Thomas wouldn't mind ending career with Sox

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Thomas wouldn't mind ending career with Sox

By Fred Mitchell

Tribune staff reporter

White Sox general manager Ken Williams indicated Wednesday the club wants to re-sign designated hitter Frank Thomas to a new contract.

And Thomas said he is ready to accommodate the team.

"He is one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen," said Williams, who watched Thomas blast his second three-run homer in as many nights Wednesday against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

"He is a Hall of Famer in my mind. When he gets there, I would like to be there sitting in the audience, seeing him go up to the stage. I also would like to see him hit his 500th [home run] in a White Sox uniform. He deserves this, and he deserves to be healthy.

"If we end up accomplishing our goal [of winning the World Series], I will be happiest for him and for [club Chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf. They put in a lot of work here."

Thomas' homer was the 447th of his career.

In the last year of his contract, the 37-year-old Thomas would be paid $10 million next season if the Sox exercise their option for 2006.

If they don't there is a $3.5 million buyout. The Sox could pay the buyout, however, and then negotiate a new multi-year deal loaded with incentives.

"It's mutual," Thomas said of his desire to remain in Chicago. "It would be very fitting to hit [the 500th home run] here. I love this organization and I have given this organization my all. I would love to be here and win it all. This is a special team."

Thomas, who tied Willie Mays for 17th on the all-time list Wednesday after drawing his 1,464th walk, also agreed with Williams' assertion that he should get into the Hall of Fame.

"Most definitely," Thomas said. "After everything we have noticed (regarding alleged steroid abusers among some of the game's other sluggers) that has come to light, I definitely feel that. But that doesn't mean anything. Only that final vote will get you in. I just pray I get there. I will continue to go out there and show a high level of excellence."

Thomas conceded a World Series would enhance his chances to showcase his offensive skills on a national stage.

"If we get that ring, I think that would solidify things," Thomas said. "That is my biggest goal left in the game."

After rehabbing a severe left ankle injury sustained last year, Thomas has registered some astonishing power numbers this season.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Barry Bonds in 2004 (10 in 51 at-bats) is the last player to hit 10 homers in less than 70 at-bats.

Carlos Delgado (10 in 56 in 2001) is the last AL player to accomplish the feat. After Wednesday, Thomas has 11 homers in 72 at-bats.

"The ankle [injury] was a tough road to hoe," Thomas said. "At a couple points, I thought I wasn't going to get back because of the ankle. And still it is a grind for me every day. Until I give it a chance to fully heal this coming off-season, I am going to have to keep battling every day.

"If I could get back on the field, I never doubted I could hit again. I have been able to hit my whole life. It is something you just don't lose. It's a gift from God. And I have worked very hard to keep it sharp."

Thomas has eight home runs and 17 RBIs in just 17 games at U.S. Cellular Field this year.

"It's pretty amazing," Sox hitting coach Greg Walker said.

"The main reason he got off to a great start is the fact he worked so hard during that [rehab] time period. And the stint in the minor leagues helped him. He is so strong. The balls he hits that would be doubles for most people with topspin on them, he is hitting them out. … The thing of it is, in my mind he really hasn't gotten hot yet. "

For a power hitter, Thomas, a two-time league MVP, has remained relentlessly patient at the plate.

"It's definitely technique and balance," Thomas said. "I try to get everything I can out of each swing. I don't want to be swinging just to be swinging."

Thomas has done his best to shed the label of a selfish, introspective player.

"It is a joy to be back on a team that has a winning spirit," he said.

"And I want to be a bigger part of the second half for them because people tend to get a little tired down the stretch."

Five or six million dollars a year and it's a deal. If he wants anymore i think it would be time to part with him as sad as it may be. We all know how much of a dick he can be over money so this should be interesting. I think he has to realize his health issues will heavily weigh into the money he recieves. If we could rely on him playing 140 game a year plus it would be a different story, but you just cannot.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
I just can't imagine Frank gone, especailly if the team goes its seperate ways with Paul and Carl, which in my mind I think they will. Paul seems to be turning into a one trick pony.

