Sox Looking at Ted Lilly

beck72

Didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd post it.

According to today's Toronto Sun, KW's assistant was at monday's game [along with 3 other teams looking at Lilly]. http://torontosun.com/Sports/Baseball/2005...099252-sun.html

Could be the sox have some concerns about BMac being ready for the 5th starter. If BMac isn't the answer, and El Duque's health doesn't improve, the sox would need a 5th starter.

I guess Lilly could be the long man in the bullpen, if El Duque's health improved. Yet the need sure would be there. Save Bmac for 2006, use this year to work in AAA.

This makes some sense. Seeing how Lilly was traded for Bobby Kielty last time [in 2003, 2004?] he wouldn't cost a lot in terms of talent. Though he has a 6+ era, he's thrown better in the 2nd half the last 3 years, and has thrown well lately [vs 2 division leading teams, Balt. and STL]

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
I'd prefer to see Lilly as the 5th stater, with El Duque coming out of the pen.  It'd be nice to have that insurance, since B-Mac is obviously not ready.

or you could throw them half and half on the day one of them starts, just a thought

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
:sleep  does nothing for me

I agree. Even when he was winning, he ERA was pretty high. He isn't that good even when he's at his best. Rather have El Duque. I guess he wouldn't be a bad option for mopup duty if we are trading one of those PTBNL guys.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
or you could throw them half and half on the day one of them starts, just a thought

I don't like the idea of having them each be "White Sox Stater 5.5" I wish El Duque were reliable, but he's not, so I say go shopping.

Like I've said before, if KW goes shopping, it won't be for a 5th, he'll go for something better.

Also, seeing how Lilly's $3.1 mill. contract is up after this year, the Sox could offer arb to him, knowing he'd refuse it, and still get some draft picks for him [based on his decent two previous yrs.

The one yr rental, who could be the 5th SP and be the LHP who takes over Cotts' spot in the bullpen when/ if El Duque returns?! As long as he's not too expensive [with his 6+ era, shouldn't be--hell, the A's traded him for Bobby Kielty] why not. The sox could never have too many decent SP's.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Lilly is a flyball pitcher that is susceptible to the longball.  His ERA at the Cell would be atrocious.

Seriously. And he'd have to continue to improve A LOT just to be a decent 5th by our rotation's standards, judging by his numbers this year...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't like the idea of having them each be "White Sox Stater 5.5"  I wish El Duque were reliable, but he's not, so I say go shopping.

Like I've said before, if KW goes shopping, it won't be for a 5th, he'll go for something better.

... and i don't mean a 5th of vodka

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Seriously.  And he'd have to continue to improve A LOT just to be a decent 5th by our rotation's standards, judging by his numbers this year...

his numbers have been improving

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Where's Cory Lidle these days? That's another guy KW's loved. Maybe he doesn't see the point in trading for a Superstar pitcher. I don't see it. We just would need someone to help finish up the season and I think El Duque could get that done.

lidle is in philadelphia, and the phillies wont trade any pitchers, unless they get an ace which they need

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Lilly is a flyball pitcher that is susceptible to the longball.  His ERA at the Cell would be atrocious.

Could he be more consistent than Bmac, and throw more innings? Yes. Could he help the bullpen [in the cotts' long man role/ LOGGY guy] if El Duque returns to form? Probably.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Where's Cory Lidle these days? That's another guy KW's loved. Maybe he doesn't see the point in trading for a Superstar pitcher. I don't see it. We just would need someone to help finish up the season and I think El Duque could get that done.

He gets a #1 or #2 type starter, the Sox would be the most feared team in baseball, plus if they continue to build this lead in the division he could rest guys the second half. I'm not sold on El Duque in the playoffs. He's hurt, and I really don't think he's going to be in much better shape for the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
He gets a #1 or #2 type starter, the Sox would be the most feared team in baseball, plus if they continue to build this lead in the division he could rest guys the second half. I'm not sold on El Duque in the playoffs. He's hurt, and I really don't think he's going to be in much better shape for the playoffs.

all star break should help him, and add the rest while hes injured, he should come back in better shape than he was, but we still need insurance

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)

Getting a #1, #2 SP is far easier said than done. And not worth the price IMO. I think the sox would be hard pressed to find a SP out there who could better what Mark, Jon, Freddy and Jose can do. Plus, if El Duque can pitch, a 5th starter type could go to the bullpen.