Feelings on the Hawk

the People's Champ

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
1. bob brenly

2. len kasper

3. chris berman  :ph34r:

1.chip caray

1. bob brenly

2. len kasper

The thing that bothers me about hawk is when the sox are down by like 4 or 5 runs, hawk is nowhere to be heard. He almost goes a half an inning without saying one word. Other than that, LONG LIVE THE HAWK!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loathe him. Being a homer is fine, but everything the Sox do is great and are never bad. If a pitcher shuts the offense down, it's not because the offense did s***, it's because the pitcher owned us. Hawk and DJ never criticize the team and always suck off their collective cocks. Joe Crede is not the best 3B in the last 45 years, Hawk. Willie Harris is not a good defensive 2B, Hawk. Timo is horrible, Hawk. Also no one cares about you playing in Boston with the Carmines, and in the same regard no one cares about DJ playing in Japan. I'll be very glad when both are out of a job.

I remember when Hawk was the color guy for the Sox and Don Drysdale did PBP.

Drysdale was pretty good. I believe that NBC gave him a big contract for Game of the Week on Saturdays.

My fav announcer was Wayne Laravee when he did the Bears games on WGN.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
I loathe him. Being a homer is fine, but everything the Sox do is great and are never bad. If a pitcher shuts the offense down, it's not because the offense did s***, it's because the pitcher owned us. Hawk and DJ never criticize the team and always suck off their collective cocks. Joe Crede is not the best 3B in the last 45 years, Hawk. Willie Harris is not a good defensive 2B, Hawk. Timo is horrible, Hawk. Also no one cares about you playing in Boston with the Carmines, and in the same regard no one cares about DJ playing in Japan. I'll be very glad when both are out of a job.

Of course their never just going to come out and say, for example "Timo Sucks, why is he still on the team" because they would get fired. I assume that they think that, they just don't say it.

I love Hawk as an announcer. I can't imagine watching Sox games w/o him and when the Sox are on ESPN I find the games rather boring. and by the way- Chris Berman is a horrible announcer... BACK BACK BACK BACk, GONE!!!!!! so annoying, I'm glad I worked during the HR derby so I could miss him

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)

What he said, but the complete opposite...

I prefer the commentary of Rooney and Farmer (even though you do get the sound about 1/2 second early that way) over Hawk and DJ, but neither are bad announce teams IMO. If you don't like Hawk, mute the TV, find the closest radio, and listen to Rooney and Farmer. Speaking of broadcasters on ESPN1000, I heard Mac ask on the air for heavethehawk.com to remove his name and their partial quote from their website. Methinks a certain Hawk hating website could be in some legal trouble very soon.

I think for the most part if you are a Sox fan you'll love Hawk, but i'd find it impossible to like Hawk if i was a fan of another team. He's just part of white sox baseball. Sure, he's a huge homer sometimes, but i'm just so used to white sox baseball with him that i couldn't imagine it without him. Hell, i use Hawkisms in every day life without even thinking about it. Like someone said earlier, just take some things with a grain of salt.

And if nothing else, just wait for DJ to say "just don't strap it on" again.

Am i the only one that can't get that out of my head? Probably the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard on air.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
I think for the most part if you are a Sox fan you'll love Hawk, but i'd find it impossible to like Hawk if i was a fan of another team. He's just part of white sox baseball. Sure, he's a huge homer sometimes, but i'm just so used to white sox baseball with him that i couldn't imagine it without him. Hell, i use Hawkisms in every day life without even thinking about it. Like someone said earlier, just take some things with a grain of salt.

Am i the only one that can't get that out of my head? Probably the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard on air.

I used Hawkisms in my daily vocabulary... Everyone around me does. It's great :headbang :gosox3:

I think Hawk is a joke, honestly. Fans tell me to take him with a grain of salt but not for over 2 hrs for over 100 games a year. The majority of his calls, I dislike (including He Gone and You can put it on the board). I think Hawk is just a pull string doll at this point, Dj pulls the string and Hawk says one of his 15 catchphrases. During the long stretches of silence, DJ is changing the batteries. Also, White Sox fans have a reputation of being idiots (obviously, I'm not saying I agree since I am a fan) and Hawk certainly doesn't help that rep out. I think Hawk would only be good in situations when Berman is good: 2 minutes at a time, once a week.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)

Oh the strap it on comment was classic. I was dying laughing and my wife, (who was in the other room) couldn't figure out what I thought was so funny during a baseball game. There was like an 15 second awkward silence right after that. :D :D

QUOTE(TimoandAaron @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
PAT FOLEY is a bit better than the Hawk. 

1 - Foley

2 - Hawk

3 - Bears radio guy.

If you are referring to Jeff Joniak, you might well be referring to the worst announcer in professional sports. This guy has Friday night high school football announcer written all over him. He is HORRIBLE. I would rather listen to the 6th string CBS/Fox announcers than to listen to the "home team call".