This is what I think will happen. Pauly and Carl go and the sox renegotiate with Frank and get him a new contract. I want him to finish his career here but we can't just give him anything he wants. I love Frank but no player is above the team so hopefully this gets done but at the right price.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
Five or six million dollars a year and it's a deal. If he wants anymore i think it would be time to part with him as sad as it may be. We all know how much of a dick he can be over money so this should be interesting. I think he has to realize his health issues will heavily weigh into the money he recieves. If we could rely on him playing 140 game a year plus it would be a different story, but you just cannot.

What? Frank has never been a "dick" over money. JR has though. Frank accepted a diminished services clause in his contract that no other player of his caliber has ever had to accept.

The guy has a career OPS number higher than any other player on the Sox has ever accomplished in a single year, and you can add Maggs and Carlos Lee to that crowd if you like.

He's the best Sox player in the 100+ history of the franchise, and there really isn't anyone close.

While his peers were taking steroids to inflate their stats, Frank never has, and it has cost him dearly. Giambi stole Frank's 3rd MVP award in 2000, and do you know how many players have won 3 MVPs?

Give the guy a break. What pleases me about this article is that KW is finally singing Frank's praises. That should mean that JR won't have to intercede to get a deal done.

The Sox are bigger than Frank Thomas. But the Sox need Frank Thomas this year to reach the promised land.

I love Kenny Williams but if he cannot find a way to make Thomas stay here for life, especially with the increased attendance and a possible deep playoff run here, I will be one pissed mo'focker.....under no circumstances should Thomas be allowed to walk from the Sox. Do whatever it takes. Period.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
He always cries about money ALWAYS. I am not the only one that remembers this i hope?

I remember one instance, I don't remember it always being that way. However, is it impossible for people to change? I think not.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
I love Kenny Williams but if he cannot find a way to make Thomas stay here for life, especially with the increased attendance and a possible deep playoff run here, I will be one pissed mo'focker.....under no circumstances should Thomas be allowed to walk from the Sox. Do whatever it takes. Period.

I'll say this again, I love Frank as much as anyone here. I'd be extremely sad if he didn't finish his career here, however you don't jeopardize your team financially just because he's Frank Thomas. The White Sox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> an infinite amount of those more important then Frank. That being said hopefully Frank and Kenny can come to a fair agreement.

I was just thinking about this tonight at work. I had just found out that Podsednik had made the all-star team and the Sox had won again. I was happy to see that Big Frank had hit another homerun because that hopefully would increase his chance of coming back with the Sox. I thought about starting a thread about my desire to see Frank retire with the Sox just in case somebody in the organization kept tabs on Soxtalk.

I'm over Maggs, Lee ect. However I would be extremely disappointed if Frank was not back with the Sox. It doesn't matter what circumstances or what spin the club puts on the departure. I would be saddened more than a normal person should be. I hope they learn from the Fisk thing.

Seeing that KW is open to Frank coming back made my day. Mr. Thomas, thank you for the years I've had the pleasure to watch you play.

What a great day to be a Sox fan.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
I was just thinking about this tonight at work.  I had just found out that Podsednik had made the all-star team and the Sox had won again.  I was happy to see that Big Frank had hit another homerun because that hopefully would increase his chance of coming back with the Sox. I thought about starting a thread about my desire to see Frank retire with the Sox just in case somebody in the organization kept tabs on Soxtalk. 

I'm over Maggs, Lee ect.  However I would be extremely disappointed if Frank was not back with the Sox.  It doesn't matter what circumstances or what spin the club puts on the departure.  I would be saddened more than a normal person should be.  I hope they learn from the Fisk thing.

Seeing that KW is open to Frank coming back made my day.  Mr. Thomas, thank you for the years I've had the pleasure to watch you play.

