Ryan Franklin

Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Who's the next big name player to test positive?

capt.oas10607312233.tigers_athletics_oas :huh

Pudge won't test positive. You know why? Because he's off of steroids now. The guy lost 30 pounds in the offseason and his power numbers have, let's say, diminished.

A guy would still have to be on steroids to test positive.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
I'll tell you what .. the very last thing we need is for this to happen to a Sox player.  Don't be too smug about this issue.

I'm still sitting here hoping that through all this, with the exception of 1 or 2 notable guys who are no longer with our team, the guys who make up our roster have seemed to be clean to me.

If nothing else...there was at least 1 big presence in our locker room the past decade who was quite outspoken against their use.

I'd say that IRod would be next. Depends on how recently he's taken them.

It is becoming increasingly evident that everybody that was outed in Canseco's book were indeed users. The latest news on Palmiero only gives me more reason to believe that Jose wasn't lying about IRod either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I'm still sitting here hoping that through all this, with the exception of 1 or 2 notable guys who are no longer with our team, the guys who make up our roster have seemed to be clean to me.

If nothing else...there was at least 1 big presence in our locker room the past decade who was quite outspoken against their use.

Let's hope his presence was/is enough.

Steroids aren't the only answer for players getting busted by the new policy. For Bears fans, I'm sure you all remember Jim Miller getting suspended 4 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse program. He never took steroids, but there was a banned substance in the suppliment he was taking that made him fail the drug test. I'm not sure about what substances are banned by major league baseball, but I'd say that there's a good possibility that Palmiero and Franklin could have a similar case as Jim Miller.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
I'll tell you what .. the very last thing we need is for this to happen to a Sox player.  Don't be too smug about this issue.

I agree. Just cross your fingers, that they know what they're putting in their bodies.

Palmeiro insisted that he didn't know how steroids got into his system, and Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski said with so many dietary supplements available, an honest mistake can be made. But the Sox have precautions in place to avoid such mistakes.

''That's one thing that we try to address here,'' Pierzynski said. ''You don't know what's in supplements. You have to be real careful. If anyone takes anything, the first person to see it is [director of conditioning] Allen Thomas. They can do tests on it to see if it was clean. That's something we have to keep an eye on.''

Buehrle also wanted to believe in Palmeiro.

''It's bad for him and bad for the team,'' Buehrle said. ''There's so much stuff out there that guys can get busted on that don't say steroids. Guys can take creatine, protein shakes and the stuff like that that is illegal, and you don't know that. It might not say it on the label.''

Buehrle used his own logic to deduce that Palmeiro was clean.

''I don't know him, and I don't know what he has been taking,'' Buehrle said. ''But personally, I don't think he's taken anything illegal. I don't think he's taken steroids. He's one of those guys you don't notice a size difference on. Guys on steroids, when they get off them, they are a little bit smaller. But he looks the same to me the five years I've been in the big leagues.''

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)

Ya never know. Until a positive test comes up, I'll assume that all our guys are clean. But, since there has been a bunch of cases of steroid use from guys who you'd never expect, I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Steroids aren't the only answer for players getting busted by the new policy.  For Bears fans, I'm sure you all remember Jim Miller getting suspended 4 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse program.  He never took steroids, but there was a banned substance in the suppliment he was taking that made him fail the drug test.  I'm not sure about what substances are banned by major league baseball, but I'd say that there's a good possibility that Palmiero and Franklin could have a similar case as Jim Miller.

MLB has said they have tested postive for Steroids.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Steroids aren't the only answer for players getting busted by the new policy.  For Bears fans, I'm sure you all remember Jim Miller getting suspended 4 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse program.  He never took steroids, but there was a banned substance in the suppliment he was taking that made him fail the drug test.  I'm not sure about what substances are banned by major league baseball, but I'd say that there's a good possibility that Palmiero and Franklin could have a similar case as Jim Miller.

Palmeiro admitted that it was a steroid. He just "didn't know" how it got into his body.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
MLB has said they have tested postive for Steroids.

Yah, I think these are pretty specific tests. What these tests are looking for, I don't think you can get out of something you bought at a GNC. I may be wrong though.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Yah, I think these are pretty specific tests.  What these tests are looking for, I don't think you can get out of something you bought at a GNC.  I may be wrong though.

Does anyone here know what's on the banned substances list?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
Yah, I think these are pretty specific tests.  What these tests are looking for, I don't think you can get out of something you bought at a GNC.  I may be wrong though.

I'd bet there's stuff you can buy at Walgreen's that would get you. But these guys make oodles and gobs of money and have every resource available to them. No excuses.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
Does anyone here know what's on the banned substances list?

that's a good question, i also wish someone would ask palmeiro to see exactly what he is taking, and if it is something on the bottle from gnc then we know it was that if he doesnt have anything like that we know he is full of s***

Edited by soxhawks

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
that's a good question, i also wish someone would ask palmeiro to see exactly what he is taking, and if it is something on the bottle from gnc then we know it was that if he doesnt have anything like that we know he is full of s***

Mike Greenberg was singing that song on the radio this morning.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
i didnt hear that i do think it is a good idea though

Greenie's main point was that Palmeiro was saying that he 'couldn't" elaborate on the details, yet the rules about divulging that type of info are in place only to protect the player. Then he had some lawyer on there that said there is nothing preventing RP from standing up and saying exactly what happened ... other than Raffy himself.

Well, I'm having trouble finding a list of all the banned substances, but this article offers a few:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/bal-raf...la-sports-front

The league also broadened its list of banned substances to include steroid precursors and designer steroids, such as THG. Human growth hormone, ephedra, diuretics and masking agents are also banned, and new substances that are regulated as steroids will automatically be banned.