The Ross Gload Conspiracy

Anybody notice Ross is hitting .370 in AAA? Sure we could use the good old Hawkism and ask "Where do we play him?", but Paulie nor Everett have been exactly clutch. I would have rather seen him in the outfield over Timo when Pods was hurt. One dropped flyball against the Cubs and everybody thinks he can't play the outfield. Though he is not exactly a gold glover. I suspect that if Konerko signs elsewhere after the season, Gload would likely be our starting 1B next year. Gload hit very well down the stretch last year. Judging by our current offensive anemia, I would say a change is due. Let's stop worrying about where to play KGJ (who will never come) and start thinking about where to play Gload. Get the hot bat some at-bats. Any reason why he should not at-least be on the big league club? :gosoxretro:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gload's injury this season cost him his ability to play the outfield...which wasn't much of an ability to begin with. In the minds of our mgmt., back-up first baseman was not a very critical position. Thus, that's the reason he hasn't been up. Also, it's not like he was tearing the cover off the ball when he was with the Sox THIS season. One of the biggest mistakes someone can make is putting too much stock in minor league numbers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
Gload's injury this season cost him his ability to play the outfield...which wasn't much of an ability to begin with.  In the minds of our mgmt., back-up first baseman was not a very critical position.  Thus, that's the reason he hasn't been up.  Also, it's not like he was tearing the cover off the ball when he was with the Sox THIS season.  One of the biggest mistakes someone can make is putting too much stock in minor league numbers.

His playing time with the team with year was VERY inconsistant, so I can not blame him for not playing well. He has hit well in his other limited playing time last year. Let's face it, the sox are starved for offense.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
your point would be valid if BMac ever had good numbers in the minors.  The only time he has ever been good is the three week stretch in spring training.

Ummm... have you sen his #'s in the past month? Just wondering.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
your point would be valid if BMac ever had good numbers in the minors.  The only time he has ever been good is the three week stretch in spring training.

Yeah, his numbers were really awful in the minors last season. Even though I said not to put too much stock in minor league numbers, it's still a reason to get excited about young prospects. It's the older guys like Gload, Daubach, etc. that have terrific stats in the minors, but it doesn't mean very much at all.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)

:bang :headshake he led the minors in Ks last year and had something like a 7:1 K:BB walk ratio. he also was second in the minors in wins last year. to say he hasnt ever had good numbers outside of spring is not true. i could see the arguement that he hasnt done it at a high level, but he did have good numbers

There is no Ross Gload conspiracy, there never has been. He got squeezed out primarily because they wanted 12 pitchers, and that's been debated to death here (whether that was right or wrong). Nor does Ozzie play favorites, he plays the hand he's dealt.

When they got Blum, a guy who plays multiple positions, it lessened the need for a guy who can arguably only play one (1B).

No doubt they could use another bat though. Whether Ross Gload will provide a needed shot in the arm, we'll see.

All of the above IMO of course.

I don't suspect Paulie will be back next year with the :puke Yanks and :puke Red Cubs likely to throw a ton of money at him. This is fine because I would never overpay for Paulie. That being said, Gload could be the starting 1B next year. If this is a possibility, I would like to see him having more opportunity to prove himself.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't suspect Paulie will be back next year with the  :puke Yanks and  :puke Red Cubs likely to throw a ton of money at him.  This is fine because I would never overpay for Paulie.  That being said, Gload could be the starting 1B next year.  If this is a possibility, I would like to see him having more opportunity to prove himself.

Gload won't be the starting 1b for the Sox next year. I will guarantee that.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Then if Paulie isn't, who do you expect will?

Probably someone we never would have expected. And yes, I think there's a real possibility we strongly consider Dye to play 1b. If the organization thought that Gload could be a full-time starter at a prime position...they would have found a way to keep him on the roster this whole season.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
I don't suspect Paulie will be back next year with the  :puke Yanks and  :puke Red Cubs likely to throw a ton of money at him.  This is fine because I would never overpay for Paulie.  That being said, Gload could be the starting 1B next year.  If this is a possibility, I would like to see him having more opportunity to prove himself.

Konerko has stated recently he doesn't want to go play for an East Coast Team because he doesn't want to live there. That cuts the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox out of the bidding.

And I doubt Gload will be back next season, if he has a choice.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Konerko has stated recently he doesn't want to go play for an East Coast Team because he doesn't want to live there. That cuts the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox out of the bidding.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Konerko go back to the Dodgers. I know Lasorda loves him, and they don't seem very high on Choi.