Colleges

CubsSuck1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I will be applying to Boston College, Indiana, Ohio St, Kansas, Umass-Amherst, Connecticut.

What are some of your GPA's and ACT/SAT scores like?

go to princetonreview.com

search for the schools and it will come up with average ACT/SAT scores, etc.

really a great site that i visited alot when i was looking at schools

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
I will be applying to Boston College, Indiana, Ohio St, Kansas, Umass-Amherst, Connecticut.

26 on my ACT.

I'm ranked 24th in my class out of about 310 or so.

I don't know what my GPA is. I'm basically an A-to-B student in most of my classes, and I take only AP or Honors classes. The only class I've ever gotten a C in was Physics. I hate Physics/Chemistry/Biology. Yuck... Science.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)

I only applied to ISU and got in. I considered Stanford, Northwestern, Tulane, Minnesota and Iowa, but I was going to choose ISU over Iowa, and we ain't exactly rich, and although my parents said finances shouldn't be a concern, I thought about them. I think I was going to ISU anyways.

GPA: 4.0 ACT: 32

-Worth no extra money in college for me. Bupkus. Pissed me off, kinda. Any classes I would've gotten out of due to these two, AP and college credit clases got me out of.

Going into journalism and mass communication.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
GPA: 4.0 ACT: 32

-Worth no extra money in college for me. Bupkus. Pissed me off, kinda. Any classes I would've gotten out of due to these two, AP and college credit clases got me out of.

Going into journalism and mass communication.

32 on your ACT?!?!?!

f***in' nerd... :P

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
32 on your ACT?!?!?!

f***in' nerd...  :P

I was ticked I didn't do better. :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
WHOOT! WHOOT!  :headbang

I just sorta fell into it writing for the school newspaper as the editor in chief and then writing for the local newspaper. Still no idea if I want to do that, only taking one journalism class my first semester.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
CS1, I'm looking at Marquette and University of Wisconsin right now.

I've visited Marquette, loved the campus.  It reminded me of Chicago -- except, a little bit shrunk down -- and I love Chicago.

I'm also looking at UofW, because I've had a teacher who said she loved the campus and the whole aspect of it, and she's extremely down to earth, and fairly young, too.  I want to be close to Illinois -- close enough for me to be able to drive home if I feel like it, yet far enough to where my parents will have to call if they're visiting.  :D

I go to Marquette University right now, I'm going to start my Junior year in a few weeks. I love it there. It's a great campus, the people are nice, and there are some great teachers at MU. And it's in downtown Milwaukee so there's always something to do. Plus it's away from home (Aurora, IL), but not too far away! Love it and can't wait to move back.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I was ticked I didn't do better. :P

I just sorta fell into it writing for the school newspaper as the editor in chief and then writing for the local newspaper. Still no idea if I want to do that, only taking one journalism class my first semester.

I decided to take a journalism course this year and take the 2nd course my seniro year as a precursor to where I go for mass comm/journalism/tv.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
We only have the journalism course where you write for the school newspaper.

Haha. My high school has quite a few classes for media and communications. Journalism 1 and 2 and a few film classes, editing classes, stuff like that. I will take all those with my electives.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
We can always go into the "Heads' high school could fit into your house" discussion. 4 grades, 500 people in one school. I know everyone in my grade and you can walk every hallway in less than five minutes if you try.

Haha. I usually run 1 lap in my school in like 3 1/2 minutes when we condition for baseball lol...

I'm going to be a super senior at the University of Illinois.

History and Secondary Education -- one last semester of classes and then a spring semester of student teaching.

It is a fun place because of the bar scene (hit up the Office, etc. -- good stuff) but there are a whole lot of idiots here.

QUOTE(KJean @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:41 AM)
I go to Marquette University right now, I'm going to start my Junior year in a few weeks. I love it there. It's a great campus, the people are nice, and there are some great teachers at MU. And it's in downtown Milwaukee so there's always something to do.  Plus it's away from home (Aurora, IL), but not too far away! Love it and can't wait to move back.

Can I ask you what you're majoring in, and did you know what you were majoring in before your freshman year?

I'm undecided as of right now. I have an idea. Do they (the university) help you w/r/t getting you help with deciding your major?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Can I ask you what you're majoring in, and did you know what you were majoring in before your freshman year?

