Badmouthing Cellular and the Whitesox

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
NYC is 3 times the size of Chicago.  Anaheim is in LA like South Bend is in Chicago.  Plus both LA and NYC have metro areas that are way larger than Chicago.  Chicago is the smallest multiteam city in MLB.

The Cubs are #6.

Better team?

Beter stadium?

Better transportation?

Better fans?

The geographic split in LA is similar to Chicago. One side travels to the Angels, the other to the Dodgers. Still close enough. The Dodgers do have a built in advanatage.

You still can't argue with his point about attendance at both parks. But shame on him for saying it?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
I was switching channels yesterday and caught around the horn. The topic was the best team in the AL. Of course, Mariotti chose the Angels, the guy from Denver ruffled his ESPN bosses feathers with his proclamation that the White Sox would go all the way. Calishaw, I think his name is, will probably be suspended for saying the White Sox. And Plashke said it was the Angels, and took it to another level saying the Angels are privately saying they want to play the White Sox in the first round, thinking they will destroy them due to lack of playoff experience vs. the playoff tested Angels. Of course he didn't mention most of the Angels had no playoff experience when they won the World Series a few years ago. It used to make me mad, but now I just laugh. When the White Sox win it all watch how many of these guys claimed they saw it all along.

I saw this too. The guy who was loving the Sox was holding his ground pretty well

too. He kept saying that no one is picking the Sox, but they keep rolling. :headbang :headbang

I heard it and it wasn't as bad as reported. He attended the Cards game the day before and if anyone hasn't been to a Cards game, it is intense. They really rock their park. Heading to the Cell during a bad game won't compare.

He complained that the Cell was sterile and without personality. The same rap we've been hearing for years.

He pointed out we have exactly zero .300 hitters and rank almost last in team average. Can't argue with that factoid. He mentioned Pods has zero home runs and 18 rbis. Not certain why that was a big deal.

He stated Ozzie should be Manager of the Year. Right now, don't even vote. He's making it happen.

The one complaint I was puzzled by is he didn't like the food at the Cell and called it generic with hot dogs and pizza. He was looking for ribs or some Chicago specialties. Has the menus changed since last year?

I also think that you have to take into effect, who was playing who. Although it was a great matchup between the World Champs and the "Next" World Champs, there is no rivalry there, and it was the Flubs and the Cards, one of the biggest rivalries in sports.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
If it was Eric Castillias then it makes sense.  He is a no nothing blowhard who jerks it to the red sawx and their dump of a stadium.  Sorry we dont blow our loads when a popup to the 2nd baseman happens like the bosawx fans.  OH MY GAWD MILLLLLLAAAHHHH,  HE HE JUST MISSED IT.  And Gooch goes back 2 feet near the outfield grass to record the out.

If he attended the bosox chisox game he may have objected to the odor but the smell went away when bosox fans left :cheers

what was stupid was that he compaired our stadium to Busch stadium (cardinals) and said there was "little atmosphere in chicago with the world champs in town."

My response to that is Cardinals-Cubs is one of baseball biggest rivalries. Red Sox- White Sox is really in some aspects lame. But I guess that east-coast bias shows when all you do is countdown to when the red sox-yankees will play next.