Rafael Palmeiro

Pods70Rowand33

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I read a few interesting things in the paper today.

Creatine is banned by MLB, wow didn't know that.

Mark B. said Sox players bring in any supplement to the training staff for analysis before they take anything.  He said since so many things can make a test go positive, they just analize everything first.  He thinks Raffy is clean, FWIW.

I guess some over the counter supplements contain very low levels of steroids that are not listed on the labels but would show up on a test.

I'm sure he "believes" it. Nobody that's still in baseball is going to say "he is definitely on steroids." They just gotta come off well.

On another note, my boss told me yesterday that one of his friends does a lot of research into Mickey Mantle. This guy also reads any book that has anything to do with Mickey that he can find. Apparently, when Mantle was a teenager, he broke his leg (maybe he said arm?). The doctors offered him penicillin or a steroid, and he took the steroid. I have a tough time believing that Mantle was on steroids, but I guess a few people believe it and it somewhat makes sense. Plus, Mantle died because of a bad liver. And yes, I know he was a drunk. Just throwing it out there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
I'm sure he "believes" it.  Nobody that's still in baseball is going to say "he is definitely on steroids."  They just gotta come off well.

On another note, my boss told me yesterday that one of his friends does a lot of research into Mickey Mantle.  This guy also reads any book that has anything to do with Mickey that he can find.  Apparently, when Mantle was a teenager, he broke his leg (maybe he said arm?).  The doctors offered him penicillin or a steroid, and he took the steroid.  I have a tough time believing that Mantle was on steroids, but I guess a few people believe it and it somewhat makes sense.  Plus, Mantle died because of a bad liver.  And yes, I know he was a drunk.  Just throwing it out there.

He could not have said anything at all. :huh

Interesting, I wonder if it was an anabolic steroid. I also wonder how long he was on them.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
He could not have said anything at all. :huh

Interesting, I wonder if it was an anabolic steroid. I also wonder how long he was on them.

That's true. I don't know why he said anything, to tell the truth.

I'll have to ask my boss about more details. It might be a while, though, since he's usually busy or downtown.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
That's true.  I don't know why he said anything, to tell the truth.

I'll have to ask my boss about more details.  It might be a while, though, since he's usually busy or downtown.

When Mantle was a teen, they didn't know a helluva lot about steroids. And, from your story, if he was on them they were prescribed by a doctor.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
When Mantle was a teen, they didn't know a helluva lot about steroids.  And, from your story, if he was on them they were prescribed by a doctor.

Like I said, my boss told me this story and he was told by his friend who supposedly knows a lot about it. I have no idea what he was taking or anything, but the steroid could help him, whether or not it was prescribed by a doctor.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Like I said, my boss told me this story and he was told by his friend who supposedly knows a lot about it.  I have no idea what he was taking or anything, but the steroid could help him, whether or not it was prescribed by a doctor.

Sure it could. We know that now.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
I didn't say that Mantle was an outright cheater.  All I said is that there might be a good chance he used steroids.  He could've been cheating without even knowing it.

I wasn't trying to imply that you were saying that. I'm just pointing out that it was an entirely different era when a lot of things know today weren't known then. I'm still inclined to believe his strong wrists and hands came from him growing up having to milk cows everyday. But that's just me.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I wasn't trying to imply that you were saying that.  I'm just pointing out that it was an entirely different era when a lot of things know today weren't known then.  I'm still inclined to believe his strong wrists and hands came from him growing up having to milk cows everyday.  But that's just me.

I'd like to believe he didn't use them, too. But then I'd just be a hypocrite. If he was on steroids, which he seems to have been, he's a cheater in my eyes whether he knew it or not.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I'd like to believe he didn't use them, too.  But then I'd just be a hypocrite.  If he was on steroids, which he seems to have been, he's a cheater in my eyes whether he knew it or not.

I think the word cheat or cheating implies that you do it knowingly, no? Might it have given him an unfair advantage? Maybe. If he didn't know it would, can I call him a cheater? No.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I'd like to believe he didn't use them, too.  But then I'd just be a hypocrite.  If he was on steroids, which he seems to have been, he's a cheater in my eyes whether he knew it or not.

Now I totally disagree with that. How can you break a rule that doesn't exist at the time?

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Then so far, only seven major leaguers have broken the steroid rule.  All the others that we speculate/know about did so before the rules were in place.

Ok .. let me rephrase that. How can you break a law before that doesn't exist?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Now I totally disagree with that. How can you break a rule that doesn't exist at the time?

That's just my opinion. It might not follow the exact definition of cheating, but my definition is a little more loose.

Doctors prescribe steroids all the time. There's a difference between using them to treat an injury and cycling them for the bulk of your baseball career.

From the way he said it, it sounds like he continues using them for a while.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
That's just my opinion.  It might not follow the exact definition of cheating, but my definition is a little more loose.

From the way he said it, it sounds like he continues using them for a while.

I'll say it's loose. It's also totally moronic. But hey, to each his own.