What Is Your Greatest Memory

Southside hitmen

Too many memories to choose, but I guess the most memorable was a homerun, but not by a Sox player. My school buddies and I were at a game in '68. I was eleven years old, and it had to be one of the first games my mother let me go to on my own. It was an awful year for the Sox, attendance was sparse, and the three of us were in the left field upper deck, all by ourselves (The park was empty, and we moved around throughout the game.) We were watching Mickey Mantle bat, and he hit a homerun that landed not twenty feet from us. It hit one of the empty seats and bounced away. That's something I'll never forget.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Are you sure it was Luzinski and Kittle?  I seem to remember something where I saw 4 roofshots in a day.  Mark McGwire hit one in a pre-game exhibition with Team USA, then Luzinski and I thought Fisk for the Sox and then Darrell Jones (?) with Detroit hit one over the RF roof.  Does anyone have a list of all the roofshots?

The 1991 media guide lists 44.

On July 2, 1984 Kittle hit one, then the next day Luzinski and Ruppert Jones of Detroit did it. Then on August 1, 1984 Kittle and Fisk hit ones against Boston's Bob Ojeda. The last Sox player to do it was Ron Kittle on a horrible cold night, 4-17-90.

The most powerful display I saw was George Bell, when he was with Toronto, when on 8-24-85 he took Seaver to the roof, the next day he went roofing with Floyd Bannister, and on 8-23-85, he hit one into the center field bleachers off the immortal Dave Wehrmeister. Only 7 balls went into the CF bleachers.

Only 7 balls went into the CF bleachers.

Yes, very few, that was a long poke. Jimmy Foxx hit one out there, Dick Allen for sure, George Bell as you mention ... and I thought I'd read Mantle hit one into the bleachers but not certain.

I remember the Dick Allen one, I want to say 1972, was not at the game but watched it on tv. Harry Caray was broadcasting from out there and it landed very close to him, he was trying to snag it in that net.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
i got blown by some drunk girl in the men's room

I was remembering a gay buddy of mine dressing up like a chick, getting drunk, and blowing some unsuspecting guy in the bathroom. I'm sure it can't be the same memory.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Are you sure it was Luzinski and Kittle?  I seem to remember something where I saw 4 roofshots in a day.  Mark McGwire hit one in a pre-game exhibition with Team USA, then Luzinski and I thought Fisk for the Sox and then Darrell Jones (?) with Detroit hit one over the RF roof.  Does anyone have a list of all the roofshots?

Yeah, it was Luzinski and Kittle. Ron was at an autograph signing last week and I mentioned it to him and he rememebered doing it.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
The 1991 media guide lists 44.

On July 2, 1984 Kittle hit one, then the next day Luzinski and Ruppert Jones of Detroit did it. Then on August 1, 1984 Kittle and Fisk hit ones against Boston's Bob Ojeda. The last Sox player to do it was Ron Kittle on a horrible cold night, 4-17-90.

The most powerful display I saw was George Bell, when he was with Toronto, when on 8-24-85 he took Seaver to the roof, the next day he went roofing with Floyd Bannister, and on 8-23-85, he hit one into the center field bleachers off the immortal Dave Wehrmeister.  Only 7 balls went into the CF bleachers.

I think I went to all of those games in July of '84. I was definitely at the game with The Bull and Ruppert Jones. But I remember seeing 4 in a game, this must've been it, 4 in two days.