What beer makes you believe in God?

Kid Gleason

What Beer Makes You Believe God Exists?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What Beer Makes You Believe God Exists?

• Guinness (or a Stout, but explain which)
    • Budweiser (any)
    • Miller (any)
    • Westvleteren
    • Stone Arrogant Bastard
    • North Coast Rasputin Imperial Stout
    • Chimay Blue (or white or red...if you must)
    • Great Lakes Burning River
    • Root Beer, Ginger Beer, or Birch Beer
    • Other...not listed...tell me...

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
I'd have to say Arrogant Bastard is out of the running simply because it has SATAN on the label.  Stone brews gorgeous stuff though.

Funny you mentioned Arrogant Bastard. Satan or no satan, that stuff is heavenly. It was the drink of choice for my bro (Thomsonmi) and I after the games in Colorado over at the Falling Rock Tap House.

http://www.fallingrocktaphouse.com/

Unfortunately, they didn't have the Double Bastard on tap during that series.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I actually find the Arrogant to be superior to Double.

Jim...lay off my Mom.  :P  :lolhitting

Devil made me do it. :ph34r:

Kid or KevHead, did you ever encounter a beer called Alimony Ale when it was still in production? It was a landmark beer from American micro pioneer Buffalo Bill Owens, who's brewery was as instrumental in the micro revolution as New Albion or Sierra Nevada or Anchor. It was way ahead of its time in that it was a massively high alpha hophead beer long before the days of the double IPA. At the time, only Bigfoot gave it a run for it's money in the bitterness category.

The label had a great old Thomas Nast cartoon on it, and the beer's tagline was "bitterest beer in America," which explained why they called it Alimony Ale.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I actually find the Arrogant to be superior to Double.

Jim...lay off my Mom.  :P  :lolhitting

Devil made me do it. :ph34r:

Kid or KevHead, did you ever encounter a beer called Alimony Ale when it was still in production? It was a landmark beer from American micro pioneer Buffalo Bill Owens, who's brewery was as instrumental in the micro revolution as New Albion or Sierra Nevada or Anchor. It was way ahead of its time in that it was a massively high alpha hophead beer long before the days of the double IPA. At the time, only Bigfoot gave it a run for it's money in the bitterness category.

The label had a great old Thomas Nast cartoon on it, and the beer's tagline was "bitterest beer in America," which explained why they called it Alimony Ale.

Nice to see others who enjoy great beer. I chose Westy b/c, quite frankly, all 3 of their offerings are heavenly. I recently did a tasting of the Westy 8, 12, and Blonde...in proper glassware of course, and it was truly amazing.

I tasted the Westy 12 back-to-back with a Rochefort 10 b/c I had a feeling I actually liked the Rochefort better. WRONG! The Westy was so nice and so complex and just so damn good.

As for the other Trappists, I have to say Orval is a favorite of mine. So unique. I find Westmalle to be the most bland of the 6...I describe it as a "base Trappist" from which 4 of the others basically tweak to make something special. I like the Chimay Grand Reserve...but it's so commercialized, which bothers me a little. And the Achel is the most difficult to find outside of a Westy...but the Double Brun is especially nice.

As for the Arrogant Bastard...I was not nearly as impressed with it as I was the Double Bastard, which was phenomenal. Someone mentioned a Peach Morte Subite. I don;t do the fruit flavored thing, but I had a few Morte Subites when I was in Brussels last year and they were fantastic.

Another lesser known Belgian that you can get in the States for $2.99 a bottle is Vondel. It's a Flemish Brown Ale and is fantastic.

And of course, nothing beats a geuze. I love a good geuze more than anything.

Also, if anyone ever wanted to do a tasting, let me know. I have proper glassware for many different Belgians and am always up for a tasting. Finally, if you want something in a Belgian style, with a bit of a twist, try one of the 6 offerings from Jolly Pumpkin. It's a tiny brewery in Dexter, MI. Had the opportunity to meet with the brewmaster up there several weeks ago. Great guy who makes fantastic beer.

Cheers!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Anyone drink Heineken??? Most of my family members that do drink beer, family friends as well, all LOVE Heineken....

IMO, Heineken is one of the beers that just loses a lot in export. Same with Grolsch. When I lived in The Netherlands, a Grolsch was often the beer of choice. Over here, it generally tastes like piss b/c the beer wasn't treated properly in export. Happens to Heineken a lot, too. Oh well.

I love the Arrogant Bastard. My favorite beers tend to be IPA's and the Stone IPA is fantastic. The best beers in the country though are brewed at the Pizza Port breweries on the beaches of Carlsbad, San Clemente, and Solana Beach in California.

