Six-man rotation

Milkman delivers

This is a case where Ozzie and Coop need to ask the other starters for their input. Then, if they think the guys are not getting wore down do it how the pitchers want to do it. However, if they are getting signs of them running out of gas, use BMac in some way to get them a little extra rest.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
First of all, this topic is hilarious because of who started it. 6 hours ago, BMac was a washed up loser, now you want him in the rotation?

I started this thread because rangercal said someone should make a thread about it to argue the points. Then, I gave reasons why I'd probably be a little worried to throw him into the rotation. Plus, I never called him a washed up loser. I just said I didn't have faith in him to do anything special this year because of his prior results in the majors. But, it's cool to make things up, I guess.

There will probably be a spot start or two toward the end of the season to set up the playoff rotation. I would assume that Ozzie will have Mark, Freddy, and Garland coming in on their regular rest. As long as things do not get too tight, Ozzie will have that luxury.

With the September call ups, Oz will have more arms in the bullpen and presumably will be quicker to shut down the starters.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
here's an idea...

ask the other 5 guys what they think of the idea.  if, by unanymous(sp?) decision they vote in favor of it, there is your answer.

I'd take it down to a four man rotation. We need to win this thing before we worry about the playoffs. BMAC, Duque, Jose, Garcia

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
I'd take it down to a four man rotation. We need to win this thing before we worry about the playoffs. BMAC, Duque, Jose, Garcia

Your the only one... and if thats sarcasm use the green cant tell on a message board if people are sarcastic or not.

Guillen looks at six-man rotation

September 1, 2005

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The White Sox' coaching staff has started to map out a six-man rotation plan for the final month, and the starters don't seem to mind the idea of a little extra rest.

Brandon McCarthy's outing Tuesday, in which he gave up just two hits in 72/3 innings in the second game of a doubleheader, was the inspiration for the six-man plan. But the plan is contingent on how well McCarthy pitches Monday at Boston.

''We're thinking about it, but I don't know for sure how we'll react, how those guys with one more day off will pitch,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said Wednesday. ''But it was in our mind this morning about sitting down and talking about who they were going to face, how would the matchups be. If McCarthy throws well in Boston, it's a pretty good option. But right now I don't know about it. Right now we're just thinking about it.''

The Sox have just one more day off this season, Sept. 12. They will end the season by playing 20 consecutive days. If they advance to the postseason, they will get only one day off before opening the division series.

''Obviously, I want to pitch every five days,'' Mark Buehrle said, "but [McCarthy] is throwing the ball well. There is no reason why you can't get him in there, especially if you're talking about getting us some more rest. That'd be a perfect fit.''

The fear is that the starters would get off their normal pitching pattern with a potential playoff appearance approaching. In the playoffs, some Sox pitchers might be asked to start on only three days' rest. To Buehrle, none of that matters.

''A lot of times this year we've gone with five days' rest, so I don't know how many times I've [pitched] on the sixth day, and then I've also gone on seven days,'' Buehrle said. ''I don't think that will affect anything.''

HELP ARRIVING: The Sox are expected to add left-hander David Sanders, infielder Ross Gload and catcher Raul Casanova to the major-league team today, the first day rosters are allowed to expand. All three have major-league experience.

Through Tuesday, Sanders was 4-2 at Class AAA Charlotte with a 3.02 ERA in 57 relief appearances. Gload was batting .371 with 15 home runs and 45 RBI in 59 games at Charlotte. Casanova, who has played in the majors for Detroit, Milwaukee and Baltimore, was batting .271 at Charlotte with 13 homers and 42 RBI.

After Charlotte's season ends Monday, the Sox will recall right-hander Jeff Bajenaru and outfielders Brian Anderson and Joe Borchard. Neither catcher Jamie Burke nor reliever Jon Adkins is expected to be recalled.

General manager Ken Williams will keep Class AA Birmingham's roster intact because the Barons are headed for the Southern League playoffs.

IGUCHI SITS: When Tadahito Iguchi made three errors Monday, Guillen noted that his second baseman looked more tired than anything else. So Guillen rested Iguchi in the first game of Tuesday's doubleheader and again Wednesday.

Japanese reporters had noted that Iguchi was dealing with a slight vision problem over the weekend in which he had trouble focusing out of his right eye. The problem was not considered serious and has not been an issue the last two days. Guillen said Iguchi's day off Wednesday had nothing to do with his vision.

Scott Podsednik also was rested after playing in both games Tuesday.

MINOR HONORS: Birmingham first baseman Casey Rogowski and outfielder Jerry Owens were named to the Southern League's postseason all-star team. As of Tuesday, Rogowski was batting .289 with eight homers and 71 RBI. Owens was leading the league in batting average (.337), hits (168) and runs (95) and was tied for third in stolen bases (34).

This can become a reality

I have to say no to the six-man rotation. Let's face it Garland needs some more wins. Right now, he has very little confidence it seems. He's been stuck on trying to get no. 17 for like 3 weeks now. He needs that f***ing win real bad. Buehrle is a workhorse and loves all those innings, so just let him keep pitching. Garcia could use some more innings too. The Cubans are iffy, but El Duque really need some confidence before the postseason. I do have to say that Jose has been our best pitcher as of lately. B-Mac pitched well against Texas, but the only reason he was called up was to give El Duque regular rest. We should not move to a six-man rotation.

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
I have to say no to the six-man rotation. Let's face it Garland needs some more wins. Right now, he has very little confidence it seems. He's been stuck on trying to get no. 17 for like 3 weeks now. He needs that f***ing win real bad. Buehrle is a workhorse and loves all those innings, so just let him keep pitching. Garcia could use some more innings too. The Cubans are iffy, but El Duque really need some confidence before the postseason. I do have to say that Jose has been our best pitcher as of lately. B-Mac pitched well against Texas, but the only reason he was called up was to give El Duque regular rest. We should not move to a six-man rotation.

Garland has left with the lead, only to have the bullpen blow it for him, twice since that 17th victory, iirc.

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)

Personal statistics mean nothing. Having Jon ready to pitch in October is all that really matters.