Ponson for Nevin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Story:

The Baltimore Orioles on Saturday traded right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to San Diego for first baseman Phil Nevin, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

With Ponson moving to the Padres, the Orioles deal to acquire Florida Marlins right-hander A.J. Burnett has been shelved.

A three-way deal with the Orioles and Texas Rangers, which would have sent Burnett to Baltimore, was "killed" by the Orioles this weekend, according to a baseball man familiar with the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. So the Marlins are believed to have broken off talks with Baltimore, at least for now, and are back to focusing on offers by the Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.

Lowell, who is batting a disappointing .230 with just four homers and 39 RBI, is owed about $21 million through 2007.

Ponson was moved to San Diego once he refused a trade to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for left-handed reliever Trever Miller.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Wow, instead of getting a lefty reliever in T. Miller, the Orioles get Phil Nevin instead.  Pretty good trade for the Orioles if you ask me.

If you consider making their pitching even worse to be good. I know Ponson isn't good, but they have absolutely no pitching. They're now just trying to slug their way into the playoffs with Nevin. They're the Texas Rangers of the AL East now. That just doesn't work.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
Brandon McCarthy......your plane is waiting to go to Florida.

I hope so...

Any news on the Red Sox and what theyre doin? Heh, it would be great to get this deal done today and have Burnett start vs. the Red Sox Sunday, but that better be because we move Contreras back in the rotation, not trade him.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
If you consider making their pitching even worse to be good.  I know Ponson isn't good, but they have absolutely no pitching.  They're now just trying to slug their way into the playoffs with Nevin.  They're the Texas Rangers of the AL East now.  That just doesn't work.

Getting rid of Ponson helps your pitching not hurt it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
If you consider making their pitching even worse to be good.  I know Ponson isn't good, but they have absolutely no pitching.  They're now just trying to slug their way into the playoffs with Nevin.  They're the Texas Rangers of the AL East now.  That just doesn't work.

who says their done trading?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)

Orioles will acquire a starting pitcher, I can guarantee you that. Ponson was a disaster for the Orioles, so I'm sure their fans won't shed a tear about him leaving.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
who says their done trading?

There you go, I'm thinking the same thing. Either Nevin gets flipped soon, or another Oriole whose position Nevin can play gets shipped. Otherwise, this was a pointless move by the O's

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
yea that would be KILLER if we got Burnett and Mcarthey took off to FL

It would be better if we got AJB, and kept McCarthy. Actually, I'm all for not acquiring AJB at all. I still have my doubts that we'll be able to resign him if we get him.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
There you go, I'm thinking the same thing.  Either Nevin gets flipped soon, or another Oriole whose position Nevin can play gets shipped.  Otherwise, this was a pointless move by the O's

well i'm guessing palmeiro will move to DH.

who was their DH before?

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
forget the Arm Problem and go after a real pitcher.

The irony of this post is that both Perez's have spent time on the dl this year. Oh yeah, Oliver isn't going anywhere, people got to get that out of their heads.