HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

Wise Master Buehrle

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
So where were you a week ago when I was trying to get people to notice this monemtous occassion, Yatzee?  :)

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...5174

I kinda figured you'd be on top of this Jim. :chair oh well, :cheers

Edited by YahtzeeSox

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
DBAH0 you just brought out the Pink Floyd nerd in me.  :aussie:

Anyways "Pink Floyd" played in 1994. This is the Pink Floyd with 3 of the 4 band members, not including Roger Waters who, above, just agreed to perform with them.

Now, with Roger... I think it was about 1981 or so. After The Wall things pretty much turned sour and he left the band. For the past 20 years they've been in all sorts of lawsuits and stuff involving lawyers and sniping but now it seems they've set aside their differences for a good cause. This is Pink Floyd, not for money, but for a good cause. Roger's a bit of an asshole but I respect him a lot more for this.

Pink Floyd made one album with Roger Waters after The Wall, it was called The Final Cut, although keyboardist Rick Wright did not play on it for reasons I do not know. So the last time the main 4 members played together was sometime on The Wall tour. The Pink Floyd that has been performing since, has added about 8 members through extra drummers, keyoards, guitars, female vocals, and a saxophone player. All of which are completely unnecessary in my opinion, check out the DVD Pink Floyd: Live in Pompeii, for an example of how powerful that group could be live with only 4 pieces.

The origional Pink Floyd hasn't played together since around 1968, of course.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)

Shhh... Don't tell Syd. He still thinks he's in the band.

Agreed that Pompeii shows the best-known lineup of the band at their best.

I am not a Pink Floyd fan, but this is GREAT news for anybody out there hoping for a favorite band to reform! If these guys can put aside problems from the past, then anybody can! I just wish somebody would go talk to Gabriel and the rest of the classic 5 Genesis line-up. They have said that they are not opposed to getting back together at all, but it would need to be for a good reason, and money is NOT that reason. I think charity and sharing a monumental event such as a Floyd reunion would make for a stellar day/night in music. But knowing the parts of Genesis, and what kind of people that are, I am sure they would now refuse as it has become Floyds day, and they wouldn't want to distract from them.

But rock on Floyd, good luck!

You couldn't get Phil to just get back behind the drum kit and leave the singing up to Peter. I don't even know what Steve Hacket is doing these days. But as someone who pretty much refuses to consider any album after Lamb Lies Down as even being a Genesis album (and Selling England By the Pound is in my top 5 favorite rock albums of all time), I'd love to see them reunite and actually do something in the studio and not just a one-off live thing.

Hackett is still doing his solo stuff. He just released one not too long ago, I do believe.

Collins would go back behind the kit for this type of thing, just not forever. But they all still talk and get together for certain occasions. The boxset that they released a few years ago, Archives Vol. 1, actually had them all recording together again. The final song of the live LAMB was not on the original tapes, so they got together to record a new version in the studio. So they are willing to work together still and get along quite well. Gabriel just refuses to "whore out" the band. They don't want money to be the issue, or atleast Gabriel doesn't.

Collins also had his Jazz band Brand X for quite awhile, so it is obvious he is willing to just do drums. Part of the problem is that so many people look down on the name Genesis now, thanks to the hit machine it became, and don't realize how great that band was once, and how cool it would be to see that line-up agan.

I also agree that once Gabriel left the band took a nose dive, but the complete death was the departure of Hackett. IMO Trick Of The Tale and Wind and Wuthering are still respectable releases.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
I also agree that once Gabriel left the band took a nose dive, but the complete death was the departure of Hackett. IMO Trick Of The Tale and Wind and Wuthering are still respectable releases.

Trespass too, for that matter. And the transitional albums were still fairly strong too, despite my earlier remarks. And Then There Were Three still had a lot of the genesis sound (I guess that was Hacket's doing?), and even though Duke heralded the begininning of the pop monster incarnation of the band it certainly had a couple of high points.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
:cheers  :snr

If you like Skynyrd, check out the Drive-By Truckers

The Truckers are far superior to Skynyrd in so many ways. God do I f***ing loathe Skynyrd.

"Hay, we're Southerners, lol!"

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Pink Floyd made one album with Roger Waters after The Wall, it was called The Final Cut, although keyboardist Rick Wright did not play on it for reasons I do not know.  So the last time the main 4 members played together was sometime on The Wall tour.  The Pink Floyd that has been performing since, has added about 8 members through extra drummers, keyoards, guitars, female vocals, and a saxophone player.  All of which are completely unnecessary in my opinion, check out the DVD Pink Floyd: Live in Pompeii, for an example of how powerful that group could be live with only 4 pieces.

I dunno this is kinda me but I don't consider the Final Cut Pink Floyd. But that's just me.

And yeah man, Pompeii is one hell of a great movie. I watch it all the time.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I dunno this is kinda me but I don't consider the Final Cut Pink Floyd. But that's just me.

And yeah man, Pompeii is one hell of a great movie. I watch it all the time.

Compared to the Wall, Final Cut was certainly less monumental, and was very much the Roger show (subtitled 'Roger Water's post-war requiem, that makes sense). But I think Roger's sonwriting is sharp, and I see the album as being a pretty natural extension of Roger's quieter songs on the Wall. Heck, Gunner's Dream and Fletcher Memorial Home could have been standout Waters songs if they were on the Wall.

Tell you one thing. I think that album is of more consequence than anything released in teh post-Roger years.

this was awesome news...i'm a big floyd fan and it was painful to see the watered down crap that was pink floyd touring without roger waters...

waters is an asshole but thats prolly because he is what one would call eccentric...what others would call crazy...

anyway...ugh...no way U2s over produced garbage compares to the originality of floyd.

PLUS...you better hope for a tour...because if i'm correct from the last time i read...bands aren't getting a very long set and for pink floyd that would be like 4 songs...

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
PLUS...you better hope for a tour...because if i'm correct from the last time i read...bands aren't getting a very long set and for pink floyd that would be like 4 songs...

Or one Shine On You Crazy Diamond. :D

This is f***ing fantastic news. I can only DREAM they consider a US tour. Who knows, if someone throws enough money at Waters, I bet they give it a go; I'll be the first in line.

This is just too cool for words. :headbang :headbang :headbang

I also propse we let Mr. Barrett play some small role in the production, perhaps triangle.

FLOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang :headbang

i'm actually suprised there aren't more pink floyd fans here...and to anyone who isn't because of unfamiliarity, i encourage you to actually go and purchase a floyd album and really listen to it... i know a number of friends who have been converted just cause they never actually listened to it