Feelings on the Hawk

the People's Champ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Thousands of people use 'Hawkisms' every day.  I hardly think he or the sox give  a s*** what you or a few others...(probably a couple hundred or less) think.  He has coined more baseball phrases then most announcers combined.

A lot of things in baseball ARE self induced.  There are good pitchers that jam hitters and there are times hitters swing for something specific and jam themselves.  That is self induced and he says so.  He also says when the oppostion pitcher throws a good pitchers pitch to get a guy out.

He does give Ozzie a lot of credit....not as much as you are hinting at, but he does and guess what....the sox are in first place and have the best record in baseball so it's well deserved.  He usually mentions Ozzie when the team comes back...and he should....The manager is usually in charge of keeping the players in the game and believeing they can overcome any deficit.

The reason he is saying 'stretch stretch' is because it probably isn't a homerun.  It's more like a 50-50 chance. It's gonna be close and he knows it...he's asking for it to get outta there...is that so wrong??  Do you honestly think that because of Hawk saying something, the ball is staying in the park??  Do you want him to say 'stretch' on sure thing homers...so then you can b**** about him saying 'stretch' when it's already going out of the park.  I hear people b**** about that too. 

Fact is, if you don't like him you will find anything to b**** about....if you do like him...you'll overlook things like, where the ball actually lands when it's hit deep and realize he wants it out of there just as much as you do.

Yeah Hawk is biased.  I like it biased, I want it biased. He doesn't point out every single mistake the guys make, but he'll say 'he didn't get the job done right there' 'he didn't take any pitches'  'he had him 0-2 and played around with him and lost em'  He'll point out mistakes...he doesn't call players dumbasses and s***heads when they make a mistake, like the people on this board, but he'll generally point it out. 

Long live the Hawk!! :gosox3:

DJ has gotten better since he started, but I would hardly call him a good color or PBP guy.

i know things are self-induced, but does he really have to say that phrase every single game? i don't think so.

and yes, he does give a ton of credit to ozzie, but its like during the middle of game, trying to slight jerry manuel. that's what i don't like, it's like he does it more to insult jerry than to praise ozzie, real tough guy subtly rippin on him when he's gone.

also, i do believe hawk does curse the hard hit balls cause they look like they're homers easy and then for some reason they die when he says "stretch", look for it.

bias can be good but he goes way too far w/ it.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
I think Hawk is a joke, honestly.  Fans tell me to take him with a grain of salt but not for over 2 hrs for over 100 games a year.  The majority of his calls, I dislike (including He Gone and You can put it on the board).  I think Hawk is just a pull string doll at this point,  Dj pulls the string and Hawk says one of his 15 catchphrases.  During the long stretches of silence, DJ is changing the batteries.  Also, White Sox fans have a reputation of being idiots (obviously, I'm not saying I agree since I am a fan) and Hawk certainly doesn't help that rep out.  I think Hawk would only be good in situations when Berman is good:  2 minutes at a time, once a week.

completely agree, except for the idiot sox fans part.

Edited by thelatinoheat_30

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Oh the strap it on comment was classic. I was dying laughing and my wife, (who was in the other room) couldn't figure out what I thought was so funny during a baseball game.  There was like an 15 second awkward silence right after that. :D  :D

Have you noticed how rapidly that moved into my sig? :headbang

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
Have some of you herd any other baseball annoucers......if you have you would be very thankful we have hawk......

This is really quite true...go pick up the DirecTV Extra Innings package or the MLB.tv package and listen to some of the other announcers. There are a few out there that are really good and give you some interesting chats/conversations/calls (Vin Scully, Tom Brennaman/Mark Grace in Arizona, The Caray kid in Atlanta) but there are a few who are absolutely terrible.

I spent a fair amount of time listening to other announcers over the radio during the world series last year, and the Cardinals guys just have no heart or emotion at all.

We're spoiled by having guys who are actually quite interesting, knowledgeable, fans of the team, and a joy to listen to. That really is rare in announcers. Most are just basically seat fillers. Trust me, if the Sox ever get one of those guys to replace Hawk, we'll really miss him then.

Watching a game called by Hawk is, for me, like watching a game with my grandpa (which I never got to do, as both of my grandfathers passed away before I was old enough to really get into baseball). He brings a good sense of history into the game. He's a colorful, engaging personality. He will give praise where praise is due, and he will criticize those who deserve it (within reason, of course).

I'm glad the Sox have an announcer like Hawk, and I hope he's around for a long time to come.

:gosox1: :gosox3:

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
i know things are self-induced, but does he really have to say that phrase every single game?  i don't think so. 

and yes, he does give a ton of credit to ozzie, but its like during the middle of game, trying to slight jerry manuel.  that's what i don't like, it's like he does it more to insult jerry than to praise ozzie, real tough guy subtly rippin on him when he's gone.

also, i do believe hawk does curse the hard hit balls cause they look like they're homers easy and then for some reason they die when he says "stretch", look for it.

bias can be good but he goes way too far w/ it.

