Bears, Grossman not busts in Ohio

Bears, Grossman not a bust in Canton

August 9, 2005

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

CANTON, Ohio -- Even if it was only one play, a twisting flash on a summer's night, this qualified as titillation in the City of Weak Shoulders. With high tech, was it possible to edit out the backdrop -- an ancient high-school stadium, $1.25 hot dogs sold in white tents, an interstate highway to nowhere all but cutting through the end zone -- and transfer the pass, catch and quick-strike thrill to September?

There was Rex Grossman, healthy and bouncing on his toes and diverting focus from a presumably sober Ricky Williams, heaving another long one down the right sideline. And there was Muhsin Muhammad, a real receiver, deftly bringing down a fading ball at the Miami 1-yard line against the defense of Nick Saban, who was supposed to coach the Bears once upon a time until Jerry Angelo and Ted Phillips refused to relinquish power and money. This was just the first hour of a preseason that will last way too long, but already, it was clear Terry Shea and John Shoop aren't employed here anymore.

And that Grossman, for now, is back in business.

''It's just a great feeling playing football. I had a blast,'' he said, flashing a Hall of Fame smile after his first game since blowing out his right knee 101/2 months ago in Minnesota. ''I've been doing this my whole life, and for a while, I took it for granted. Being able to play gives me a whole new appreciation for the game.''

In a way, it was fitting Grossman's re-debut came in quaint Fawcett Stadium, home of the annual Hall of Fame game. He sounded like a giddy teen as he sat atop a portable speaker on the field, geeked to be back after the 27-24 win over the Dolphins. The fans will be talking about the revved-up passing game of Ron Turner, the first serious offensive coordinator at Halas Hall in the 21st century, who turned loose not only the first team but the likes of rookie receiver Mark Bradley and rookie quarterback Kyle Orton, who rallied the Bears to victory with a touchdown bomb and will pass a hanging Chad [Hutchinson] on the depth chart if this continues.

Grossman raises the bar

But the big story is Grossman. ''It's great to get our leader back. He looked good,'' coach Lovie Smith said. In a city with traditionally low standards for quarterbacking play, it's refreshing Grossman's standards are higher than most. Next time, he wants fewer dropped balls and better execution by everyone, including himself.

''I had a little bit of the butterflies,'' he said. ''But one of my goals for the game was not to get antsy in the pocket and just stay in there and make some throws. I thought I did that for the most part. We missed big opportunities -- I missed Bernard [berrian] on one -- and we didn't connect on a few others. But we moved the ball decently.''

And the knee? ''It's fine,'' he said. ''Our offensive line did a great job. I didn't really get touched that much. My knee feels great, and I didn't feel anything at all.''

You don't come to the opening practice game -- some journey when the taxi driver drives you to Kent instead of Canton, proving enunciation is key -- and concentrate on what Grossman does wrong. No, you search for a rhythm, a moxie, a clue or two that he knows what he's doing in what still qualifies as his rookie year. Through the early rust and incompletions, I saw enough Monday night to maintain hope that Rex The Wonder Bear may yet emerge in delayed form. His 34-yard completion to Muhammad led to a touchdown plunge by Thomas Jones, capping a nine-play, 83-yard drive fueled by Grossman's right arm. Just as impressive was a 23-yard bullet to Berrian that Al Michaels described as ''beautiful.''

Do you believe in miracles? Can Grossman thrive with Turner, create a pitch-and-catch partnership with Muhammad and become the first franchise quarterback in Chicago since ... since ... since Sid Luckman was wearing a leather helmet in games broadcast by Irv Kupcinet? Well, as always, there are issues.

Someday, maybe we'll come to this obscure burg, stay at the Holiday Inn, eat at Bob Evans and watch a Bears quarterback earn induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Someday, maybe we'll stroll inside the football-shaped rotunda and see a familiar bust, chiseled for eternity, like those of Dan Marino and Steve Young the other day. Until then, Grossman must try not to bust his knee.

Or his hand. Or whatever other body part hasn't been injured so far in a career that has spanned all of six games over two seasons which, in quarterback years, means he's a neophyte who still hasn't established if he can stand out in the NFL. Only Bears fans would have to wait three seasons to analyze Grossman's proving-ground year when they've waited decades for any hint of a high-echelon QB, not counting Jim McMahon because he was brittle. From what I've seen in these brief glimpses, I like Grossman's poise, confidence and leadership skills. But if you're asking me if he'll be a star, there are doubts to answer: He is on the short side, doesn't have a monster arm, hasn't stayed healthy so far and, by no fault of his, is working with his fifth offense in his last five years of pro and college ball.

The good news is, he's moving well and isn't spooked by the torn ACL. ''It's the last hurdle. It's going to be fun to live again,'' Grossman said.

The bad news? No one's going to trust any of this until he survives an entire season without an injury, difficult for any quarterback. Grossman seems to have the most faith that he can maintain his health. ''Honestly, there's nothing in the back of my mind about the knee at all,'' he said. ''Really, my injury was self-inflicted.'' Actually, it was turf-inflicted, with repeated videotape viewings reminding him he was done in by a freak twist, not an opponent's hit in the Metrodome.

Future finally looks bright

As Cedric Benson remains in holdout mode, bringing back bad memories of Curtis Enis and Rashaan Salaam, his old friend from Texas returned to the Dolphins. Williams sounds as confused and trippy as ever, and for all we know, he'll disappear from the team during his four-game suspension and fly to the Himalayas to smoke some nice ganja. For the record, he gained eight yards on five carries and said he doesn't expect to be the starter, man, even as top pick Ronnie Brown holds out. ''I didn't expect anything, to be honest,'' he said. ''It was like always when I play -- it takes me a while to get warmed up. But I felt good and I was seeing everything good.''

When wayward souls like Williams don't love the game, it only magnifies the joy of those who do. Grossman, for instance.

''I learned that the guy can play a little football,'' Muhammad said. ''I'm just excited about the future and the possibilities we have before us.''

''He's a legitimate All-Pro, the best receiver in the league,'' Grossman said.

If only it was December, not August.

say what you want about Jay.... he's a really talented writer. Reading this piece inspires me for next yer