NFL Rankings

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Just like how Indys O  is great  but it just does not make up for their s***ty D .

Seemed to make up fine against the Bears last year. I'd say that they did a better job of handling it last year, if records are any indication....

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
It's hard for you really to talk about the Bears D when you don't watch the games, this preseason and even some last year they have been just ridiculous. Wait til September 11th when they shut down the Redskins and Portis runs for 42 yards.

I live in Iowa. I got a steady dose of GB, Chicago, and Minnesota last year. Now in Ames, it'll probably be more St. Louis and KC. If you paired the Bears D with a lot of other offenses, they'd be an upper-division team......the Bears could easily hold Portis to 42 yards and still not score enough points to win, you know, just to spite you guys....:P

Some of the posters here are banking on Mushin having a second career year in a row, while expecting Orton and Benson to be world-beaters when they haven't gotten much/any action in even a preseason game. Roethlisberger, Orton's not. I know what Orton and Benson did in college. Doesn't mean a damn thing until they start playing some NFL games.

Edited by Heads22

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
Just like how Indys O  is great  but it just does not make up for their s***ty D .

The difference b/w Indy's O and Chicago's O is >>>>>> Chicago's D and Indy's D.

Indy's got a good front 4 now anyway, with Simon joining the mix.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)

What are you talking about? The Colts had an average D last year and upgraded in talent at every level of their D. The secondary was upgraded by the replacement of Nick Harper and Idrees Bashir with Marlin Jackson and Bob Sanders, the LB corps was upgraded by making Gary Brackett the starter ahead of Blob Morris, and the DL was upgraded with the signing of Simon.

The Bears offense, on the other hand, was the worst in the NFL. They did upgrade their talent a lot, so that might make them an average offense if Orton gets going well. Either way, their defense is going to have to carry them to most if not all of their wins this year.

The Indy have upgraded their D-Line and now its pretty good although their LB and secondary is kind of weak..... still I hear a lot of people thinking Super Bowl when they talk about indy and I can see that happened now that their D is at least respectable and offense is still godly.

As for the Bears no one is expecting Muhsin to have the year he had last year... But he is clearly an upgrade over David Terrel who totally sucked with us... he might revive his career with the Patriots but Terrell here had trouble getting open and when he did he dropped the ball often. Than our O-Line has improved greatly just by not having Quasim Mitchell as a starter and since we start with a pretty weak schedule....Washington, Detroit, Cincy, Bye, Browns.... Benson should be ready when the real competition comes.

And Kyle Orton has looked really good as the QB... I know he threw that int in the TD but just his poise and the way our offense seems to click when he is in....He will start off slow but unlike the QB's from last year he can throw the ball to our WR's deep.

Oh and Thomas Jones had 3 good running games b4 this one he sat out 1 game. And than Cleveland was stacking the line the last game and we didnt even start all our starters and after the first 2 drives they were basicly all gone.

I don't know if NE will have a dropoff or not with some of the losses they've had. However, Indy's season basically = November 7th. Indy's @ NE for the MNF game. I see that game's winner getting home field in the AFC. If Indy can get home field, I think they can get into the Super Bowl with no problems.

There's a big difference between the dominance of the Colts' offense and the Bears' defense. The Colts O set numerous records last year, and while I know the Bears' D wasn't healthy last year, it finished in the middle of the pack. They'd have to lead the league in a few categories to compare. Plus the Colts' D should be middle of the pack with the addition of Simon, the Bear's O will not be. At least the Colts' defense has a couple of playmakers, the Bears have one guy coming off a career year.

Pre-Season means nothing. Teams aren't playing their top players very long (not at all in some cases) and are usually not using all of their playbook. You're basically trying to predict success for the Bears' D based on a scrimmage, and against mostly weak offensive teams at that. Remember, the 85 Bears were winless in the preseason. Do you really think that the Colts' juggernaut of an offense is going to struggle like it did in the Pre-season?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
What are you talking about? The Colts had an average D last year and upgraded in talent at every level of their D. The secondary was upgraded by the replacement of Nick Harper and Idrees Bashir with Marlin Jackson and Bob Sanders, the LB corps was upgraded by making Gary Brackett the starter ahead of Blob Morris, and the DL was upgraded with the signing of Simon.

The Bears offense, on the other hand, was the worst in the NFL. They did upgrade their talent a lot, so that might make them an average offense if Orton gets going well. Either way, their defense is going to have to carry them to most if not all of their wins this year.

ha look at the link http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-...ar?sort_col_1=4

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
There's a big difference between the dominance of the Colts' offense and the Bears' defense. The Colts O set numerous records last year, and while I know the Bears' D wasn't healthy last year, it finished in the middle of the pack. They'd have to lead the league in a few categories to compare. Plus the Colts' D should be middle of the pack with the addition of Simon, the Bear's O will not be. At least the Colts' defense has a couple of playmakers, the Bears have one guy coming off a career year.

Pre-Season means nothing. Teams aren't playing their top players very long (not at all in some cases) and are usually not using all of their playbook. You're basically trying to predict success for the Bears' D based on a scrimmage, and against mostly weak offensive teams at that. Remember, the 85 Bears were winless in the preseason. Do you really think that the Colts' juggernaut of an offense is going to struggle like it did in the Pre-season?

The bears also had key injuries to half their defense last year. What would Indys offense be without any 2 of the following: Manning, James, Harrison, wayne , stokley,

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
The difference b/w Indy's O and Chicago's O is >>>>>> Chicago's D and Indy's D.

Indy's got a good front 4 now anyway, with Simon joining the mix.

are you talking about Chicagos offense last year with quin and a depleted line? Terrell as the go to guy? Jones getting plays to run up the middle 3 and out?

