Harry Potter

Queen Prawn

After much procrastination, I borrowed the first three books from my mom. I am now mid way through the third.

At first, I liked it, but couldn't understand the obsession. Now while on book three, I understand it and am hooked. I know as soon as I am done with #3 I am heading over the rest that she has. My brother bought her the newest one for her birthday which I will borrow as soon as she is done with it.

Anyone else read these? What were your thoughts on the series?

Has anyone seen the movie(s) - not sure how many of the books have been made into movies? I plan on renting one over the weekend.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
After much procrastination, I borrowed the first three books from my mom.  I am now mid way through the third.

At first, I liked it, but couldn't understand the obsession.  Now while on book three, I understand it and am hooked.  I know as soon as I am done with #3 I am heading over the rest that she has.  My brother bought her the newest one for her birthday which I will borrow as soon as she is done with it.

Anyone else read these?  What were your thoughts on the series?

Has anyone seen the movie(s) - not sure how many of the books have been made into movies?  I plan on renting one over the weekend.

My wife is totally hooked, she swears book #4 is the best one, so it should even worse for you... :)

They are great, even though we are only half-way through Order of the Phoenix. And, yes, somebody did screw me over by already telling me who it is that dies in Half-Blood Prince. I curse that person and will keep the secret, however. :angry:

The reason we're so slow getting through teh last books is that I've been appointed the de facto human book on tape and have to read them to my wife on car trips while she drives. She makes me do the accents and the different voices and the whole deal – we are odd people. But we haven't taken any long trips in the last couple of years, and we only get to read after the kids have fallen asleep in the back, so it's been slow going.

I think the films are excellent as well, especially the latest one (Azkaban) which took on a new look and a darker tone with the new director.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
They are great, even though we are only half-way through Order of the Phoenix. And, yes, somebody did screw me over by already telling me who it is that dies in Half-Blood Prince.  I curse that person and will keep the secret, however.  :angry:

The reason we're so slow getting through teh last books is that I've been appointed the de facto human book on tape and have to read them to my wife on car trips while she drives.  She makes me do the accents and the different voices and the whole deal – we are odd people.  But we haven't taken any long trips in the last couple of years, and we only get to read after the kids have fallen asleep in the back, so it's been slow going.

I think the films are excellent as well, especially the latest one (Azkaban) which took on a new look and a darker tone with the new director.

I'm sorry I revealed that you die at the end of the last book. One should never know their future.

I'm totally in love with these books. My personal favorite is the 3rd followed closely by the 5th, but most people I know say the 4th is their favorite. Yeah, I'm a total nerd in that I've read 1-5 twice and 6 took me a day. So far there are 3 movies and the 4th one comes out November 18 and it looks like it's gonna be even better than the 3rd.

Also, I agree with Josh, the books aren't really kids books, especially the 4th on, but Rowling did say she didn't write them to be kids books.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
I suggest you edit your post; some don't want to know the ending.

Like me, who you just ruined it for. :angry:

There are just places you don't go. And, this is one of them. If you don't know what your talking about, shut the hell up. Why do some people just feel the need to tell people stuff like this.

My one biggest pet peeve is when I find out the ending to a movie or book before I've seen/read it. God, I hate that. I now have little desire to read the newest book. I might end up reading it now, but if that's really the ending then I'm gonna have a hard time enjoying the book when I know what the ending is. Already read the 1st 4 1/2, and was really looking forward to finishing the 5th and the next one. Am I alone in feeling this way about spoilers? Please tell me other people hate it too.

I've never said anything bad to another poster on here, no matter how much I disagree with them or how much something they say pisses me off... Until now. You deserve it, though.

If santo=dorf doesn't edit his/her post in the next 10 minutes, will a mod please do so?

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
Can a mod please edit his post?  Even if the warning it's still quite obvious.  Though, it's still there, considering we all quoted it in our own poste...

I'll edit it.

EDIT: I took out all mentionings of the spoiler for you guys.

Edited by greasywheels121

my wife and i have read all the books and we generally have liked them. i thought the latest book was pretty weak compared to the the last few but it looks like it was designed to set up the last book with should be about 1500 pages long in order to wrap up all the loose ends. I think the "Goblet of Fire" was by far the best book and should be an interesting movie (i saw the previews at the show last week....very good).

juddling

:cheers :gosox3:

QUOTE(juddling @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
my wife and i have read all the books and we generally have liked them.  i thought the latest book was pretty weak compared to the the last few but it looks like it was designed to set up the last book with should be about 1500 pages long in order to wrap up all the loose ends.

I agree with you I thought the 6th one dragged a bit which seems to be the consensus - people either thought it dragged or loved it. But I think JK Rowling said a while back shortly after she finished Book 6 that it was essentially Part 1 of 2 with Book 7 obviously being Part 2. So, I'm looking forward to getting Book 7 in two years.

i love the books and the movies. I think the sixth one was very good and once i was halfway in i couldn't stop reading. The fourth was very very good and i think the fifth was very good because it was like the ending to book 4. I cant wait to see the goblet of fire at the theater. is it going to be pg-13? i thought the second movie should hav been.

I have less than 100 pages to go in 3 and my mom has 4 and 5 waiting for me (she won't get 6 for a few weeks). Found out she also has the movies which I am borrowing as soon as I can - my sister has the first one at the moment, but hopefully I can get it by the weekend.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
I'll edit it.

EDIT:  I took out all mentionings of the spoiler for you guys.

why? He is not ruining anything because that is not the ending. Somebody dies but Snape doesn't kill anybody and if you have seen the trailer it is obvious that Dumbledore doesn't die. Plus in the movie credits for the 5th one it credits the guy who plays Dumbledore.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
why?  He is not ruining anything because that is not the ending. 

You really don't know what you're talking about. You're mixing up the movies and books. I've read book 6, and that was a HUGE spoiler that he posted and personally I think your post should be edited.