Pat Foley is as good as it gets. Professional, passionate, articulate, intelligent, and personable all at the sametime. I love Pat Foley, he is the only thing worth paying attention to with the Hawks right now.

question: why would sox fans have a probably with their announcer being a homer? We get enough of the un-biased announcers everywhere else. Hawk is unique, I'd take that anyday.

coughbandwagonerscough

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
i used to like him, but his stupid repetitive hawkisms are getting annoying.  always talking about "everything is self-induced" and prolly the worst part is when there's a deep fly ball, he always does his "stretch, stretch" call and it RARELY is a homer, maybe 9 out of 10 times he says it, its just an out, it's like a curse, does anyone else notice this?  he also tends to be too much of a homer and thinks he knows everything cause he's been around for 43 years.  and whenever something good happens, he has to mention how ozzie was somehow involved.  and the list goes on and on.

also, does anyone notice how dj does a much better job of technical analysis w/a different partner on sat. games of the week than w/ hawk?  i think that says a lot about hawk.  personally, i'd like to see dj stay(brings some comic relief and solid analysis), hawk can go and bring in steve stone, someone w/ knowledgeable, unbiased analysis.

also, the "put it on the board" is getting kinda old.

I can't really disagree.

Egotistical.

Elitist.

Redundant.

...but, god damn, if I don't love the Hawk-a-roo.

Believe me gang, we are blessed to have announcers the caliber of Hawk and DJ. If you have ever had the "pleasure" of listening to some of the announcers from around the league via the Extra Innings package or MLB.tv, some out there are simply laughable.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
i used to like him, but his stupid repetitive hawkisms are getting annoying.  always talking about "everything is self-induced" and prolly the worst part is when there's a deep fly ball, he always does his "stretch, stretch" call and it RARELY is a homer, maybe 9 out of 10 times he says it, its just an out, it's like a curse, does anyone else notice this?  he also tends to be too much of a homer and thinks he knows everything cause he's been around for 43 years.  and whenever something good happens, he has to mention how ozzie was somehow involved.  and the list goes on and on.

also, does anyone notice how dj does a much better job of technical analysis w/a different partner on sat. games of the week than w/ hawk?  i think that says a lot about hawk.  personally, i'd like to see dj stay(brings some comic relief and solid analysis), hawk can go and bring in steve stone, someone w/ knowledgeable, unbiased analysis.

also, the "put it on the board" is getting kinda old.

Thousands of people use 'Hawkisms' every day. I hardly think he or the sox give a s*** what you or a few others...(probably a couple hundred or less) think. He has coined more baseball phrases then most announcers combined.

A lot of things in baseball ARE self induced. There are good pitchers that jam hitters and there are times hitters swing for something specific and jam themselves. That is self induced and he says so. He also says when the oppostion pitcher throws a good pitchers pitch to get a guy out.

He does give Ozzie a lot of credit....not as much as you are hinting at, but he does and guess what....the sox are in first place and have the best record in baseball so it's well deserved. He usually mentions Ozzie when the team comes back...and he should....The manager is usually in charge of keeping the players in the game and believeing they can overcome any deficit.

The reason he is saying 'stretch stretch' is because it probably isn't a homerun. It's more like a 50-50 chance. It's gonna be close and he knows it...he's asking for it to get outta there...is that so wrong?? Do you honestly think that because of Hawk saying something, the ball is staying in the park?? Do you want him to say 'stretch' on sure thing homers...so then you can b**** about him saying 'stretch' when it's already going out of the park. I hear people b**** about that too.

Fact is, if you don't like him you will find anything to b**** about....if you do like him...you'll overlook things like, where the ball actually lands when it's hit deep and realize he wants it out of there just as much as you do.

Yeah Hawk is biased. I like it biased, I want it biased. He doesn't point out every single mistake the guys make, but he'll say 'he didn't get the job done right there' 'he didn't take any pitches' 'he had him 0-2 and played around with him and lost em' He'll point out mistakes...he doesn't call players dumbasses and s***heads when they make a mistake, like the people on this board, but he'll generally point it out.

Long live the Hawk!! :gosox3:

DJ has gotten better since he started, but I would hardly call him a good color or PBP guy.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

He doesn't point out every single mistake the guys make, but he'll say 'he didn't get the job done right there' 'he didn't take any pitches'  'he had him 0-2 and played around with him and lost em'  He'll point out mistakes...he doesn't call players dumbasses and s***heads when they make a mistake, like the people on this board, but he'll generally point it out. 

Very good point. This aspect of his announcing is overlooked, he criticizes but doesn't go overboard with it. He criticizes quite a bit, it's more muted than his praise but certain guys he is always on their back ... Contreras for one.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Very good point.  This aspect of his announcing is overlooked, he criticizes but doesn't go overboard with it.  He criticizes quite a bit, it's more muted than his praise but certain guys he is always on their back ... Contreras for one.

yeah he said it last week...during the first Oakland game. Something like the sox were on a high after Buehrle, McCarthy and Freddy pitched well in Detroit...they won a close one with Mark and they won on the 13th with Franks homer in the second and had a solid outing from Freddy in the third...and now they are all back on their heals, in the field forever, with Jose walking 7 people, going full with every batter, giving runs away, yada yada yada.

Hawk didn't call Contreras a bum and start preaching trade, but he made his dig and let it go.