Bears improvements >>>>>> INDYS improvements

BTW I see how you are quick to point out Indys upgrades but don't like to acknowledge the bears MAJOR improvements.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
are you talking about Chicagos offense last year with quin and a depleted line? Terrell as the go to guy? Jones getting plays to run up the middle 3 and out?

I don't necessarily agree with that, but still...

2005-2006 season:

Indy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)

Without a solid QB, you can't say the Bears improved that much. I'm talking about the Bears without their starting QB again.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I don't necessarily agree with that, but still...

2005-2006 season:

Indy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago

I do not disagree. I'm just tired of everyone Saying you can't win without O. I guess you can win without D huh? Not really. If the ultimate goal for any franchise was just to get to the AFC championship game every year , then I guess you don need a decent D.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I do not disagree.  I'm just tired of everyone Saying you can't win without O. I guess you can win without D huh? Not really. If the ultimate goal for any franchise was just to get to the AFC championship game every year , then I guess you don need a decent D.

I'm pretty sure Indy's not satisfied with just going to the AFC Championship every year. If you haven't noticed, Indy's done plenty this offseason to improve their defense.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
getting rid of Quinn and Krenzel are probably an improvemnt within itself. Yeah, last year was THAT bad.

I know the Bears weren't planning this, but I'd say the Bears are still back at square one when it comes to a QB.

Orton should not be the answer, yet.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
getting rid of Quinn and Krenzel are probably an improvemnt within itself. Yeah, last year was THAT bad.

Again, until Mr. Orton proves anything in an NFL game, the Bears are nothing. I'll give you credit if he Roethlisberger's the NFL, but I don't see it happening.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
I'm pretty sure Indy's not satisfied with just going to the AFC Championship every year.  If you haven't noticed, Indy's done plenty this offseason to improve their defense.

as the bears have with their offense. But that does not seem to get noticed around these parts because we have a rookie starting QB. In reality, how much more expierienced is Grossman over Orton? Grossman has a better knowledge on the playbook but as for on the field play, I still consider Grossman a rookie ( he has yet to play a full season)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Again, until Mr. Orton proves anything in an NFL game, the Bears are nothing. I'll give you credit if he Roethlisberger's the NFL, but I don't see it happening.

I don't see that either, but since when is the bears O revolved around the QB position? It helps to have 2 decent running backs.

Ok I dont think the debate is between whether which team is better... its obviously the colts.... and while their defense has improved its still weak in the LB and Secondary departments.... So they will prob finish in the 15-25 range.

Also you people seem to think Muhsin has never had a good season b4... he has had a couple 1000 yard seasons b4 one with 102 catches. In 2003 he was taking a back seat to Steve Smith who has taken over the number 1 spot but when Smith went down in 2004 Muhsin just showed he is still number 1 material when needed.

Here is the bottom line the Bears have upgraded a lot this off-season whether you haters want to admit it or not, and anything under a 7-9 season would be a dissapointment but I think they can do 9-7 if we remain healthy and Orton isnt as bad as Quinn/Krenzel.

The good thing is if we play some good football we can easily be 4-0 to begin the season. Washington, Detroit, Cincy, Bye, and Cleveland..... all very winnable games... and hell we should be favorites even by the haters to beat Cleveland :P

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
I know the Bears weren't planning this, but I'd say the Bears are still back at square one when it comes to a QB. 

Orton should not be the answer, yet.

Back to square one at qb, I agree. I feel it would hurt the bears more if they lost key players on D or lost their running game. Like I stated, the bears usually revolve their gameplay around , running the ball/killing clock/playing good D .

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
NFL teams rarely have success without a top-half QB.

Jim Miller 2001 :bang The Bears have the tools to make up for that this year. Good O line, Good D, good Rbs, decent Wr's

If you have a lower half D and qb, then you have no chance to do anything, I feel if you have everything else BUT a qb , you have a shot.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Plus the Colts' D should be middle of the pack with the addition of Simon

No way, Zoom.

While I like the D-Line, their LB core is atrocious, and their secondary is incredibly raw.

They're in the 27-32 bracket with these teams IMO:

Indianapolis

Detroit

New Orleans

San Francisco

Green Bay

Kansas City

And a major lack of depth at LB and in the secondary is going to mean insanely awful coverage on special teams, which is absolutely huge.

Didnt the Ravens win the superbowl with Dilfer who than lost his job the next season and tell me again who Tampa won the superbowl with who has also lost his job..... Both those teams won with defense and mostly a solid running game something we are trying to do.

We arent going to the Super Bowl this year but I can really see us making a run next season and hell if we do bad this year for whatevr reason it just gives us a chance to add an immediate impact player for next year from the draft. Next year is when im expecting playoffs this year im hoping for an 8-8/9-7 season expecting at least 7-9.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Ok I dont think the debate is between whether which team is better... its obviously the colts.... and while their defense has improved its still weak in the LB and Secondary departments....  So they will prob finish in the 15-25 range.

No way, dude. :D

First off, that's a pretty big freaking range. The teams in that range would be much, much better defensive teams than the Colts.

16-21 (No particular order)

Minnesota

NY Giants

Tennessee

Cleveland

St. Louis

Arizona

22-26 (No particular order)

Cincinatti

Miami

Houston

Oakland

Seattle

Can you make an argument for the Colts over any one of these teams in the 16-26 bracket? Perhaps Seattle and Oakland, but that's it.

And I know that certain people will tell you to wait until they start playing the games to evaluate them, but you ain't gotta wait that long. This Indianapolis defense is going to suck BIG TIME, a bottom 1/6 defense for certain.

Edited by hammerhead johnson