The Wipeout IPA at Carlsbad is amazing. The Doheny Double IPA at San Clemente is a hop gem that won a GOLD MEDAL at the 2004 Great AMerican Beer Festival!

These places are fantastic actually. Picnic benches set up in huge rooms with great pizza and not only do they make great beer but they always have on tap the other great beers brewed in California.

Edited by thomsonmi

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
IMO, Heineken is one of the beers that just loses a lot in export.  Same with Grolsch.  When I lived in The Netherlands, a Grolsch was often the beer of choice.  Over here, it generally tastes like piss b/c the beer wasn't treated properly in export.  Happens to Heineken a lot, too.  Oh well.

I agree. I love a good Heinie, but that and Rolling Rock I get more skunky bottles of for some reason or another.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
IMO, Heineken is one of the beers that just loses a lot in export.  Same with Grolsch.  When I lived in The Netherlands, a Grolsch was often the beer of choice.  Over here, it generally tastes like piss b/c the beer wasn't treated properly in export.  Happens to Heineken a lot, too.  Oh well.

Just wondering. I am underrage and was just curious as to why so many damn people drink that s***. Every guest that comes over our house: "Got any Heineken?" :lolhitting

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Devil made me do it.  :ph34r:

Kid or KevHead, did you ever encounter a beer called Alimony Ale when it was still in production?  It was a landmark beer from American micro pioneer Buffalo Bill Owens, who's brewery was as instrumental in the micro revolution as New Albion or Sierra Nevada or Anchor.  It was way ahead of its time in that it was a massively high alpha hophead beer long before the days of the double IPA.  At the time, only Bigfoot gave it a run for it's money in the bitterness category.

Unfortunately, my beer drinking experience only extends back to 4 or 5 years ago. But from the sounds of it, I really missed out on the Alimony. Found the label you were talking about though.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Unfortunately, my beer drinking experience only extends back to 4 or 5 years ago.  But from the sounds of it, I really missed out on the Alimony.  Found the label you were talking about though.

I've never had the pleasure of drinking this either. To bad because I crave IPAs.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Just wondering. I am underrage and was just curious as to why so many damn people drink that s***. Every guest that comes over our house: "Got any Heineken?" :lolhitting

Because it's marketed so well. A lot of people drink it thinking they are drinking "good beer." I believe it was the number one import in the US for a while until Corona took that spot. Again, Corona is nice every so often, but is not "good beer" as many would lead you to believe. I may need to hide now, as I know the President of Barton, which imports Corona into half of the US. :ph34r:

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Because it's marketed so well.  A lot of people drink it thinking they are drinking "good beer."  I believe it was the number one import in the US for a while until Corona took that spot.  Again, Corona is nice every so often, but is not "good beer" as many would lead you to believe.  I may need to hide now, as I know the President of Barton, which imports Corona into half of the US. :ph34r:

Yeah, the Mexicans seem to think Corona is holy juice.... :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
I agree.  I love a good Heinie, but that and Rolling Rock I get more skunky bottles of for some reason or another.

It's the green bottles. Completely true. They don'y block UV rays and the UV causes a beer to be "light struck". The skunky taste is a bunch of chemical reactions as a result of being light struck, most notable the production of dimethyl sulfate (DMS), which is the Green Giant Niblets corn gone bad taste in a severely light struk bottle of Rolling Rock.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Because it's marketed so well.  A lot of people drink it thinking they are drinking "good beer."  I believe it was the number one import in the US for a while until Corona took that spot.  Again, Corona is nice every so often, but is not "good beer" as many would lead you to believe.  I may need to hide now, as I know the President of Barton, which imports Corona into half of the US. :ph34r:

I don't get what people taste in Corona. That is one beer I cannot stand. Give me a Dos Equis anyday.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
I'll throw in here since I happen to live in a haven for breweries that one of our local brewers at a place called Southern Sun just tapped a new IPA that is comparable to the Stone and Pizza Port IPAs.

I think you'd be remissed if you didn't bring up the Rocky Mountain BrewFest, held in Estes Park, CO. I'm assuming that I missed that already, right?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
It's the green bottles.  Completely true.  They don'y block UV rays and the UV causes a beer to be "light struck".  The skunky taste is a bunch of chemical reactions as a result of being light struck, most notable the production of dimethyl sulfate (DMS), which is the Green Giant Niblets corn gone bad taste in a severely light struk bottle of Rolling Rock.

Huh, you learn something new everyday. Thank God for this thread :cheers