rangercal

2000                    2005

April     17-8                    17-7

May      13- 14                  18-10

June      20-7                    18- 7

July       14-12                   15-11

August   15-13                   6-9

September  16-12                      

Does this pattern scare the s*** out of anyone else? I know we have a huge lead. I just don't want to back into the playoffs like we did in 2000. I know we have played a pretty tough schedule of late. Though, I could point out a handfull of our second half losses that that our 1st half team would have won. Im still confident with this team. But, these splits still crawl in the back of my head.

Edited by rangercal

The problem in 2000 was a complete breakdown in our pitching staff in August/September. This year our offense threatens to go in the tank.

However, I would happily take 15-13 and 16-12 as a W-L record these two months, as it would almost certainly ensure home field advantage in the playoffs.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
The problem in 2000 was a complete breakdown in our pitching staff in August/September.  This year our offense threatens to go in the tank. 

However, I would happily take 15-13 and 16-12 as a W-L record these two months, as it would almost certainly ensure home field advantage in the playoffs.

How far back is the surging Boston team. Are you sure that just coasting along we are ensured the home field for the playoffs.

Methinks you under-estimate our opponents.

Plus in the playoffs our pitching staff pitched relatively well. It was our offense that decided to disappear. The birth of Corpseball was in the 2000 ALDS.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
How far back is the surging Boston team.  Are you sure that just coasting along we are ensured the home field for the playoffs. 

Methinks you under-estimate our opponents.

If we coast the rest of the way, Boston, anaheim and Oakland all have legitimate shots at posting a better W/L . It won't matter of the WC has a better W/L . I would not want both Boston and the AL west winner to have home field over us.

Do we win a game 5 in Boston, Oakland, or Anaheim? I don't know yet.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Plus in the playoffs our pitching staff pitched relatively well.  It was our offense that decided to disappear.  The birth of Corpseball was in the 2000 ALDS.

Yes, but also in 2000 it was our offense that got us to the playoffs. It will not be our offense that gets us there this year.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
and get swept?  The point I'm making is to finish strong and carry that momentum into the playoffs. i.e  2003 Marlins

What i meant is that i would be happy if we got there. But i, just as every other fan wants their team to succeed in the playoffs. As of right now we still have to make the playoffs. I know we have a 12 game lead over cleveland, but we aren't promised a spot in the playoffs yet. Until we make it to the playoffs, i will be happy with making it to the playoffs, then winning the ALDS series and ALCS series and making it to the WS then hopefully winning the WS. (all of which would come after making to the playoffs) This is what i would like to happen, as i am sure that you would also want this to happen also.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Yes, but also in 2000 it was our offense that got us to the playoffs.  It will not be our offense that gets us there this year.

Everyone on this site keeps banking on our pitching just shutting down the opposition in the playoffs and our offense just wooping on the opposing pitching because it doesnt match up.

Boston has a killer offense. They have beat up on some of the best pitchers in the league this year. We will have to have our pitchers have great games and our offense will have to step up. While they have done this a few times, other times they get shut down by mediocre pitching.

Vlad is the X factor. The minute he came back that offense started to hit. We have not faced Vlad this year and barely and I mean barely squeaked some victories out. Does his bat change some of those games, maybe it does. We had hard times hitting Lackey and in some respect Colon who would be one and two out of the rotation.

The As. We cant hit Zito at all, if Harden is on he is very difficult plus we have a hard time winning against that team at all. Their high OBP hitters are murder against our team and the type of hitter we have. A power pitcher has a distinct advatage over the As. But finese pitchers who pound the strikezone like we have for Garland and Buerhle and Garcia(not finese but he does pound the strikezone) are at a disadvantage.

Each opponent will be a tough challenge for us. We have great pitching who will have to get hot so we can ride them. We have to get our hitting more consistant by October so we are not a homer or nothing team. If we get back to stringing hits together, making contact, moving the runner over, playing smart we have a chance.

If our offense stays the same as it is now. We will be swept out of the playoffs no matter who we play.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
It's funny cuz all I'm worried about is the Twins game tonight.  Relax.  Ozzie was watching Trader Jack last time around when the Marlins won with good pitching and "smart" ball.  One game at a time, please.

I'm jealous, but for me, with this good of a record and big of a lead, it's very difficulat not to look ahead.

To those who just want to make the playoffs first:

Assume the time comes when we are mathematically assured of the postseason. If we are still sputtering on offense and fighting to win half our games, will you have any concern over how we have played since the break, and will you care how the remainder of the regular season goes?

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

2000 Pitching staff

Jim Parque

Mike Sirotka

James Baldwin

Cal Eldred

Bad Jon Garland

Plus bad defense

2005 Pitching staff

Mark Buehrle

Good Jon Garland

Freddy Garcia

Jose Contreras

Orlando Hernandez

Plus good defense

Yah, I know who I'd be more comfortable with going into the playoffs.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
To those who just want to make the playoffs first:

Assume the time comes when we are mathematically assured of the postseason.  If we are still sputtering on offense and fighting to win half our games, will you have any concern over how we have played since the break, and will you care how the remainder of the regular season goes?

SFF

We only need to go 11-8 in the playoffs.