On the Questionable Use of Neal Cotts

Antonio Osuna

Why did Ozzie put in Cotts in a blowout? We had Shingo and Vizcaino available (Luis was used later), and the former has been improving as of late.

The other two games aren't going to be this close; the services of Mr. Cotts will undoubtly be needed, particularly tomorrow. Would it not be wiser to perhaps give up a few useless runs and have a fully rested Cotts available?

I'd argue that Shingo is more in need of work than Cotts at this point; I don't believe that's a controversial view.

Shingo in the 8th, Vizcaino in the 9th after Baker brought in the minor leaguers would have resulted perhaps a few more runs for the national league ballclub in this game, but it'd still count the same in the standings.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
I'd argue that Shingo is more in need of work than Cotts at this point; I don't believe that's a controversial view.

Shingo in the 8th, Vizcaino in the 9th after Baker brought in the minor leaguers would have resulted perhaps a few more runs for the national league ballclub in this game, but it'd still count the same in the standings.

We just kicked the s*** out of the Cubs and you find something to b**** about.

Enjoy the win and I may speak for others when I say, QUIT b****ING!

Cotts hadn't pitched since going 2.1 innings on Monday after BMac's outing, Shingo and Marte both got time in before the offday.

Usually with a reliever, the longer they sit, the more rusty they are when they come out. I can't find a problem with using Cotts for an inning tonight, and I'm not surprised that he had a little rust on him.

I'll live with 12-2 wins over the Cubs any day of the week.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
We just kicked the s*** out of the Cubs and you find something to b**** about.

Enjoy the win and I may speak for others when I say, QUIT b****ING!

I wouldn't call it b****ing, I'd call it simple questioning of Ozzie. He's not saying that it was the dumbest move ever.

I too would have liked to have seen Shingo and Vizcaino used in the 8th and 9th(even if Viz was used in the 9th)...nothing wrong with bringing it up for discussion.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
I wouldn't call it b****ing, I'd call it simple questioning of Ozzie.  He's not saying that it was the dumbest move ever.

I too would have liked to have seen Shingo and Vizcaino used in the 8th and 9th(even if Viz was used in the 9th)...nothing wrong with bringing it up for discussion.

I can see ABOZ's point though. Its water under the bridge in a 12-2 rout. Its not like he went out and got hurt or something. Then there MIGHT be a reason for a thread like this.

I can see ABOZ's point though.  Its water under the bridge in a 12-2 rout.  Its not like he went out and got hurt or something.  Then there MIGHT be a reason for a thread like this.

I'd rather win 12-4 and then have a strong bullpen available tomorrow than win 12-2 and have a short outing from Contreras force us to have to use a tired or questionable reliever in a close game tomorrow.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I'd rather win 12-4 and then have a strong bullpen available tomorrow than win 12-2 and have a short outing from Contreras force us to have to use a tired or questionable reliever in a close game tomorrow.

Dude. We just had an off day Thursday. Nobody's gonna be tired.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)

We'd be in more trouble tomorrow if it were a close game and Cotts came out rusty from not having worked in 6 days that we are after him having worked an inning today.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)

Cotts was a mop-up pitcher when this season started, he can pitch a lot. He was a starter before that. 1 inning to get the rust off is not going to hurt him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
We'd be in more trouble tomorrow if it were a close game and Cotts came out rusty from not having worked in 6 days that we are after him having worked an inning today.

Which if we have learned ANYTHING about Neal Cotts in 2005, it is that he doesn't pitch well on long rest. He was awful when he wasn't getting used regularly early in the season.