Boone to Minnesota (Official)

Gene Honda Civic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
I think he's saying that Willie Harris is comparable to the crappy 2B's on the Twins.  Like imagine if we didn't have Iguchi and Willie was our starter.

:o I'm slow. Really. The air is f***ed up mor something in my house.... :wacko: :wacko: :blink:

New Twins 2B Bret Boone on being asked to DH or play third base: "I play second base. If someone can play better than me, I want to see it. I don't mean that arrogantly. I came in as a second baseman, and when I leave I'll be a second baseman. When I get to the point in my career when somebody asks me to DH or play third, I'll go home.''

Sounds like he will work out there fine with his unselfish attitude....

"BASEBALL AS A HUMBLER

Hopefully the release of Bret Boone and the demotion of Corey Patterson will be good things for these guys' careers. Sometimes players get too comfortable and/or cocky and need a taste of failure to realize that they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread. In both cases that might be true.

Patterson's case is harder to figure out because when he came to the majors he seemed like a potentially great all-around player. Now he doesn't do anything right anymore. He doesn't field particularly well, he strikes out too much and he doesn't get on base. It seems like he got a little too comfortable in the majors and now the Cubs are telling him that he needs to shape up or be shipped out.

Boone is a little different because he's one of the cockiest people I've ever met. Anybody who has ever met him will attest to the fact that he's cocky as all g't out. Being cut by the Seattle Mariners could be a huge wake-up call. The worst thing that could happen to a player is to get cut by his team because it's the ultimate "you're done" move. This may make him realize that this game is not to be messed around with and will humble him. "

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
"BASEBALL AS A HUMBLER

Hopefully the release of Bret Boone and the demotion of Corey Patterson will be good things for these guys' careers. Sometimes players get too comfortable and/or cocky and need a taste of failure to realize that they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread. In both cases that might be true.

Patterson's case is harder to figure out because when he came to the majors he seemed like a potentially great all-around player. Now he doesn't do anything right anymore. He doesn't field particularly well, he strikes out too much and he doesn't get on base. It seems like he got a little too comfortable in the majors and now the Cubs are telling him that he needs to shape up or be shipped out.

Boone is a little different because he's one of the cockiest people I've ever met. Anybody who has ever met him will attest to the fact that he's cocky as all g't out. Being cut by the Seattle Mariners could be a huge wake-up call. The worst thing that could happen to a player is to get cut by his team because it's the ultimate "you're done" move. This may make him realize that this game is not to be messed around with and will humble him. "

Did you write this, or is this a link?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Boone is better than Willie. Come on.

Boone "Was" better than Willie.

Right now I don't think anyone can even wager a guess as to how good Boone actually is...because we haven't seen how far he's declined from 3 years ago when he was putting up sudden and miraculous numbers.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
My baseball source from Minny just told me he thinks either C Rob Bowen or IF Terry Tiffee could be the PTBNL.

Wow, I thought they were really high on Terry Tiffee. Im thinking Rob Bowen is the guy, the Mariners have been desperate for a C for a few years now.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
Wow, I thought they were really high on Terry Tiffee. Im thinking Rob Bowen is the guy, the Mariners have been desperate for a C for a few years now.

My thoughts exactly. The Mariners are desperate for a catcher and seem to want to groom a youngster.

It makes much, much more sense.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Olivo moves on again?

Ouuuuuuuuuu...very interesting? Ya think?

It would seem the M's are pretty fed up with Miggy, having send him down the minors and all, but I wonder if they would be willing to part with him already. He might be a guy worth waiting for--if for no other reason, defense.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Ouuuuuuuuuu...very interesting?  Ya think?

It would seem the M's are pretty fed up with Miggy, having send him down the minors and all, but I wonder if they would be willing to part with him already.  He might be a guy worth waiting for--if for no other reason, defense.

Im sure the Mariners are happy with their current starters out of the trade, and I doubt they are going to keep waiting for Olivo to figure things out. He really regressed after he left Chicago, which is a shame. I was really excited for Mo at the beginning of last year, and I was really bummed that he was shipped out. But in hindsight, if this is what the Sox talent evaluators saw in Mo, then I really cannot argue his inclusion in the trade.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
Ouuuuuuuuuu...very interesting?  Ya think?

It would seem the M's are pretty fed up with Miggy, having send him down the minors and all, but I wonder if they would be willing to part with him already.  He might be a guy worth waiting for--if for no other reason, defense.

I don't think they will yet. He's back up with the M's, and hit a 3 run homer off Santana on Sunday. He's still got that great arm behind the plate as well.