Crazy Carl

KevHead0881

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Nothing he said there makes me squeamish.  He's pretty much correct on everything he said in the Maxim article.

I love the way all the PC media idiots are outraged over his recent comments!  LOL!

Carl isn't crazy.  Carl rules. :headbang

Umm, Carl is borderline retarded. ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me clarify something here. I was endorsing Carl's theories in any way, shape or form. All I was trying to say is that what is accepted as fact today may not be accepted as such tomorrow. My comments about the earth being perceived as the center of the universe are a graphic, though dated, example. The science world has always taken the approach that what they say is fact. History has taught us that science, and scientists, are not infallible. Those that look at things from outside the proverbial box have historically been labeled as nut-cases, yet from time to time these nut-cases are proven to be correct. I don't think it's correct, or smart, to label somebody as being ignorant just because they don't accept everything at face value.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
Well, his comments are now getting national play.  Opinionated or ignorant, it would probably be best if he kept his trap shut.

Look, Carl's statements were not unsolicited. A reporter asked him questions. So he's supposed to keep his trap shut because you don't agree with his answers?

What if Carl believed that Gay Marriage should be legalized in all fifty states, Wrigley Field is the most beautiful spot on the earth, Gammons is a baseball genius, and most people who watch baseball know as much about the game as a seasoned veteran in the Majors? Should he have kept his trap shut then? Would all the PC storm troopers be up in arms about his comments?

And for those who continually bash him because he does not believe in dinosaurs, would you bash him if he believed human beings descended from apes?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Those that look at things from outside the proverbial box have historically been labeled as nut-cases, yet from time to time these nut-cases are proven to be correct.

I essentially agree with you, but if you ask me, not believing in dinosaurs and only believing what the bible tells you would classify as not looking outside the proverbial box. But I guess that can be interpereted in many ways.

I do believe that everybody is entitled to their opinions. My problem with these comments, or at least one specifically, is that it could be considered hurtful or offensive. No matter what you think about the "gay issue", there will probably be a ton of people who find the "Gays being gay is wrong" statement to be insensitive. And while I don't want to compare his comments to those of John Rocker, in my mind, this particular comment isn't far off.

Like I said, he has the right to believe these things. But, I'm sure the White Sox organization and many others prefer that he didn't make them.

By the way, has this thread earned "Sex, Lies & Politics" status yet? Its starting to look a little out of place in the Palehose talk section.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Let me clarify something here.  I was endorsing Carl's theories in any way, shape or form.  All I was trying to say is that what is accepted as fact today may not be accepted as such tomorrow.   My comments about the earth being perceived as the center of the universe are a graphic, though dated, example.  The science world has always taken the approach that what they say is fact.  History has taught us that science, and scientists, are not infallible.  Those that look at things from outside the proverbial box have historically been labeled as nut-cases, yet from time to time these nut-cases are proven to be correct.  I don't think it's correct, or smart, to label somebody as being ignorant just because they don't accept everything at face value.

I understand what you were saying, Yas. No clarification needed.

Geocentrism is borne out of religious belief, not scientific observation. (Though it's perfectly reasonable to assume the sun is moving around the earth, as we see it rise and set every day. This is how early man viewed the universe.) Science simply attempts to explain natural phenomena. It does this using the scientific method, which begins with observation. Science does not proclaim to know everything. It is anti-science religious zealots who make that claim, not the scientists themselves.

Revolutionary ideas are one thing. Newton and later Einstein were perhaps viewed as nutcases by some. But Carl isn't forming an opinion on gravity, particle physics or string theory. He thinks dinosaurs didn't exist. You have to admit that is a little screwy. I'm not saying Carl is screwy, but saying dinosaurs didn't exist because they aren't mentioned in the Bible is a bit over the top, and it doesn't make one bit of sense.

The Bible is a religious text, not the "List of Everything that once Existed." There's no mention of the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in the Bible either, but I can guarantee you they exist. I've seen them in mountain streams.

