Colleges

CubsSuck1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KJean @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm a Accounting and Finance major. I went there knowing I wanted to major in Accounting, but just recently decided to double major.  The College of Business is great with exposing you to all different types of majors (well they actually require you to take a bunch of different classes in and out of the college of business) and it's "easy" to pick up a second major or minor the way the programs are set up.

I can't speak from personal experience about the university helping with deciding majors. But they give you the flexibility to take a huge variety of classes that sound appealing to you, esp. if you're undecided cause then you'll probably go into the College of Arts and Sciences. My roommate started as a Journalism major but switched to Broadcast Communication this past year and she didn't loose any credits or have any go to waste.

Plus it doesn't really matter if you're undecided your frosh or soph year, it actually can be quite good because then you can take a variety of different classes and such. Wooo sorry that was long, hope it helped.

Exactly what I'm doing down here. I suppose in American Terms I would be a junior in college, as I'm in year 2 of my 3 year course.

And for my course, we were forced to do 10 "core" units of Accounting, Macro - Economics, Micro Economics, Managment, Business Data Analysis (Stats), Finance, Marketing, Basic Business Law, Business Communication and some other I.T sort of course doing Access and Excel stuff.

This semester I'm undertaking International Financial Reporting (which has become quite important now since the world are now undertaking International Accounting Standards), Cost Accounting, Money and Capital Markets and Business Finance. So for anyone who's thinking of doing that, that's the type of stuff you're gonna do.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
I actually am not on facebook, all my friends are on the damn thing and I've refused to do it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
^^

I see it as a great timekiller, nothing else.

That's how I feel about it. Everybody I know does it, but I don't see exactly what it does. One of my friends said it was a way to meet people but you aren't meeting them. You're just putting your name on lists and such.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
What is facebook?

It's a place where you can look up people at your school, see their picture, profile, join groups for people with similar interests. Some people are waaaaaaaaay too into it.

I'm gonna be a senior in high school. Last year, I had a lot of schools on my "list." However, over past the year and this summer, I narrowed it down to the University of Tennessee, University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), and University of Georgia. Previously, I had been considering Rhodes College (small, liberal arts), University of Texas, and U of Illinois to name a few. Anyway, I've visited all 3 schools on my final list, and really loved all the campuses. I rank them like this:

1) UT

2) Ole Miss

3) Georgia

Therefore, that means I'll be attending the University of Tennessee next fall, since I'll have no problem getting in. Actually, with my grades the way they are now (3.98 GPA, 26 ACT [first time]), I've got $4500 guaranteed in scholarship money. TN has a state lottery scholarship and my GPA and ACT gives me some more money from the University. Plus, it's in-state, so I'll only be paying, at most, like $5000-5500 a year to go there. Not too shabby. Also, I'll be appying for some other merit-based scholarships, so if I get one of those, the amt. I'll have to pay will be even less. I really don't want to go to a school that costs $30000 a year and be paying student loans for the next 10-15 years when I'm done w/ undergrad, especially since, as of now, I want to go the Dental School. And, that will cost some $$$.

Also, Chimpy, I'm not so sure Georgia is a good "fallback" school. It's very highly selective for out of state students since a ton of in-staters go there. Now, I have no idea what your grades are, but all I know is it's pretty hard to get in to.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
CS1, I'm looking at Marquette and University of Wisconsin right now.

I've visited Marquette, loved the campus.  It reminded me of Chicago -- except, a little bit shrunk down -- and I love Chicago.

I'm also looking at UofW, because I've had a teacher who said she loved the campus and the whole aspect of it, and she's extremely down to earth, and fairly young, too.  I want to be close to Illinois -- close enough for me to be able to drive home if I feel like it, yet far enough to where my parents will have to call if they're visiting.  :D

If your talking about UDub...ie University of Washington its an awesome school. I was very very close to going there or Michigan State (both have great business programs). In the end I stayed local and have been quite happy with it. Fullerton's been a great program, especially for business and teaching.

