ok just curious

Reddy

why is it everyone hates pauly so much? he's one of the best offensive 1st basemen in the league... you're all yelling and screaming to aquire another bat. ok fine, we get another bat - then with that added contract let bat X and pauly walk next season? wow so much for an offense at all. .270 with 30 homers and 80 ribbies (rounding) at this point in the season is awesome - wheres the problem? and with that comment of his he was just defending his teamates. i've got tons of respect for pauly and always have. he's the team leader and he's got the offensive numbers to match. without pauly we're just not as good a team. straight up.

so lemme hear why y'all wanna dump him. i'm curious.

His lack of ever getting a single with RISP is what upsets me the most about him. He's good for the one-run homer in the 9th when you are down by 5 (last night) but I can't remember a single "clutch" hit he ever came up with, and I dare you to.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
why is it everyone hates pauly so much?  he's one of the best offensive 1st basemen in the league...  you're all yelling and screaming to aquire another bat.  ok fine, we get another bat - then with that added contract let bat X and pauly walk next season?  wow so much for an offense at all.  .270 with 30 homers and 80 ribbies (rounding) at this point in the season is awesome - wheres the problem?  and with that comment of his he was just defending his teamates.  i've got tons of respect for pauly and always have.  he's the team leader and he's got the offensive numbers to match.  without pauly we're just not as good a team.  straight up.

so lemme hear why y'all wanna dump him.  i'm curious.

right now we need to keep Paul and add another bat. then see how Pauly and that new bat (to make it easier, let's call him Griffey) do in September and October. then we'd probably have to keep Griffey, and make the decision on Konerko based on how well he does in the playoffs.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
right now we need to keep Paul and add another bat.  then see how Pauly and that new bat (to make it easier, let's call him Griffey) do in September and October.  then we'd probably have to keep Griffey, and make the decision on Konerko based on how well he does in the playoffs.

why would you wanna keep a griffey who will undoubtably get hurt again (ie no production) over a konerko who, granted, can be streaky?

His lack of ever getting a single with RISP is what upsets me the most about him.  He's good for the one-run homer in the 9th when you are down by 5 (last night) but I can't remember a single "clutch" hit he ever came up with, and I dare you to.

that homer against the yankees was pretty clutch

since the allstar break pauly has had 23 AB w/ RISP and has 7 hits. thats a .304 average. he also sports a SLG near .700 and an OBP just over .400

the big problem has been the lack of the REST of the offense doing anything... they're as "unclutch" as Pauly

QUOTE(Reddy @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
why is it everyone hates pauly so much?  he's one of the best offensive 1st basemen in the league...  you're all yelling and screaming to aquire another bat.  ok fine, we get another bat - then with that added contract let bat X and pauly walk next season?  wow so much for an offense at all.  .270 with 30 homers and 80 ribbies (rounding) at this point in the season is awesome - wheres the problem?  and with that comment of his he was just defending his teamates.  i've got tons of respect for pauly and always have.  he's the team leader and he's got the offensive numbers to match.  without pauly we're just not as good a team.  straight up.

so lemme hear why y'all wanna dump him.  i'm curious.

Good question. I don't understand it myself.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
why would you wanna keep a griffey who will undoubtably get hurt again (ie no production) over a konerko who, granted, can be streaky?

if we acquire Griffey, which we should because another bat is needed, we're essentially stuck with him. his contract and the fact that he's injury prone would make him difficult to trade again. just hope he doesn't get hurt again.

To quote the man himself (with changing a word around) "Yeah, but he says some really stupid things sometimes".

He has the power numbers, but the average is iffy, we've seen him go into a slumps regularly where he is always outthinking himself, and though the numbers are there and he can be clutch at times ( I won't forget the 2 HRs in the big comeback vs the Cubs after getting hit in the head by Wood), 10+ mill still seems like a lot for me to give to him (realistically would probably be more), especially if it would keep you from paying an important SP (Garland?) or Frank.

He's preaty damn slow as well, and we know we will probably try to get rid of as many slow people as possible, but I'd rather have Frank out of personal bias.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
i would much rather have maggs than paulie

last year wasnt there talk about a deal that could've gone down with the White Sox and Braves where they'd get maggs and we'd get Andruw Jones? :ph34r:

Anyways I dont hate Paulie. His offense from 1st base is top 3 or 4 in the AL and his glove is underrated. I dont know who is better at picking balls than PK.

Edited by Ozzie Montana