I'm undecided as of right now.  I have an idea.  Do they (the university) help you w/r/t getting you help with deciding your major?

I'm a Accounting and Finance major. I went there knowing I wanted to major in Accounting, but just recently decided to double major. The College of Business is great with exposing you to all different types of majors (well they actually require you to take a bunch of different classes in and out of the college of business) and it's "easy" to pick up a second major or minor the way the programs are set up.

I can't speak from personal experience about the university helping with deciding majors. But they give you the flexibility to take a huge variety of classes that sound appealing to you, esp. if you're undecided cause then you'll probably go into the College of Arts and Sciences. My roommate started as a Journalism major but switched to Broadcast Communication this past year and she didn't loose any credits or have any go to waste.

Plus it doesn't really matter if you're undecided your frosh or soph year, it actually can be quite good because then you can take a variety of different classes and such. Wooo sorry that was long, hope it helped.

QUOTE(KJean @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 04:09 AM)
I'm a Accounting and Finance major. I went there knowing I wanted to major in Accounting, but just recently decided to double major.  The College of Business is great with exposing you to all different types of majors (well they actually require you to take a bunch of different classes in and out of the college of business) and it's "easy" to pick up a second major or minor the way the programs are set up.

I can't speak from personal experience about the university helping with deciding majors. But they give you the flexibility to take a huge variety of classes that sound appealing to you, esp. if you're undecided cause then you'll probably go into the College of Arts and Sciences. My roommate started as a Journalism major but switched to Broadcast Communication this past year and she didn't loose any credits or have any go to waste.

Plus it doesn't really matter if you're undecided your frosh or soph year, it actually can be quite good because then you can take a variety of different classes and such. Wooo sorry that was long, hope it helped.

No, I definitely appreciate the knowledge, KJean.

See, a major like Accounting or Financing seems to be right up my alley. I believe that's what my mom majored in, and Math has come pretty easy to me always. The problem that I have is I don't apply myself -- the whole solving equations thing to me just gets boring, but it's easy -- and I can see myself doing something with real-world numbers.

Or, maybe I just have an ass-backwards view of what Accounting/Financing is...

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Also what would you say about that school to someone looking at colleges?

-Do college visits. As has been said already, look for an environment you like (probably the most important thing). Take everything into account, dorms or transportation (will they have cable for Sox games?!?!?!), weather (it might suck to walk miles to classes in the winter in some areas), different degree programs and requirements (though most should be similar), whether you'll like bigger or smaller classes/campuses, financial aid packages, even take cameras if you wish. Most likely someone's gonna be dishing out a lot of money, don't want to spend your time in a place you'll hate.

-Start as early as possible, it'll probably be more convenient. I was late (applied to the college in late July, while classes started the month after, but I had great high school grades, so I guess they didn't mind), and love where I am, (If you're in high school and take one of those scholarship tests, check the box for them to be able to mail stuff to you, you'll get a lot of school's mail, but you'll also see who really wants you and I got a lot of free stuff)

So how many people here facebook?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
No, I definitely appreciate the knowledge, KJean.

See, a major like Accounting or Financing seems to be right up my alley.  I believe that's what my mom majored in, and Math has come pretty easy to me always.  The problem that I have is I don't apply myself -- the whole solving equations thing to me just gets boring, but it's easy -- and I can see myself doing something with real-world numbers.

Or, maybe I just have an ass-backwards view of what Accounting/Financing is...

Yeah you def. need to like math to be an Accounting major. You're required to take fun stuff like Calc and Stats and such. For me it was easy, but I know a whole bunch of people who struggled with it. But the key is you have to really enjoy it or else you're just gonna be going through the motions. That being said Accounting isn't just math at all. If you go to MU and the college of business who have to take 2 semesters of it, so you'll get a good idea if it's your kind of thing or not, cause people either hate it or love it.

The College of Business at MU is really good. Great teachers and a lot of connections with Milwaukee and Chicago companies.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Big aspirations?  :o

Yeah, I know I wont get into Michigan (well I'd be really shocked if I do). Florida is the other reach school. UTexas, Florida State, and U of I are pretty much my good matches. South Carolina and U of Georgia are more along the lines of safety schools.