But I think the key is coming up with a few things your interested in doing and than finding schools that are good in those areas (sometimes multiple) that way if for osme reason your first choice isn't what you want it to be you can always go to a 2nd.

For me I always knew I wanted to do business so all I looked for was a good business program and than narrowed it down from there (Based on the campus atmosphere and alll that good stuff).

QUOTE(KJean @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
I'm a Accounting and Finance major. I went there knowing I wanted to major in Accounting, but just recently decided to double major.  The College of Business is great with exposing you to all different types of majors (well they actually require you to take a bunch of different classes in and out of the college of business) and it's "easy" to pick up a second major or minor the way the programs are set up.

I can't speak from personal experience about the university helping with deciding majors. But they give you the flexibility to take a huge variety of classes that sound appealing to you, esp. if you're undecided cause then you'll probably go into the College of Arts and Sciences. My roommate started as a Journalism major but switched to Broadcast Communication this past year and she didn't loose any credits or have any go to waste.

Plus it doesn't really matter if you're undecided your frosh or soph year, it actually can be quite good because then you can take a variety of different classes and such. Wooo sorry that was long, hope it helped.

Thats exactly what I'm majoring in. Got one accounting class left and a whole lot of finance classes left.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
That's how I feel about it. Everybody I know does it, but I don't see exactly what it does. One of my friends said it was a way to meet people but you aren't meeting them. You're just putting your name on lists and such.

I've refused to join it as well.

All it is, IMO, is a contest to see who can create the biggest friends list.

"Please by my friend, you'd make #218 on it!!!!!"

Facebook is lame.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
My cumulative gpa for high school so far is about 4.15, IIRC, (4.3 last semester) and I'm in the 92nd percentile. Taking somewhat of a tougher schedule this year, so I should maintain a 4.3 if all goes well and raise the cum. gpa and the percentile.

Did you get an honors point your freshman and sophmore year? Because if not, you had an A+ average?? I took all honors classes, but my school doesn't give us an honors point until junior year. Right now I'm around 3.7, but that will go way up when all the slackers don't get honors points and I do this year.

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Went to Miami University in Ohio, prettiest campus you will ever see, as well as the best looking girls.  60/40

Ummm...I'm sure they have very pretty girls, as most colleges do, but I've never heard miami of ohio mentioned as the one with the best...

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Did you get an honors point your freshman and sophmore year? Because if not, you had an A+ average?? I took all honors classes, but my school doesn't give us an honors point until junior year. Right now I'm around 3.7, but that will go way up when all the slackers don't get honors points and I do this year.

Yea.. 5 points for an A in an honors class, 4 for a B. For regular classes its 4 for an A and so on. I took one honors class Freshman year, two soph year, and going for 3 this year.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Yea.. 5 points for an A in an honors class, 4 for a B. For regular classes its 4 for an A and so on. I took one honors class Freshman year, two soph year, and going for 3 this year.

Yeah, that is how my school is. I told 1 person that I had a 4.3 GPA and he was like "How? every school in the US goes on a 4-pt scale!" He also claimed his major in college was studying grade point average's. Haha... :lol:

Back in the late 80's when I was in HS...yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm old and stuff...we had this crazy f'ed up system where we were graded on an 8 point scale. I can't even remember how they did it, but I had a 5.6 and that was good. I think an A in an AP class was an 8...honors senior was a 7...honors junior 6, etc. It was the craziest system and stupid since no college would honor it. We still had to shift to the 4 point scale.

I don't think they do that anymore, but I could be wrong.

PS> Niles North was the HS.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Back in the late 80's when I was in HS...yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm old and stuff...we had this crazy f'ed up system where we were graded on an 8 point scale.  I can't even remember how they did it, but I had a 5.6 and that was good.  I think an A in an AP class was an 8...honors senior was a 7...honors junior 6, etc.  It was the craziest system and stupid since no college would honor it.  We still had to shift to the 4 point scale.

I don't think they do that anymore, but I could be wrong. 

PS>  Niles North was the HS.

Haha, "Yeah I have a 7.6 GPA"