Observation

FlaCWS

As I've mentioned before, I'm an out-of-towner. When I first started coming to this board I noticed a lot of bashing of the Chicago Tribune, calling it the "Cub-une" because of its ownership and perceived bias toward the other team in town.

However, with the Sox playing so well, it seems to me that the Tribune - at least on its web site - gives the Sox top-billing almost every day. On the other hand, after that thrilling win last night, the Sun Times has the Cubs loss to the Yanks as the top story! And their top column is about the Sox pathetic history. WTF?

Again, being an out-of-towner I have to defer to the people who've been observing this stuff for years, but on 2 1/2 months of observation it seems to me it's the Sun-Times that shafts the Sox (and that's without even mentioning Jay Mariotti :-).

PS - Those throwback uni's last night were cool as hell. I say bring back the red outline on the numbers...

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
If the sox played the cubs in the world series and they won. The main picture on all the newspapers would have a cubs person crying or somethin and say "Cubs lose, extend streak to X amount of years"

Indeed, it would be about the Cubs losing and not the Sox winning.

I perfer to read The Tribune a lot more then the Sun Times. I enjoy Phil Rodgers columns. The Tribune really doesn't rip on the Sox, and not just talking about this year. At least on their site. It could be different witht he actual Newspaper, with having the cubs on the back page.

The Couch article is dead wrong on at least one point. Reinsdorf did not want the new Comiskey Park built where it was. He wanted it in Addison. This is pretty much common knowledge, and was even back then. The State Legislature, led by Pate Phillips, refused to allow this, and mandated the new ball park's location.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
The Couch article is dead wrong on at least one point. Reinsdorf did not want the new Comiskey Park built where it was. He wanted it in Addison. This is pretty much common knowledge, and was even back then. The State Legislature, led by Pate Phillips, refused to allow this, and mandated the new ball park's location.

I believe Harold Washington was the man responsible for the location of USCF. You are correct. I think the current location was probably Reinsdorf's most unappealing option.

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
If the sox played the cubs in the world series and they won. The main picture on all the newspapers would have a cubs person crying or somethin and say "Cubs lose, extend streak to X amount of years"

Sadly, your right.

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Sadly, your right.

I'm not quite sure about that one. maybe a few papers, but the majority would focus on the Sox, and any national publications (SI, TSN, ESPN, etc.), would only have the side stories about the Cubs streak.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm not quite sure about that one.  maybe a few papers, but the majority would focus on the Sox, and any national publications (SI, TSN, ESPN, etc.), would only have the side stories about the Cubs streak.

I would bet you any newspaper main headline would say, "The streak continues"