8/16 Games

DBAHO

Charlotte wins 14-9. Bull started gave up 6ER in 5IP. Casanova homered, multi - hit games for the usual suspects, still no Borch.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...=g_box&did=milb

B-Ham won 2-1. Excellent start for Tracey, 7IP, 1ER, 1BB and 5K's. Young 0 for 3 with 2BB's, Fields 1 for 3 with 2BB's.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...cmcaax_biraax_1

Winston - Salem lost 4-2. Moat started giving up 1ER in 3.1IP, only 1 hit games for the likes of Valido, Schnur etc.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...wilafx_wswafx_1

Kanny got postponed.

According to the log Sweeney got HBP in his 2nd plate appearance, stayed to run the bases (stayed at 1st anyway) and was taken out the next half inning.

Important thing to note on Tracey tonight: He allowed 1 flyball in his first 6 innings. According to the logs the hits were either line drives or ground balls. He's a sinkerballer and needs to stay with that. He did get 2 flyouts in his last inning the 7th, which could be attributed to fatigue.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
According to the log Sweeney got HBP in his 2nd plate appearance, stayed to run the bases (stayed at 1st anyway) and was taken out the next half inning.

Important thing to note on Tracey tonight: He allowed 1 flyball in his first 6 innings. According to the logs the hits were either line drives or ground balls. He's a sinkerballer and needs to stay with that. He did get 2 flyouts in his last inning the 7th, which could be attributed to fatigue.

Garland is the same way when he's going good. He makes it look easy in the early innings and gets lots of ground balls, but struggles late in the game with lots of flyballs.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Garland is the same way when he's going good. He makes it look easy in the early innings and gets lots of ground balls, but struggles late in the game with lots of flyballs.

Yep. This Article from thebaseballanalysts.com talked about him and his sinkerballing so I decided to check out his groundball/flyball etc.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Sweeney only got one plate appearence, then was pulled. Wonder why?

Hit in the wrist more x-rays to come something reveled was some damage from an HBP in June that will require surgery. Hopefully it will be off season surgery

He finshed the inning but had to come out in the top of 4th. Rogo finshed the game as the RF.

Yes he had the sinker working. He had Hermida tied up like a preztel and the 1st flyout was a weak one to lead off the game and the last two were routine plays

Barons 2 Carolina 1

W- Pollok L- Resop

I will start with the Tracey pitching tonight he was incredible keeping the ball down having his best control of the year walking 1 on a 3-2 borderline pitch. Trace had Flordia #1 Jeremy Hermida tied up all night getting him on pitches in the 5th in the series Hermida is 0-10 4K's. Now the walkoff Darren Blakely took a 1-2 pitch from Major Leaguer Chris Resop and drove it to wall in RCF bringing in Fields who patiently drew a walk. Pollok pitched a very effective 2 innings of relief of Tracey.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)

Its funny cause usually a sinkerballer will just continue to get better as their arm fatigues. They are the types of guys that give up runs early and than get into their grooves and can shut guys down.

Who knows though, but I"ve noticed the same thing you guys have.

On a sidenote, this past weekend, you could just see Garland was throwing too hard and it really bit him in the butt. Garland is at his finest when he's a few MPH off on his fastball because he gets a lot more sink on the pitches. Than every once in a while gear up on his fastballs upstairs (which he has done so well this year).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
Its funny cause usually a sinkerballer will just continue to get better as their arm fatigues.  They are the types of guys that give up runs early and than get into their grooves and can shut guys down. 

Who knows though, but I"ve noticed the same thing you guys have. 

On a sidenote, this past weekend, you could just see Garland was throwing too hard and it really bit him in the butt.  Garland is at his finest when he's a few MPH off on his fastball because he gets a lot more sink on the pitches.  Than every once in a while gear up on his fastballs upstairs (which he has done so well this year).

Actually, I thought it was the reverse... I didn't see Garland top 90 on the gun. Granted I wasn't watching the gun all game, but the highest I happened to notice was 89. He just had nothing(movement wise) on his pitches. Even his changeup looked terrible.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Actually, I thought it was the reverse... I didn't see Garland top 90 on the gun. Granted I wasn't watching the gun all game, but the highest I happened to notice was 89. He just had nothing(movement wise) on his pitches. Even his changeup looked terrible.

I don't know...the feed I was watching didn't have the velocity so I was going by my eye (I could of been totally wrong though). It just looked to me like he was throwing hard or in a sense over-throwing as opposed to just pitching (when you pitch it just flows out of your hand and you get so much more movement...don't ask me why, it just happens, haha). But your dead on in terms of his movement. Right after the 1st inning of that game I figurd out real quick I better call a friend or two cause I wasn't going to want to sit around all game and watch that whooping :lol:

Sinkerballers are mostly efective when the velocity is down and the arm is tired giving more sink to the ball. I think Gar sould learn one more pitch for those days. Just like Kevin Brown did in San Diego when he learned the splitter from Dave Stewart. To Compliment his over powering sinker and slider

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 06:17 AM)
Damn Bull, you need to get those walks down...

On the bright side, we did kick the s*** out of Jason Grilli.

gotta be specific when talkin about bull now lol could be bullard or bullinger