SI's midseason awards

Dam8610

SI did their midseason MLB report in their most recent issues, and the following awards were won by the following people:

AL Manager of the Year - Ozzie Guillen

AL Rookie of the Year - Tadahito Iguchi

Deserved or undeserved? I really don't like when guys have been playing pro ball in Japan for a few years but are still classified as a rookie when they come to MLB, so I don't think Tadahito deserves the ROY award.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
SI did their midseason MLB report in their most recent issues, and the following awards were won by the following people:

Deserved or undeserved? I really don't like when guys have been playing pro ball in Japan for a few years but are still classified as a rookie when they come to MLB, so I don't think Tadahito deserves the ROY award.

You can't go wrong with picking Ozzie. The Sox have the best record in Major League Baseball. And I agree with you, I don't like seeing the Japanese players being rookies, but I'm happy they gave it to Iguchi. lol just pray for no SI jinx here.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)

You have a point. But Ichiro won it. Until they make it a rule, so be it. Tadahito deserves it.

FWIW, Ozzie was saying the other day that the govt in Japan won't let the players go to the US until they're 27. He said it's not their fault and should be able to win the ROY. If this is true, it changes my mind on the subject.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
FWIW, Ozzie was saying the other day that the govt in Japan won't let the players go to the US until they're 27. He said it's not their fault and should be able to win the ROY. If this is true, it changes my mind on the subject.

Yeah, that's basically true. I have a copy of Robert Whiting's book "The Meaning of Ichiro" (the paperback version was renamed, something like "The Samurai Way" IIRC). Here is what he says in the book:

In December 1998, the new agreement, forged between the respective commissioner's offices of Major League Baseball and Nippon Professional Bseball, went into effect.  It was called the Posting System and under this framework, there would theoretically be no more Nomos, Irabus or Sorianos.  In the posting system, all 30 major league clubs in the United States would be allowed to bid for a Japanese player, made available by a Japanese club, with the exclusive negotiating rights going to the club which submits the highest bid.  It thus represented a new, third path for Japenese players to go to the US.  (The other two, of course were the granting of an outright release or exercising one's rights as a free agent after playing nine full seasons.)  The infamous voluntary retirement clause, or "Nomo Clause," would no longer be in effect.

Most Japanese players apparently are signed right out of high school, so nine years after that would be age 27.

By the way, Whiting's book is pretty good. I learned a lot from it. I have heard people say that it's repetitive of some of his older books (which I haven't read).

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
You have a point.  But Ichiro won it.  Until they make it a rule,  so be it.  Tadahito deserves it.

So did Sasaki, and he was like 35 at the time. And Shingo came in second last year, I think. He finished behind Bobby Crosby, the most undeserving ROY in the history of baseball.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)

Guys playing minor league ball in the US are playing pro ball, too.

If the season ended right now, Iguchi would have the best rookie numbers in the AL, but somehow I doubt that's going to continue. Reed and Swisher have both looked better of late, and Iguchi has been down from his .320 pace for quite a while.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
So did Sasaki, and he was like 35 at the time.  And Shingo came in second last year, I think.  He finished behind Bobby Crosby, the most undeserving ROY in the history of baseball.

same thing happened to Hideki Matsui in 2003.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
So did Sasaki, and he was like 35 at the time.  And Shingo came in second last year, I think.  He finished behind Bobby Crosby, the most undeserving ROY in the history of baseball.

No, that would be Ben Grieve in 1998 - of the media darling A's. Magglio totally outplayed him and should have been the ROY. Oh well...

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
No, that would be Ben Grieve in 1998 - of the media darling A's.  Magglio totally outplayed him and should have been the ROY.  Oh well...

Grieve's ROY stats:

.288 AVG .386 OBP .458 SLG 85 BB 123 K

Crosby's ROY stats:

.239 AVG .319 OBP .426 SLG 58 BB 141 K

And if you want to check fielding %, even though they play different positions, Grieve's was better. Bobby Crosby was a joke of a ROY.