What a great day to be a Sox fan.

Excellent post. I understand what's been echoed earlier in this thread that no one player is bigger than the team. I totally agree with that, but I'd have a lot of trouble seeing the Sox lose Frank before he's ready to end his career.

We need a Thomas smilie.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
Excellent post.  I understand what's been echoed earlier in this thread that no one player is bigger than the team.  I totally agree with that, but I'd have a lot of trouble seeing the Sox lose Frank before he's ready to end his career.

We need a Thomas smilie.

That pic of Thomas in your sig is awesome.....you can see that is Thomas's swing

Does anyone have a better swing than Frank Focking Thomas? Honestly.... it is amazing how he swings at the ball every time.....just so focking natural and cool

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
He always cries about money ALWAYS. I am not the only one that remembers this i hope?

If you have to "remember" it, then that says he isn't currently crying about money. Nor has he recently. That kind of shoots down your "always" theory.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
That pic of Thomas in your sig is awesome.....you can see that is Thomas's swing

Does anyone have a better swing than Frank Focking Thomas? Honestly.... it is amazing how he swings at the ball every time.....just so focking natural and cool

Ha thanks, I just cut it out of the Big Hurt logo.

bighurtcopy.jpg

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Excellent post.  I understand what's been echoed earlier in this thread that no one player is bigger than the team.  I totally agree with that, but I'd have a lot of trouble seeing the Sox lose Frank before he's ready to end his career.

We need a Thomas smilie.

I'd be devistated if Frank didn't finish his career here but you can't pick up his option because it's bad for the team as a whole. I'm sure they're going to get this done where everyone is happy, I'm just saying I don't want to overpay for Frank just cause he's Frank. Trust me though I want to see him finish his career here as much as you.

When Roger Clemens re-signed with Houston...Houston gave him a huge contract for 1 reason; because even though they're paying him $17 million this season; he brings in more than he's paid just by having him pitch in their ballpark. Or at least enough to pay most of a huge contract.

Combine the wins and the performance, and he virtually pays for himself. That's one reason why the Astros were even willing to resign him this year, and why they were willing to put up with him not traveling with the team, etc.

Let me ask you this...let's say Frank demanded $7 million next year. Let's say the average ticket price for a White Sox game is $25, plus $10 spent on souvenirs, food, etc (clearly an underestimate, especially with those scout seats and the skyboxes).

You've seen Frank hitting absolute bombs these last 2 games. Do you think that Frank getting highlights on Sportscenter that make the guys there absolutely drop their jaws wide open and say "wow" is worth 200,000 tickets in a year? Do you think him hitting his 500th blast in a Sox Uniform would be worth that much over a year?

I think he'd add enough fans to the audience to pay for himself...several times over.

You've seen Frank hitting absolute bombs these last 2 games. Do you think that Frank getting highlights on Sportscenter that make the guys there absolutely drop their jaws wide open and say "wow" is worth 200,000 tickets in a year? Do you think him hitting his 500th blast in a Sox Uniform would be worth that much over a year?

Thats a good point Balta. Plus, I think that you can actually alienate fans and cause negative PR by not bringing him back also. Hopefully the Sox will win it all and bring everybody back for a repeat.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
Thats a good point Balta.  Plus, I think that you can actually alienate fans and cause negative PR by not bringing him back also.  Hopefully the Sox will win it all and bring everybody back for a repeat.

Plus...How many "#35" Jerseys have these last 2 absolute blasts sold?

Hell...my only jersey has no name on the back because I don't want it to become out of date...but I almost want one.

I tell you what...if he's going to be here for a couple more years...then I want a #35 for Christmas.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
Plus...How many "#35" Jerseys have these last 2 absolute blasts sold?

Hell...my only jersey has no name on the back because I don't want it to become out of date...but I almost want one.

I tell you what...if he's going to be here for a couple more years...then I want a #35 for Christmas.

A #35 jersey will never be out of date.