1) He doesn't say it every game...you're exaggerating

2) Manual has been mentioned very few times this year...Hawk isn't out to insult Jerry

3) Curses are for the Northside of town....Hawk does nothing to change the ball flight mid air. It's either gonna go out or its not....I don't give a s*** what Hawk says.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

I've heard most of the other teams announcers and yes, some of them aren't very good. Others are very good. I think Milwaukee has a rather good pair. Now, the difference between Hawk and the other bad announcers is the others are just forgettable, not irritating.

The Padres announcers (Matt Vasgersian and some other guy, don't even know if they're still doing Pads games) used to wait until the Pads were down in the ninth and then "switch into Hawk and Wimpy mode" and openly root for them to score.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I 'spose.

There is nothing wrong with the announcer being a fan. If it was a national telecast that's one thing...but these are the sox announcers.

Just listen to the excitement and passion in Hawk's voice. The only thing better was being there...which I was...but he gives you a pretty good idea what everyone was feeling at the game.

AJ Walk off call

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)

Hawk reading email: Hawk you usually say sit back relax and strap it down. Ditka used to tell his players to strap it up. I'm confused and not sure which way I'm suppose to strap it??

DJ: You can strap it up or down, but whatever you do, don't strap it on.

Hawk: We got another email here.......

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Hawk reading email: Hawk you usually say sit back relax and strap it down. Ditka used to tell his players to strap it up.  I'm confused and not sure which way I'm suppose to strap it??

Hawk:  We got another email here.......

:lolhitting Gotta love the awkward silence lol.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Hawk reading email: Hawk you usually say sit back relax and strap it down. Ditka used to tell his players to strap it up.  I'm confused and not sure which way I'm suppose to strap it??

Hawk:  We got another email here.......

The Hawk's a genius, I tells ya. (I assume you saw my sig)

Definitely a fan of the Hawk. I find Rooney and Farmer (especially) way more irritating. Farmer will repeat the same story day after day. Always casting himself as the tough guy in the situation. I really dislike Rooney's announcer impersonations and both he and Farmer use basically the same joke/cynicism over and over in every situation. Ever hear Farmer read a letter that criticizes him? He'll sarcastically refer to it all game long.

Atlanta's announcers are only good for inducing naps. The Padres announcers are just terrible (at least in Spring Training). The Red Sox radio guys from 2000, seemed to know absoulutely nothing about the White Sox. Not even basic facts.

Give me Hawk and an improving DJ any day.

It all comes down to taste. Some people like Vin Scully because he tells you about the game in pictures. Some people like watching it with a member of the family, like Hawk.

Personally, I like the Hawk-a-roo. He is fun, knowledgable, experienced, not afraid to take a jab at himself, and a fan.

Also, remember, an announcer has to talk to fans of all ages. NOt just knowledgable fans like us, but kids watching with their parents and non-fans that are watching with others.

When I was in Broadcast journalism in college, you have to assume the average education of people watching the news is 8th grade.

One more thing. Please don't tell me that if you had to do that job everyday, you would do it better. A lot of baseball is tedious and monotonous. But when you have a Southern gentleman in the middle of a midwestern city bringing his Hawk-isms into a game, it brightens the broadcast. You don't have to like him, but you should respect him.

HAWK.........YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
It all comes down to taste.  Some people like Vin Scully because he tells you about the game in pictures.  Some people like watching it with a member of the family, like Hawk. 

Personally, I like the Hawk-a-roo.  He is fun, knowledgable, experienced, not afraid to take a jab at himself, and a fan. 

Also, remember, an announcer has to talk to fans of all ages.  NOt just knowledgable fans like us, but kids watching with their parents and non-fans that are watching with others. 

When I was in Broadcast journalism in college, you have to assume the average education of people watching the news is 8th grade. 

One more thing.  Please don't tell me that if you had to do that job everyday, you would do it better.  A lot of baseball is tedious and monotonous.  But when you have a Southern gentleman in the middle of a midwestern city bringing his Hawk-isms into a game, it brightens the broadcast.  You don't have to like him, but you should respect him. 

HAWK.........YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post Dybber. As cheesy as it may sand as as homerich as it may sound, Hawk is one of my inspirations. I, as Dybber did, am planning on taking Broadcasting/Media/Journalism in College and pla non attedning Grand Valey State UNiversity to study there. As a kid, I loved listening to Hawk and Wimpy and now I love listening to Hawk and DJ and aspire to be just like them. I, personally, believe Hawk is the luckiest man on Earth. To be able to interact with the players, watch every single game in VIP, and broadcast on TV and be known to the fans...it wouldonly be an honor. Take it from a kid who doesn;t get the opportunity to go to 50 games a year and really admires every second of baseball, Hawk is the man. :headbang