Brandon McCarthy Finds His Groove

Chisoxfn

Brandon McCarthy Finds His Groove

By Jason Gage

August 3, 2005

FutureSox.com

Undoubtedly Brandon McCarthy’s name came up quite often in trade discussions these past couple weeks, but no major deal was made and the Sox best prospect will remain in the organization. Despite hearing his name tied to rumors, McCarthy has gone on his best run since spring training. It is also a sign that McCarthy has made the necessary adjustments to go back to pitching the way he has in the past...MORE

Oh I always thought that he was going to try and add a cutter. Well a 2 seam is good none the less because his 4 seam fastball is pretty straight if I remember right. But with that curve of his and his control if he indeed is using the change up again and can mix in a 2 seamer ill be very happy with him.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
As I said before, great article. Now I understand why he wouldn't throw his change. Did you get the stats fixed yet?

Yep, everything is set now :)

Updated his stats to include the 5th start (including ERA) and than updated his season long stats as well.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Next time they bring BMac up, they should put him in the bullpen in long relief.  Get his feet wet in the majors without the pressure of starting.

He'll be starting. From everything I've heard, the Sox will likely go to a 6 man rotation (assuming everyone is healthy) in September. Basically it will be a way to help get the starters fresh (this is assuming they have things locked up).

Hmph, I figured the problem with his change might have been that AJ wasn't calling for it.

Anywho...if he can put together a decent slider out there to go along with a 2 seamer, 4 seamer, that nasty curve ball, and a murderous changeup...and he's throwing to a catcher who knows how to mix things up, no one will be able to touch him when he gets to the big leagues.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
Hmph, I figured the problem with his change might have been that AJ wasn't calling for it.

Anywho...if he can put together a decent slider out there to go along with a 2 seamer, 4 seamer, that nasty curve ball, and a murderous changeup...and he's throwing to a catcher who knows how to mix things up, no one will be able to touch him when he gets to the big leagues.

Well your right to an extent on the catcher thing as well, because for a rookie pitcher, the catcher is calling the entire game.

It will be interesting in regards to the slider. Don't know how often he'll use it. Right now from what I gather is that he plans on harnessing the 2 seamer. However, it could be a pitch that he works on over the off-season or even during spring training (which is usually a good time to start implementing a new pitch).

I'm really excited for Brandon's future, he's going to be a front of the rotation guy for a long time (hopefully on the Southside).