The Duke (eh?)

Kyyle23

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
i still think that if a starter goes down we deserve to give neal cotts a chance to start, but then again we don't want to hurt his confidence.

Neal cannot start.

He is NOT an option.

His arm is not streched out to go 5-6+ innnings.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Yep offensive explosions are definitely atypical for a team that is top 10 in the bigs in runs scored.

Do you know what the f*** a 5th starter is supposed to do?

Throw hanging breaking ball after hanging breaking ball? Also, WHarris1, 6 IP 4 ER is a 6.00 ERA.

1) Hernandez was making his first start in a few weeks on a night when the ball was FLYING out of the park. Under those circumstances, he did fine. Don't look at him as a 5th starter, think playoffs. They won't be using 5 starters come playoff time, and you better believe a guy with his postseason track record(in NY, no less) is going to get one of those slots if he's healthy. I'd rather have him than 100% of #4 starters in MLB, especially in a playoff series.

2) Cotts won't ever be a starter because he only has 2 pitches, and neither of them are dominant. Same would go for Adkins

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
1) Hernandez was making his first start in a few weeks on a night when the ball was FLYING out of the park.  Under those circumstances, he did fine.  Don't look at him as a 5th starter, think playoffs.  They won't be using 5 starters come playoff time, and you better believe a guy with his postseason track record(in NY, no less) is going to get one of those slots if he's healthy.  I'd rather have him than 100% of #4 starters in MLB, especially in a playoff series.

2)  Cotts won't ever be a starter because he only has 2 pitches, and neither of them are dominant.  Same would go for Adkins

you think el duque would start over buehrle, garland, garcia, or contreras?

I say hello middle relief when post season comes, you dont bench an arm like one of those.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
I distinctly recall somebody on the radio pointing out that it was our first 5 run inning since Game 3 vs Arizona, where we scored 10 runs in an inning.

This team puts up 2-spots, 3-spots, 1-spots, often many times in the same game. Unlike some of our pitchers, it doesn't really do "big innings", its more of a consistent attack type thing.

The thing is, when it takes 2-3 innings for you to score 5 or more times, it's harder to do that near the end of a game, because you're up against time.

And that's exactly why we need a lockdown BP, so that we don't find ourselves in that position.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
you think el duque would start over buehrle, garland, garcia, or contreras?

I say hello middle relief when post season comes, you dont bench an arm like one of those.

Contreras won't see the field if Hernandez is healthy. Garland isn't exactly a rock at this point either.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Contreras won't see the field if Hernandez is healthy.  Garland isn't exactly a rock at this point either.

contreras... maybe, to even argue the thought of garland not starting would be ridiculous. the man has 14 wins already and has earned his spot in the rotation for the playoffs. especially over a guy with a 5 ERA.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
What?  Then who is?  Garland has been just fine.

Ah, what fine long-term memories you people possess.

HAs he earned the right to start? Absolutely. Will he start? Definitely. If I had to bet my money on either a playoff game that Garland starts vs. one that El Duque starts do I bet on Garland's game? Nope, not a chance.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

HAs he earned the right to start? Absolutely.  Will he start?  Definitely.  If I had to bet my money on either a playoff game that Garland starts vs. one that El Duque starts do I bet on Garland's game?  Nope, not a chance.

By God, I'd bet on Garland over Hernandez. Does the expression "That was then, this is now" mean anything to you?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
By God, I'd bet on Garland over Hernandez. Does the expression "That was then, this is now" mean anything to you?

"What have you done for me lately..."

The Chicago White Sox Motto.. ;)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)

Because Garland wasn't known as a mental case before this season?

This means something:

ERA W-L IP hits ER BB K

2.65 9-3 0 0 0 102.0 76 30 51 101

They'll both start, so I hope we're both right :cheers

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
"What have you done for me lately..."

The Chicago White Sox Motto..  ;)

Hell Steff, Garland's been a stud this year and hernandez has been ... ummm .. something less. El Duque has proven himself as big game pitcher, without a doubt, but I'd still prefer Jon in a must win situation.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

HAs he earned the right to start? Absolutely.  Will he start?  Definitely.  If I had to bet my money on either a playoff game that Garland starts vs. one that El Duque starts do I bet on Garland's game?  Nope, not a chance.

So by your logic we should discount all performances this year by either player, and only look at their past performance? Now thats funny Wong.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Hell Steff, Garland's been a stud this year and hernandez has been ... ummm .. something less.  El Duque has proven himself as big game pitcher, without a doubt, but I'd still prefer Jon in a must win situation.

Ummm... :unsure: OK.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
So by your logic we should discount all performances this year by either player, and only look at their past performance?  Now thats funny Wong.

I'm not discounting what's going on this year at all. But as the saying goes, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Because Garland wasn't known as a mental case before this season?

This means something:

ERA  W-L              IP    hits ER  BB  K

2.65  9-3 0  0 0 102.0  76 30 51 101

They'll both start, so I hope we're both right  :cheers

I just believe, that after these four long years, Jon has figured it out and has become the pitcher we all hoped he'd become. In a "win or go home" game, I'd give the ball to Garland over Hernandez.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
I just believe, that after these four long years, Jon has figured it out and has become the pitcher we all hoped he'd become. In a "win or go home" game, I'd give the ball to Garland over Hernandez.

I completely agree with you on the first part--but the playoffs is a different animal. I'd rather go with someone who's proven they can get it done in a playoff situation, over someone that hasn't. The same rule applies to Buehrle, but I trust Buehrle--i don't trust Garland.

If we're both right, that's 2 Sox playoff victories, and that's a good thing

Its not that hard to figure out people. El Duque will get A start in the playoffs, because he is the best playoff performer on the team. The other three slots go to Freddy MB and Garland. Thats it, game over. If El Duque Falters, then the Count gets a shot. Maybe even splitting innings, who knows. BUt as of right now, that is exactly what Ozzie is thinking.