own mind by saying an entire field of science is fraudulant. Perhaps naive is a better word than ignorant, but Carl is obviously ignorant of the field of paleontology, or he wouldn't make the statements he does.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)

Yes, people used to believe the sun revolved around the earth. This has been proven false for centuries. Anyone who still believed this would indeed be ignorant. Belief is one thing. Scientific evidence another.

Carl is choosing to ignore the most convincing form of evidence - existence. Fossils exist. Dinosaurs existed. We have the bones to prove they did. Since the fossil record cannot be denied, Carl chooses to invent a conspiracy theory in order to validate his religious belief.

The accepted norm is irrelevant. Facts are not dependent on opinion. Some things are simply not open for debate. I am right handed regardless of what anyone else says, thinks or believes. Fossils have been found all over the world, by hundreds of scientists, for over a century. The findings have been meticulously documented and verified by hundreds of other scientists. Claiming it's all a giant conspiracy is beyond ignorance; it's childlike.

Abortion is irrelevant as well. Abortion is an action, a procedure. Any action is open to debate - from wearing seatbelts to alcohol use to abortion. Evidence is subject to interpretation, but it cannot be denied. Carl is manipulating his own mind by saying an entire field of science is fraudulant. Perhaps naive is a better word than ignorant, but Carl is obviously ignorant of the field of paleontology, or he wouldn't make the statements he does.

My point is simple. Scientific fact is not the be all, end all that it's cracked up to be. Those "facts" change over time.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)

burn

:crying