School Started today

kapkomet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Perhaps, but I think Decent test scores and Good-Very Good grades out weigh Good-Very Good test scores and decent grades.

i'd argue that based on my experience but depends what schools you apply to i guess.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Or you could get the shaft like me and still have to pay 7/8 of your stuff with both being good.

s*** happens.... :lolhitting Just playing with ya.

PS- Why don't we just merge the 2 threads?

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
Yeah, it depends on what school you're applying to.

And, obviously, B grades from a really hard Prep School will be worth more than Bs (and probably As) from some crappy rural/city school.

May I ask all of your opinions on my situation then???

Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy, Approx. 27 ACT, All A-B Grades...

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
Did you do the exchange program to Germany when you were in high school? My parents are trying to force me to go because my sister went and had a blast, but I'm not too thrilled about it. I would be gone all of June and a german kid would come here in April.

No, I basically just did some minor extra-ciriccular German stuff when I was in High School. I am planning on utilizing IU's study abroad programs next year (3rd year of Uni) and study in Freiburg for the academic year (September to July).

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
i'd argue that based on my experience but depends what schools you apply to i guess.

I agree with you. Both of my sisters had amazing GPA's, but their SAT scores didn't match the level of their GPA's and they had a hard time getting into the big times schools. Although on of them did get accepted to the Naval Academy (the second hardest school to get into? thats what I heard, I don't know if it's true) and turned it down for Case Western, in Cleveland.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
I agree with you. Both of my sisters had amazing GPA's, but their SAT scores didn't match the level of their GPA's and they had a hard time getting into the big times schools. Although on of them did get accepted to the Naval Academy (the second hardest school to get into? thats what I heard, I don't know if it's true) and turned it down for Case Western, in Cleveland.

don't know about 2nd hardest, but it is VERY hard to get into

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
don't know about 2nd hardest, but it is VERY hard to get into

The more I thought about it, I think it was the second lowest acceptance rate I believe. She had to go through several application and interviewing processes. She initially got denied because of having aided vision, but in the spring they called and said she had been accepted, but she had already made up her mind on a different school. When I visited there, I loved the school. It builds an amazing character, but it is definitely a grueling school mentally and physically. I don't think I would want to go through all of it.

my ACT allowed me to get to virtually every school i wanted to ... of course, i didn't apply to that many extremely hard schools...but mizzou really called to me, they were the only one taht actively pursued me it seemed. They sold me their school...

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Me too. I thought after the first 2 years I could just cruise which was the exact opposite. Junior year is an outlier in my GPA.

Ya, I got lucky, I had real strong SAT scores and shockingly (well to those that give me crap for my grammar and spelling) I wrote a really strong essay (GPA wasn't that bad though, like 3.2) so I got into every school but one I applied to (the one I didn't get into was one my mom kept telling me to apply to so finally I just said fine just to make her happy).

But I was a total lazy ass in high school with the belief I'd turn it on when I started taking classes that interested me. The only thing I cared about in high school when it came to school was getting good enough grades to get into a decent college.