Home run Juicer Derby

wallyburger

well, there is very little evidence against Abreu. His career has been consistent, no strange injuries. He hasn't suddenly gotten bigger, he continues to steal bases. The one thing you are citing is his HR Derby performance and that didn't seem aided. He has a smooth swing, it all looked effortless.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
well, there is very little evidence against Abreu.  His career has been consistent, no strange injuries.

Steroids don't cause strange injuries. Unless you mean tumors and such, which are rare. Steroids actualy help a person recover quickly from injuries they sustain.

He hasn't suddenly gotten bigger

Like I said before, I don't think many of us have been watching Abreu since he was in the minors. You wouldn't notice any change in size if he began there and continued. Canseco never went through a body change in the majors and that's because he began in the minors where nobody really paid as much attention.

he continues to steal bases

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. Canseco stole a lot of bases, too. Steroids can make you faster.

He has a smooth swing

Once again, a lot of players have/had smooth swings. McGwire had a smooth swing, but pretty much everyone will agree that he did steroids.

Let me reiterate, I'm not saying that Abreu did do steroids. I'm just saying he could have. The fact that you like a guy doesn't make him innocent.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Let me reiterate, I'm not saying that Abreu did do steroids.  I'm just saying he could have.  The fact that you like a guy doesn't make him innocent.

Since when! I :wub: Barry Bonds!

Abreu was putting some beautiful swings on those pitches last night. He was just locked in. Did you see the graphic for the final round, where they plotted out the flight paths of his homers in that round? They all went to basically the same place. He was being very, very consistent.

I don't see any reason to place steroid suspicion on Abreu based on one good night of home run derby.

Edited by Balance

I'll say this one more time. It is believed by a lot of people that McGwire had one of the sweetest swings in baseball. The fact that someone has a sweet swing does not mean they haven't done steroids.

Another guy with a great swing is Rafael Palmeiro. It's a little suspicious, though, that his homerun totals went up about 10-15 more a year when Jose Canseco was traded to the Rangers.

I was reading the Jennie Finch Sport's IIlustrated last night and it had an article called, "Tom Verducci's All-Bust Team."

1b KMillar "SLG shrunk from .474 to .385 and he's no longer hooking balls over or off the Green Monster." 4HR/12doubles

2b Bret Boone "Liker Millar, has lost pop in his bat." 6HR

3b MLowell "Lowell's slump is mystifyingly long and deep....A legit 25HR guy, he has jit only 3 and driven in 29."

Add Sammy, Thome, etc.

Anyone have any theories?

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
I was reading the Jennie Finch Sport's IIlustrated last night and it had an article called, "Tom Verducci's All-Bust Team."

1b KMillar "SLG shrunk from .474 to .385 and he's no longer hooking balls over or off the Green Monster."  4HR/12doubles

2b Bret Boone "Liker Millar, has lost pop in his bat." 6HR

3b MLowell "Lowell's slump is mystifyingly long and deep....A legit 25HR guy, he has jit only 3 and driven in 29."

Add Sammy, Thome, etc.

Anyone have any theories?

There's a lot more guys you can add to that, including a few from our own team.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Don't be shy.

I've had my doubts about Rowand since last year when he broke out. I also suspected Maggs while he was here, and I heard stories that kept me thinking. And Uribe comes to mind, but that could be skewed by his ridiculous tomahawk swing.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
I wouldn't let Abreu off the hook.  24 homers in the first round?!  Damn, Sosa did less than that and he was dead by the final round...but Abreu hit another 11 in the finals.  That's just too fishy to me.

he took at least 1 pitch between swings, plus he's probably got more stamina than Sosa ever did. remember, if Sosa took steroids, he wouldn't have to work out as long to get the muscles, so he's all power, no stamina.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
he took at least 1 pitch between swings, plus he's probably got more stamina than Sosa ever did.  remember, if Sosa took steroids, he wouldn't have to work out as long to get the muscles, so he's all power, no stamina.

Steroids give you the stamina to work out longer and get you better results from that exercise.

I say it every time I see steroid speculation on this board. The players themselves suspected. I remember hearing that Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz would sit on the bench and guess who was taking steroids.

Players had every opportunity to get steroids out of the game, but they didn't do it. Therefore, fans have every right to speculate and call into question any numbers that have been put up in the last 20 years.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Steroids give you the stamina to work out longer and get you better results from that exercise.

they still give you more for less. one could take 'roids and just sit around and gain some muscle.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
they still give you more for less.  one could take 'roids and just sit around and gain some muscle.

No, that's really not how steroids work. I don't think you know what you're talking about. If you take steroids and sit around, you become a fat waste. If you take steroids and work out, you can work out long than you ever could, and your results are much better. I've done a lot of studying about steroids.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
I've had my doubts about Rowand since last year when he broke out.  I also suspected Maggs while he was here, and I heard stories that kept me thinking.  And Uribe comes to mind, but that could be skewed by his ridiculous tomahawk swing.

Without posting personal information I can tell you without a doubt Aaron has never juiced. I heard rumors about Maggs his entire time here. No idea about Juan.

And Frank absolutely never juiced. A medical issue in his family where he donated bone marrow would have not been possible if he juiced.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Did you see Sammy when he got called up?  He was scrawny.

Same with Mark. Both of them were tiny runts. Their roid use is obvious. Bobby is mushy big. If he's on roids.. he better get a refund cause they aint working. IMO.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
And Frank absolutely never juiced. A medical issue in his family where he donated bone marrow would have not been possible if he juiced.

I've never insinuated that Frank did steroids. About the other guys, I'm just making a point that players aren't clean just because someone likes them.

Also, I'll take your word for Aaron.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Same with Mark. Both of them were tiny runts. Their roid use is obvious. Bobby is mushy big. If he's on roids.. he better get a refund cause they aint working. IMO.

Ah, but Giambi was also mushy big. It all depends on the way you use the steroid. Giambi's case was gross misuse and overuse of the drug.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
No, that's really not how steroids work.  I don't think you know what you're talking about.  If you take steroids and sit around, you become a fat waste.  If you take steroids and work out, you can work out long than you ever could, and your results are much better.  I've done a lot of studying about steroids.

it's just extra testosterone, which is converted to muscle, and working out enhances the effects. you make steroids sound like metabolife or ephedrine (sp?), which give you more stamina to work out longer.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Ah, but Giambi was also mushy big.  It all depends on the way you use the steroid.  Giambi's case was gross misuse and overuse of the drug.

He was..??? Giambi's arms, legs, and stomach were rock hard and his face turned into a pumpkin shape. Bobby is fat. In ST he was even a bit jiggly. The guy, IMO, from seeing him up close is just a monster, much like Frank. Frank when he didn't work out got "jiggly" but didn't "shrink" like Sosa and Mark have.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
He was..??? Giambi's arms, legs, and stomach were rock hard and his face turned into a pumpkin shape. Bobby is fat. In ST he was even a bit jiggly. The guy, IMO, from seeing him up close is just a monster, much like Frank. Frank when he didn't work out got "jiggly" but didn't "shrink" like Sosa and Mark have.

All of the accounts I read said that Giambi's face got a bit pudgy from the extra fluids being trapped under the skin. This is supposed to be due to the misuse of whatever steroid he was using. His muscles were rock hard, of course, but he had that layer of fluid.

it's just extra testosterone, which is converted to muscle, and working out enhances the effects. you make steroids sound like metabolife or ephedrine (sp?), which give you more stamina to work out longer.

There are a hundred different kind of steroids, so maybe some do just what you said. Many of the details I've read say that stamina also increases. Unless you mean that testosterone shots are taken, because most steroids are taken in conjunction with another drug.