If people want to deny evidence and facts because they conflict with their religious beliefs, that is their right. However, such denial is indeed naive.

Edited by nvxplorer

Here is Ozzie's reaction to Carl's craziness.....you have to love it

===================

Stand by your man

Carl Everett declined to elaborate on comments he made in the July issue of Maxim magazine in which he questioned gay marriage, the intelligence of fans and Wrigley Field.

"I'm not reiterating," Everett told a few reporters. "You got what I said the first time."

Said Guillen: "Carl is Carl. I'm not going to criticize Carl because I have a bigger mouth than he does."

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
It is obvious to YOU. That is an opinion. It is a very debateable and controversial subject. There aren't any facts that back your opinion up. Just because one believes one way or another does not make someone ignorant.

Well, there are some facts backing up the Homosexuality/Nature debate. An overwhelming amount of testimonials from homosexuals seems to say they always remember feeling the way they do. Second off, a look at Identical Twins and Fraternal Twins found some convincing evidence. When one identical twin was found to be gay, there was a 50% chance the other was as well. With Fraternal twins, that # is much lower.

Eitiher way, it doesn't really matter nature or nurture, what is important is acceptance and equality.

Everett has proven time and time again that he is an idiot. I don't have a problem unless he becomes an idiot with an agenda.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
Well, there are some facts backing up the Homosexuality/Nature debate.  An overwhelming amount of testimonials from homosexuals seems to say they always remember feeling the way they do.  Second off, a look at Identical Twins and Fraternal Twins found some convincing evidence.  When one identical twin was found to be gay, there was a 50% chance the other was as well.  With Fraternal twins, that # is much lower. 

Eitiher way, it doesn't really matter nature or nurture, what is important is acceptance and equality.

Everett has proven time and time again that he is an idiot.  I don't have a problem unless he becomes an idiot with an agenda.

Carl's a religious guy and I'm basically the opposite of that so I'm not sure but isn't there something in the bible or catholic religion that opposes homosexuality or have I been watching to much television :P

What will Carl catch the most heat for........

1) Ripping on fans - - - he is right, go to Wrigley

2) Ripping on Wrigley - - - -he is right, go to Wrigley

3) His not accepting homosexuality --- see 1 and 2 (see kidding)

He is not John Rocker. This is a debatability issue but not a malicious attack.

His steroids v. the war is what should be the biggest topic as you may argue if more teens are lead to beleive they can succeed with steroids, this may kill more, or already has indirectly than the war in Iraq.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Um...

I don't believe baseball is mentioned in the bible, so should Carl, like, you know, find a new career?  :)

(I kid, I kid)

Not sure if there are many openings for shepards, but he could always get into carpentry.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:09 AM)
Well, there are some facts backing up the Homosexuality/Nature debate.  An overwhelming amount of testimonials from homosexuals seems to say they always remember feeling the way they do.  Second off, a look at Identical Twins and Fraternal Twins found some convincing evidence.  When one identical twin was found to be gay, there was a 50% chance the other was as well.  With Fraternal twins, that # is much lower. 

Everett has proven time and time again that he is an idiot.  I don't have a problem unless he becomes an idiot with an agenda.

What are they going to say? My parents never loved me and i felt unaccepted in my teenage years so I flocked to being gay as a way of acceptance? Of course people are going to say that they were born a certain way, it absolves you of any real responsibility for how you are. The nature vs nurture debate will continue for ages and no side can win the battle. I did my graduate school research revolving around the topic.

Carl is not an idiot, its his opinion. He was asked a question on gays, and he presented how he feels. He didnt go out of his way to campaign against gays, he answered a question with how he feels. ALOT of people think that being gay is wrong, and it doesnt mean that they are wrong in their opinion, there is no right in the situation. We cannot criticize Carl for being relgious or being ridgid in his beliefs. As much as ESPN wants to make us think that he was wrong, a majority of the US would probably agree on several issues with Carl. I dont think we have the right to look at him in a negative light for answering an interview honestly, and in correlation with his beliefs.